Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 06:44 AM

202 posts, read 173,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanent alien View Post
I have few (maybe stupid) concerns. Do you, good people of NC let your children play out on your backyards? Seen a lot of posts about snakes and spiders (copperheads and black widows in particular ) that often appears on the backyards. Even though they should not attack first, but kids being kids - they can step on it or try take in their hands, won’t see them and get to close, etc...
Is that right that kids are sitting at home most of the time because of the possible danger in the backyard.
Also what os the situation with ticks there?
Nonsense, my kids are outside all the time in our backyard. We've yet to see a snake, never seen a poisonous spider (many daddy long legs which are harmless). Sure, there are a lot of mosquitoes starting in mid-June or so, and ants, etc... but there is a wonderful invention called bug spray or lotion. My kids rarely get bit up. Once my son got a tick, but it was from the Durham Nature Center, and it was a big wood tick...harmless.

If you get your yard sprayed and hire pest control from May - late Sept you will be fine. There are no kids sitting at home in our neighborhood; they are out on scooters, playing in cul de sacs, and living life.

We moved from Phoenix where it's over 100 everyday from late May - early October, scorpions, rattlers, more poisonous spiders.. my kids were basically inside for 5 months of the year. Awful. And not to mention air quality there was abysmal. Now, AZ is not CA, but certainly kids can be outdoors here all year long, unless its pouring rain.... even in 30 degrees (which is rare) my kids play outside.

Comparing NC to CA is like comparing Apples to Grapes, I mean they are both different. The one constant difference is price - to live somewhere in CA with everyone you want will cost you a lot more than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 07:02 AM

202 posts, read 173,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
If you live in a house in NC plan to give up outdoor privacy. Most California houses have solid fencing and backyards are your own private oasis. Here there is an insistence on either no fences at all, via HOA restrictions, or see thru fencing. Older homes on larger lots are thick with trees, mostly pines or junk trees, and that’s what gives the impression of privacy. That may seem weird for you or you may embrace the shared openness of it.
That's an overall east, mid-west thing though.. it's not just NC. Or you can live in Phoenix behind a brick wall with a patch of grass and maybe a pool. Most of CA the same... It's just a preference.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:16 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I have a 6 foot tall privacy fence and have no idea what y'all are talking about.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:11 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
That's an overall east, mid-west thing though.. it's not just NC. Or you can live in Phoenix behind a brick wall with a patch of grass and maybe a pool. Most of CA the same... It's just a preference.
Yes it tends to be so for much of the east coast but it answers the question posed of California versus Cary. And of course there are exceptions.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:14 PM

56 posts, read 52,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
Nonsense, my kids are outside all the time in our backyard. We've yet to see a snake, never seen a poisonous spider (many daddy long legs which are harmless). Sure, there are a lot of mosquitoes starting in mid-June or so, and ants, etc... but there is a wonderful invention called bug spray or lotion. My kids rarely get bit up. Once my son got a tick, but it was from the Durham Nature Center, and it was a big wood tick...harmless.

If you get your yard sprayed and hire pest control from May - late Sept you will be fine. There are no kids sitting at home in our neighborhood; they are out on scooters, playing in cul de sacs, and living life.

We moved from Phoenix where it's over 100 everyday from late May - early October, scorpions, rattlers, more poisonous spiders.. my kids were basically inside for 5 months of the year. Awful. And not to mention air quality there was abysmal. Now, AZ is not CA, but certainly kids can be outdoors here all year long, unless its pouring rain.... even in 30 degrees (which is rare) my kids play outside.

Comparing NC to CA is like comparing Apples to Grapes, I mean they are both different. The one constant difference is price - to live somewhere in CA with everyone you want will cost you a lot more than here.
Your post is definitely re-assuring

Old 05-20-2019, 09:05 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Your post is definitely re-assuring
Did you visit Denver or Raleigh yet? What's the verdict and why?

My house is under contract here in Denver and I am about to make the move as soon as I close on it.

Right now Denver is gorgeous... finally spring made it here, although we supposed to get some snow again tomorrow.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM

56 posts, read 52,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Did you visit Denver or Raleigh yet? What's the verdict and why?

My house is under contract here in Denver and I am about to make the move as soon as I close on it.

Right now Denver is gorgeous... finally spring made it here, although we supposed to get some snow again tomorrow.
We still up for the visits. Spring Finally? with 10 inch of snow? It's cool though, I have nothing against the snow and the nature in the area is still beautiful

Old 05-22-2019, 01:41 PM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
We still up for the visits. Spring Finally? with 10 inch of snow? It's cool though, I have nothing against the snow and the nature in the area is still beautiful
cool. good luck!

there is barely spring in colorado. it's snows on and off until may and then it gets really hot. summer in the rockies is gorgeous though. if you visit, you should definitely check the RMNP out, go to breck... and if you have any time check out vail or aspen too. the scenery is epic... the independence pass is amazing.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:47 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Quote:
I have few (maybe stupid) concerns. Do you, good people of NC let your children play out on your backyards? Seen a lot of posts about snakes and spiders (copperheads and black widows in particular ) that often appears on the backyards. Even though they should not attack first, but kids being kids - they can step on it or try take in their hands, won’t see them and get to close, etc...
Is that right that kids are sitting at home most of the time because of the possible danger in the backyard.
Also what os the situation with ticks there?
I have been here almost 20 years, and in that time I've caught 1 black widow and 1 tick bite, no copperheads or brown recluses. Honestly, the main reason for not doing things outside is the heat/humidity in the summer. Year-round school helps a bit with that!

Old 07-07-2019, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 735 times
I'm a little late on this post but I'm from Orange County CA and moved to the Cary area July of last year. There's a lot of things that i do miss but there's also a lot of things that I don't miss about California. Every state has their pros and cons. So you will have to deal with the "bad" no matter which state you are in..

What I love about NC:

-less traffic, you can drive freely anywhere..

-Lightning bugs
-Friendlier people
-People here are less materialistic and more about family
-There are less attractions here such as disneyland, zoos, aquariums but they have a TON of events going on to keep you and your family busy. We go to events monthly and we are never bored!. It might seem boring here, you just have to look a little harder. You can find lots to do on facebook events or other websites. They have so many camps/classes/activities for kids as well.

-Beautiful biking trails
-It's SOO green here during the spring/summer. I've never seen grass so green
-Amazing hospitals, the emergency room literally has no wait. I've been to the ER twice for my son and we were seen right away. In CA the ER is always crowded and the wait could take hours. Even dentist/doctor's offices are much nicer. Doctors here a lot more down to earth too. I've encountered many snobbish doctors in CA.

-You can drive to SEVERAL big cities in less than 8 hours.. Atlanta, Columbus, Washington DC, Nashville, Virginia beach, Myrtle Beach etc.. We are surrounded by so many states. In CA you are a bit more limited, most people go to vegas, portland or phoenix. We have more options here when it comes to traveling.

-We are still near the beach and moutains. The mountains here are so much more beautiful in my opinion.
-FOUR seasons! Every season here is beautiful. it snows a few days a year here so it's not overwhelming.

-Better grocery stores. We are getting a Wegman's grocery here in Raleigh/Cary this year. It's considered the best grocery store in the country! way better than ralphs, vons, whole foods
-Stores around the holidays/black friday aren't as crazy as CA.
-Great schools

-Cary is just beautiful... so many beautiful trees, homes, shopping centers.. it's just a lovely/refreshing city. it's a growing city.

What I dislike about NC:
-The summers are humid but more towards the end of summer. The beginning of summer isn't bad.
-So many bugs EVERYWHERE in the summer!! Thankfully none in my home but they are everywhere outside.
-You can't see the horizon in most places. Can't really see the sunrise or sunset

-the freeway's view is nothing but trees. In Ca there's lots to see on the freeways. mountains, hills, shopping centers, homes, the horizon..
-it's always quiet outside. not much nightlife. I miss being able to go out at night to the santa monica pier, los angeles etc. you can always find crowds at night in CA. Here, you can still go to restaurants/movies at night but not a whole lot more.. but you could always go on a road trip to a bigger city.

I think the pros outweigh the cons.. I love NC and could never move back to CA. It took some getting use to. I regretted the move for several months but now i love it and it feels like home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary