Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,609 times

Advertisements

What are the things that you miss most from California. We are thinking of making a move and wonder if any details or items stick out that are not available in Cary. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 03:14 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,833 times
According to my wife: not having to use air conditioning, walking or biking in the summer without sweating, In-and-Out Burger (though she does like Hardee’s), churros, Disney Land, Chinatown, Koreatown, Samoans who “have her back if stuff went sideways...”, being minutes to the beach, only needing one light jacket if a hoodie wasn’t enough, cool-looking conifer trees, shorts at Christmas, decorating for the Rose Parade, friends with convertibles, not ever having seen a real scary thunderstorm or tornado.

Some things she doesn’t miss—“fire season,” earthquakes, mudslides, TRAFFIC, the insane cost of real estate...

Old 04-25-2019, 04:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
I miss.....

the weather (it's too hot here and I don't like humidity)
lack of bugs and snakes (way too many mosquitos and snakes here)
not having to worry about tornados and lightening
having more plants to choose from for my garden
being able to be outside day/night all 12 months

But with that being said....I really wouldn't want to move back there unless I could afford a beautiful home with lots of land in Carmel.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:17 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
Cheap Tri-Tip from Smart & Final....picturesque coastline/beaches, The Sierras...if you are into snow skiing. However, if you are into boating/skiing/fishing, you can get on a lake here without having to take a number, or getting run over. Unions/union wages, and as mentioned....no humidity.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-25-2019, 05:25 PM

321 posts, read 257,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Cheap Tri-Tip from Smart & Final....picturesque coastline/beaches, The Sierras...if you are into snow skiing. However, if you are into boating/skiing/fishing, you can get on a lake here without having to take a number, or getting run over. Unions/union wages, and as mentioned....no humidity.

Regards
Gemstone1
On balance, would you say the move was worth giving those things up?

Old 04-25-2019, 07:17 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaka View Post
What are the things that you miss most from California. We are thinking of making a move and wonder if any details or items stick out that are not available in Cary. Thanks
Sorry, but the list is just toooo long.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:33 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I am not exactly your target audience for this question, but I'll throw in my two cents. I'm an NC native, but lived in California briefly a long time ago. Made some good friends then and am still friends with them now. We went out to CA to visit this past August. Went from LA up the coast to SF, but the fire season was so bad this August we actually cut our trip short. We could not get into Yosemite because of the Ferguson fire, so then we were going to re-route and go up north but the Mendocino and Carr fires broke out and we just decided to bail and use some frequent flyer miles to come back to NC. Give me rain and hurricanes any day over the fires.

We enjoyed visiting our friends and it was somewhat fun to show our teenagers California, but really there's not much there that I would want to bring here. Certainly there's some amazing scenery, but we couldn't get to half of it. NC has some beautiful spots here too, gorgeous sandy beaches and the ocean is much more swimmable. The mountains are smaller and older, but beautiful, expansive and tree-covered. I love to travel, but I was really glad to get home. I will not go to California in the summer again any time soon. Too dry, too crowded. Felt dusty and dirty and so very very smokey almost everywhere we went that wasn't within 5 miles or less of the coast. I was glad to get back to the humidity.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:41 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
According to my wife: not having to use air conditioning, walking or biking in the summer without sweating, In-and-Out Burger (though she does like Hardee’s), churros, Disney Land, Chinatown, Koreatown, Samoans who “have her back if stuff went sideways...”, being minutes to the beach, only needing one light jacket if a hoodie wasn’t enough, cool-looking conifer trees, shorts at Christmas, decorating for the Rose Parade, friends with convertibles, not ever having seen a real scary thunderstorm or tornado.

Some things she doesn’t miss—“fire season,” earthquakes, mudslides, TRAFFIC, the insane cost of real estate...
As a native of NC who lived in SoCal for 5 years, one huge difference that I think you would love about NC is the tree canopy's much taller height than in Southern California.

It creates a much bigger space that you're in all the time and puts everything in a different perspective.

California really doesn't have a tree canopy at all and the few trees of the "marine desert" which is what it is, aren't much taller than the roofs of single family homes.

The price for that tall, continuous tree canopy is giving up being able to see for miles in the distance like you can in Riverside County and the Palm Springs area.

SoCal is brown all year more or less and the East Coast really transitions to completely different looking surroundings every 6 months.

Oh when it rains, it's not like the mist on the West Coast. Sometimes it rains so hard that you cannot see 3' in front of you, and it's more like a bucket of water being thrown on your head.

The Ocean gets very warm in Summer, just swim in the middle of a bunch of people so the sharks will be bite them first.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:20 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
As a native of NC who lived in SoCal for 5 years, one huge difference that I think you would love about NC is the tree canopy's much taller height than in Southern California.

It creates a much bigger space that you're in all the time and puts everything in a different perspective.

California really doesn't have a tree canopy at all and the few trees of the "marine desert" which is what it is, aren't much taller than the roofs of single family homes.

The price for that tall, continuous tree canopy is giving up being able to see for miles in the distance like you can in Riverside County and the Palm Springs area.

SoCal is brown all year more or less and the East Coast really transitions to completely different looking surroundings every 6 months.

Oh when it rains, it's not like the mist on the West Coast. Sometimes it rains so hard that you cannot see 3' in front of you, and it's more like a bucket of water being thrown on your head.

The Ocean gets very warm in Summer, just swim in the middle of a bunch of people so the sharks will be bite them first.
Interesting ... I picked up my brother in law and and his wife at RDU last night. Former east coast folks, they've lived outside LA for a few years now. The first thing they mentioned was how big the trees are ... even before they mentioned the pollen :-)

Frank

Old 04-26-2019, 07:15 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times
We moved here from California (Northern) 10 years ago and let me tell you what I DONT miss first:

Earthquakes
Traffic
Wildfires
Lack of 4 seasons
high cost of living

What I miss about California:

.....crickets

What I love about NC:

4 seasons
beaches
cost of living
slower pace of life
friendlier people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary