Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2019, 03:29 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
They're not allowed to advertise babysitting services? I've always been impressed with those kids for finding their audience.
They technically aren't supposed to. I usually let it slide unless someone reports it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 03:33 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
They're not allowed to advertise babysitting services? I've always been impressed with those kids for finding their audience.

Unfortunately, no. Not pet sitting, cleaning services, gardening, window washing, power washing, etc. You can't promote any profit enterprise (business) using your personal account on Nexdoor. UNLESS someone asks for babysitting services - then the kids can reply to the request.

I'm not thrilled about deleting those threads, but that's how NextDoor makes a profit and that's how they stay on line for free. They sell advertisements/sponsorships to businesses who are selling child care, pet sitting, house cleaning, landscaping, window washing, power washing, etc etc etc.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:25 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
"free" works so well, until the provider realizes that letting people use it for free produces no revenue. Then they've got to charge advertisers, since they've hooked users on free. The the advertisers are like "hey, I paid you for that, and you let a competing entity solicit business!"

and I did not know you were a Lead, pierre. I'm guessing for 5 Pts only?

Old 06-07-2019, 05:31 PM

708 posts, read 577,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Does anyone know what that loud noise was last night?

So true...Or the loud BOOM!

Old 06-07-2019, 06:18 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
"free" works so well, until the provider realizes that letting people use it for free produces no revenue. Then they've got to charge advertisers, since they've hooked users on free. The the advertisers are like "hey, I paid you for that, and you let a competing entity solicit business!"

and I did not know you were a Lead, pierre. I'm guessing for 5 Pts only?
Yep - no idea how I became one but it just gave me that role one day. I’m one of the 6 or 7 leads for Five Points. We see all the reported posts in all the surrounding neighborhoods and get to vote on whether it should be removed or not.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:09 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
This is the best thing on ND
Yeager - Hero Dog Awards | American Humane : Hero Dog Awards | American Humane

Old 06-08-2019, 06:12 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
The ring doorbell videos have gotten annoying. I use Blink cameras at my house and they're affiliated with Ring via Amazon. I got a notification to download the Ring app to get info on local "crimes" from people posting their ring videos.

It's day in/day out "unknown person ringing doorbell" or "person taking a picture of their car at night - weird!" or some other random garbage.
While we have a couple of those we actually have some pretty scary ones too. The one posted a couple nights ago was really disturbing!

Old 06-08-2019, 06:57 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
The thread title sounds like the name of an episode of The Big Bang Theory.

(Ok, I’ll see myself out now.)

Old 06-08-2019, 07:32 AM

397 posts, read 805,053 times
Nextdoor can be really good, if you use it right.

Getting recommendations for electricians, plumbers, various repairs and other stuff can be a huge help.

The internet is full of negativity. Any public forum, just like this one, you have to be selective in what you participate in.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:01 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
Nextdoor can be really good, if you use it right.

Getting recommendations for electricians, plumbers, various repairs and other stuff can be a huge help.

The internet is full of negativity. Any public forum, just like this one, you have to be selective in what you participate in.

That's correct - there's a lot of good on Nextdoor. And there's a lot of personal attacks and people twisting everything into a political manner that you need to ignore and not get sucked into, and it's VERY EASY to get sucked into that - because with today's politics, everyone's jet fuel gets burning pretty quickly.

For all the crime detectives and people who don't have jobs (or I guess work from home?) and look out their windows all day - well, I have noticed theft/burglary increase in many of these west Cary neighborhoods so I don't really mind that.

A neighbor recently called the Cary Police non-emergency number for a nice-looking Jeep Wrangler sitting in front of their house for over 40 min - Cary police came out right away, asked the Jeep owner what they were doing and they said they were there for a dinner party, but didn't have enough time to go home from a previous activity and didn't want to bother the host too early, so decided to just sit in their car for a while. Cary police checked it out in 5 min and went on their way. I met the said Jeep owner at this dinner party and he and wife didn't think it was a big deal that Cary police came and politely asked them what they were doing. Cary police actually has good reviews for most everything.

Our neighborhood has seen many cars who sit there for 30-40 min who are casing neighborhoods and see when people leave their house and on what days so people didn't mind this neighbor calling the non-emergency number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary