Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2019, 11:05 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times

Advertisements

Snark and sarcasm are some of my favorite qualities.

I have been accused of snark here on CD which is fine with me. I usually reserve it in an online forum such as this or ND, in what I'll call the Alfred E Newman context; Snappy Answers for Stupid Questions.

Think I was accused of snark here when another poster claimed that Worcester MA is as nice/nicer than Raleigh. Feel like snark and sarcasm are the only possible responses to such as statement.

For anyone who has never been to Worcester MA, that is literally the equivalent of saying Henderson is as nice/nicer than Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 11:31 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
There is bound to be some snark on CD.
CD is so much broader, deeper, and richer in appeal and content development than Next Door, and also anonymous for comfort for keyboard warriors, so it attracts a great many more members and lurkers than does Next Door.
OTOH, often "snark" is the viewpoint of a poster who feels their vision was not satisfactorily revered.

The numbers indicate that there will be more differences of opinions just due to much higher participation.
This is also why CD moves quickly. There always seems to be another topic, perhaps repetitive like ND, but they just keep coming.

We are blessed to have contributing membership from multiple counties and cities, whereas my Next Door is my neighborhood and 89 proximate neighborhoods.
That diverse membership has helped me learn more about the Triangle and North Carolina than I would ever expect to learn from Next Door.
Where would I find this on ND?
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...aleigh-if.html
Or, this:
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...42-i-87-a.html

Or, this:
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-northern.html

I just spent about 10 minutes scrolling through my ND portal, and picked up on 3 real estate agents' open solicitations of posters.
And, people pimping real estate agents, painting, etc, too.

There's really nothing wrong with either site. Your enjoyment will depend on what your needs are for visiting.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-10-2019 at 11:39 AM..

Old 06-10-2019, 01:13 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

Think I was accused of snark here when another poster claimed that Worcester MA is as nice/nicer than Raleigh. Feel like snark and sarcasm are the only possible responses to such as statement.

For anyone who has never been to Worcester MA, that is literally the equivalent of saying Henderson is as nice/nicer than Raleigh.
Lol. A comparison deserving of snark for sure.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
lol. A comparison deserving of snark for sure.
Agreed.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
You want snark?

Join the FB group for Wake Forest! Don't dare mention a snake. You will be accused of everything from not knowing NC has snakes before you moved here to being racist! I don't know HOW they make the jump but some days, it is quite comical to read!!!

My Nextdoor is pretty tame compared to some. The biggest issue are the people that allow their pets (especially cats) to roam free and then wonder WHY they didn't come home at night! They then debate on whether or not it is bad for the cat's morale to be house bound! I don't give my cat a choice! She stays indoors and safe! LOL

Old 06-10-2019, 02:34 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times

Here's news, recommendations, and replies from my Next Door Digest from today.
Wild Stuff:

News & Info
• Great class at Town of Cary next weekend
• Swim Lessons!

Recommendations
• Top soil / land fill
• French Teacher / Tutor

Replies
• Turtle rescue 🐢
• Mosquito controls and the unintended consequences
• Hearing Aid
• Cataract Dr
• Interested in buying your home for my family!
• What’s going in where Tijuana Flats was?
• Doggie and Kitty Nail Trims
• Wormy thing
• Wedding gown alterations
• invaded by ants!
• looking for someone to build a retaining wall
• Reliable Yard Maintenance Person needed ASAP
• Babysitting/elderly companion/housesitting
• Gutter Cleaner
• Help with home cleaning - cancer patient
• Restoring an old car
• College prep
• ISO buttons & craft items
• call us to schedule your free estimate!!

Old 06-10-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
You want snark?

Join the FB group for Wake Forest! Don't dare mention a snake. You will be accused of everything from not knowing NC has snakes before you moved here to being racist! I don't know HOW they make the jump but some days, it is quite comical to read!!!

My Nextdoor is pretty tame compared to some. The biggest issue are the people that allow their pets (especially cats) to roam free and then wonder WHY they didn't come home at night! They then debate on whether or not it is bad for the cat's morale to be house bound! I don't give my cat a choice! She stays indoors and safe! LOL
I joined FB in 2003, when you had to have a college email address to join it.

I downloaded all my data and deleted my account as a result of all their shady ass data "privacy" policies that came to light over the last 2.5 years.

Facebook will be a case study in a generation about how greed and the pursuit of infinite growth will destroy your product if you don't conduct yourself righteously.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:17 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
I gotta say, people get really annoyed by outdoor cats around here. Where I came from, there were indoor cats and outdoor cats. The outdoor cats would come and go as they pleased - nobody cared.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:25 PM

420 posts, read 452,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Well I'd say that it's not just NextDoor. We've completely replaced verbal communication with online/virtual communication and while there have been numerous positives - access to information (and speed of that access)........it's come at the cost of people thinking that they can say anything that they want without consideration of the actual human on the other end of things (things that you normally wouldn't say to someone in person).

That being said, NextDoor can only be toxic if you let it be - if you use it to get whatever you want out of it and don't get emotionally attached or participating in too many debates, it's a good tool

EXACTLY! Right again Pierre (as usual)!

Old 06-10-2019, 03:50 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I gotta say, people get really annoyed by outdoor cats around here. Where I came from, there were indoor cats and outdoor cats. The outdoor cats would come and go as they pleased - nobody cared.
When we lived in a small town, people did allow their cats to roam. But, the lots were larger and as a kid, I just don't remember any issues.

Nowadays, I can understand people that are bothered by having a cat use their flower beds as a bathroom. The smell of cat pee is like no other smell! And I don't mean that in a good way! That stuff should be able to run a car!

And people don't like their birds being killed by cats, which I do understand.

By the way, I have an indoor cat. I keep her safe.

I had an acquaintance that allowed her two cats to roam outdoors, in a very wooded neighborhood. Many of the neighbors mentioned there were coyotes in the area. When one of her beautiful cats didn't come home and people explained all this to her, she got very angry with the neighbors, etc. I felt sad for the cat that didn't come home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary