Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 09:50 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
From the CDC

As such, I would ask you, how should the admins of Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Bush II have "prioritized" preparing for a specific virus which seemingly hadn't mutated into existence yet?
Reagan wouldn't even *say* the word AIDS until 1987, after he was already in office for 6 years and it was already 6 years from the time the first AIDS cases were discovered and identified as a new virus in the U.S. His administration literally laughed at AIDS in the beginning, didn't want to fund research into this new disease more than minimally, if even that. It's one of the great disgraces of his presidency. Bush 1 was marginally better, but not a whole lot better. I remember the demonstrations by different groups, primarily ACTUp and people begging the government not to ignore AIDS. The virus had spread worldwide, was in the blood supply, and Reagan & his cronies had their heads in the ground (or up their arses as it were). This is all well-documented.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:06 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Reagan wouldn't even *say* the word AIDS until 1987, after he was already in office for 6 years and it was already 6 years from the time the first AIDS cases were discovered and identified as a new virus in the U.S. His administration literally laughed at AIDS in the beginning, didn't want to fund research into this new disease more than minimally, if even that. It's one of the great disgraces of his presidency. Bush 1 was marginally better, but not a whole lot better. I remember the demonstrations by different groups, primarily ACTUp and people begging the government not to ignore AIDS.

There was a a short "documentary" a few years ago that played audio from Press Briefings back in the early 80s between an Admin spokesperson and the press where they are quite literally laughing about AIDS.

I was 7 when Ryan White died so my understanding of the world around me was quite limited.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all that....but as a person who came of age in the late 90s/early 00s whose best friend in HS was gay.....I literally can't fathom a reaction like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAzDn7tE1lU

Last edited by GVoR; 03-14-2020 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-14-2020, 10:26 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I was living in SF at the time, starting in 1983 through the 90s. SF was one of the epicenters though I was into my career and didn't hang out in the gay community, since I'm not gay, so there were some things I only learned in hindsight, but I did have some gay buds at work (one who started the first HIV/AIDs library where he was cataloging all the articles from print media at the time). People tend to think of Reagan as some great leader, but he was a buffoon and was an utter failure with what turned into the biggest health crisis of the 20th century (many millions died).

That video you posted can't be denied. There are some very good documentaries from that era as well, most available online.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:46 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Welp, Harris Teeter almost caused mass hysteria and riots today. Luckily they deleted the vague post and clarified that they meant 9pm each day. .
Someone with an actual degree in communications likely composed that tweet. SMH.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
There was a a short "documentary" a few years ago that played audio from Press Briefings back in the early 80s between an Admin spokesperson and the press where they are quite literally laughing about AIDS.

I was 7 when Ryan White died so my understanding of the world around me was quite limited.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all that....but as a person who came of age in the late 90s/early 00s whose best friend in HS was gay.....I literally can't fathom a reaction like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAzDn7tE1lU
I graduated from HS in 1985 and there was not one "out" gay person in my HS. We knew who was gay (for the most part) but no one was out. The biggest serial dater in the class ahead of me came out as gay years later and got married and had kids. ( I went to college with him too - same thing, girls all loved him).This was in a fairly liberal, very large and diverse town an hour outside NYC. The world has done a 180 since then. Hard to fathom what it was like then.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I graduated from HS in 1985 and there was not one "out" gay person in my HS. We knew who was gay (for the most part) but no one was out. The biggest serial dater in the class ahead of me came out as gay years later and got married and had kids. ( I went to college with him too - same thing, girls all loved him).This was in a fairly liberal, very large and diverse town an hour outside NYC. The world has done a 180 since then. Hard to fathom what it was like then.

Yes it has.

I lived in an expat community that numbered somewhere between 20-50K for eight years. My freshman year of HS there were 2400 students in the HS. My Sophomore year, there were 900 (resulting from the overthrowing of the Military Junta who had ruled the country since 1968). There were quite a few (relatively speaking) people who were out.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:14 PM

569 posts, read 341,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I remember that time March Madness had to shut down because of the Y2K bug. Boy Michigan State was mad.
Interesting.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:36 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
Interesting.
but not true.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:46 PM

France just locked down everything but pharmacys and food stores. Spain about to follow suit.

For those tracking the "days behind Italy", Italy is 9-10 days ahead of France/Spain and Germany. 13-16 days ahead of US.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
France just locked down everything but pharmacys and food stores. Spain about to follow suit.

For those tracking the "days behind Italy", Italy is 9-10 days ahead of France/Spain and Germany. 13-16 days ahead of US.
So another week to stockpile TP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary