Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 06:34 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
CDC finds scant spread of coronavirus in schools with precautions in place

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...229_story.html
there's a few of them on Twitter clinging to the "but should have restrictions on indoor dining, bars, and dank gyms" as if we don't already have those restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
Everyone is not masked all of the time. Classroom teachers have to monitor lunch in the classrooms when every one takes off their masks to eat.

This new strain is supposedly much more contagious. So much so that they are encouraging in some places to double mask.

Honestly answer: would you want to be in a room of 25 kids in various stages of mask wearing for 7 hours a day? If you have a heart condition? Bad asthma? Or some condition that COVID could kill you or make you wish you were dead?
I wasn't aware that there was any attempt to force truly at-risk teachers back into the classroom.

I am assuming that all schools (past K-5) are doing the "cohorts", ie 1/3 of capacity. Are these somehow to be full classrooms?

Old 01-26-2021, 06:42 PM

by the way, what about the most salient parts of my post?

Quote:
How many Wake Co teachers have been diagnosed as having contracted the virus in a classroom setting? How many have been hospitalized?

Old 01-26-2021, 07:16 PM

116 posts, read 254,557 times
When I see Wake County reports it seems like they report maybe 2 teachers a week throughout the county test positive. And I have no idea of knowing if transmission happened at school. I do know of a teacher who flew out of state to see their favorite football team play so some could catch the virus anywhere.

I just saw Biden's COS tell CNN that schools need to be retrofitted with better ventilation systems before its safe to go back. Which is probably somewhat of a pro union money grab as its part of stimulus package. But imagine if that was the case with probably the same contractors having to do every school in a geographic area, kids would never get back to school. Aside from the fact that many catholic schools in the northeast have been open without issue and if you have seen them, catholic schools are among the oldest buildings you can find.

Its just become political football. And while I haven't really favored vouchers in the past if I was in the NC legislature I might be tempted to float voucher legislation to call the NCAE's bluff about not going back to school. I am all for strong public schools but if it too much for BOE's to send teachers back maybe it would be better to divert public money to private schools committed to teaching students in person.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:22 PM

805 posts, read 524,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I wasn't aware that there was any attempt to force truly at-risk teachers back into the classroom.

I am assuming that all schools (past K-5) are doing the "cohorts", ie 1/3 of capacity. Are these somehow to be full classrooms?
Wake County is/was doing cohorts past K-5.

But what about K-5?

When it comes to “at risk”, yes, some staff with risk factors are deemed essential and need to be in the building.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
Every teacher I know...would stick out their arm tomorrow if it meant he/she could be vaccinated. Their jobs right now SUCK - and they too want to go back to in classroom. I am sure there are few who refuse vaccination or are lazy as hell and like this chaos. If they do choose to not be vaccinated, it should be at their own risk. Once the staff are vaccinated, bring the kids back in.

Teachers are in the third group. They won't move them up any higher.
+1

I’d run to get vaccinated right now!

Old 01-26-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Wake County is/was doing cohorts past K-5.

But what about K-5?

When it comes to “at risk”, yes, some staff with risk factors are deemed essential and need to be in the building.
that was the question - once they got past elementary school, they were all cohorts, right? You seem to confirm this. I guess it's possible some middle schoolers went back, I know the HS'ers did not.

What kind of staff (student interaction) and what kind of risk factors? Asthma has been shown to be a real risk factor, and perhaps diabetes. Most everything else - if treated - by itself has not.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
+1

I’d run to get vaccinated right now!
ok. there are around 10K teachers in Wake County. Do you want first shot, or both, before you'll go back in the classroom?

Old 01-27-2021, 04:40 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
that was the question - once they got past elementary school, they were all cohorts, right? You seem to confirm this. I guess it's possible some middle schoolers went back, I know the HS'ers did not.

What kind of staff (student interaction) and what kind of risk factors? Asthma has been shown to be a real risk factor, and perhaps diabetes. Most everything else - if treated - by itself has not.
Actually the biggest co morbidity has been shown to be obesity. Asthmatics have done better than expected. They are not sure why but suspect it’s because they are often using inhaled corticosteroids.

As far as the teachers there is one I love as a teacher and person but he’s a vocal proponent of keeping schools closed “until”....but guess who has been back coaching football for two weeks?

And until there are NO cases of teacher transmission while we are COMPLETELY REMOTE - they must get back. Because if they are managing to catch it while they do not have to be at school then those teachers are not doing their part - correct??? Because just like the poster up there who knows a teacher who flew to another state, we do too. My sister had a co worker running a part time real estate business. The volleyball state championship was last weekend and the runner up coach was home “under the weather” and did the post game presser by Zoom call. Too sick to travel? Gee I WONDER WHAT SHE HAD.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:52 AM

Quote:
ok. there are around 10K teachers in Wake County. Do you want first shot, or both, before you'll go back in the classroom?
I’ve already been back in the classroom with students.

Ideally, I want at least the first shot before the kids come back to the classroom again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary