Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 10:31 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Yes, cohorts MS and beyond.

I’m asking—why do we just overlook that k-5 classrooms are not social distancing?

Risk factors—high blood pressure. Apparently, nearly half of adults have hypertension. Hypertension is a stated risk factor. Obesity. Again, very common in adults. Can’t all work from home.

Think of the admin staff of your typical high school. How many of the admin have risk factors? How many are over 50? 60? How many can stay home? (Hint—they can’t stay home. They are already working indoor basketball games. )
a quick google yielded this - https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...can-study.aspx

it's from Mexico, but they found

Quote:
The results of the study showed that chronic kidney disease had the highest relative risk for fatal
COVID-19. Kidney disease was followed by diabetes and immunosuppression, which had higher relative risk than obesity or hypertension as the only comorbidity. The combination of diabetes and hypertension with or without obesity had a relative risk as high as chronic kidney disease as the only comorbidity (more than 3 in under 60-year-olds).
If HBP/hypertension and obesity are the most common conditions in the population, it stands to reason they'd be found most often as listed co-morbidities. What is obesity linked to - Type 2 diabetes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 10:36 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
a quick google yielded this - https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...can-study.aspx

it's from Mexico, but they found

If HBP/hypertension and obesity are the most common conditions in the population, it stands to reason they'd be found most often as listed co-morbidities. What is obesity linked to - Type 2 diabetes.
Blood pressure is not even listed by the CDC as a definite. Not sure if it was at one point, but it's not anymore. It's now listed as a "maybe":

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...art-conditions

Old 01-27-2021, 10:40 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
I know no teacher in WCPSS said that because teacher contracts are for 215 days.

No teacher made a choice to be in an enclosed space with dozens of others without appropriate protocols in place during a pandemic involving an easily-transmissable airborne illness.

Get the spaces in line with CDC protocols or get the staff members vaccinated. The other option that would have worked much more quickly would have been for the community to make the sacrifices necessary to stop the spread, but that ship sailed long ago.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Respectfully, the problem with this argument is that, tragically, workers are dying.
how many workers that don't have multiple serious co-morbidities?

in NC, 0.35% of 25-64 (the workforce) cases have resulted in death. Those 1,496 deaths are tragic, but not necessarily all unavoidable.

in Wake County, not a single child < 18 has died (8,200 cases). 53 of workforce age have died. That's 0.14% - basically 1/3 of the state rate.

So is it the vaccine, at 95% effectiveness, or zero deaths we are after?

What happens when a vaccinated person falls into that 5% and eventually dies? Because just like reinfection has technically happened, and a death after reinfection has happened, death after vaccination WILL happen.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:50 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I know no teacher in WCPSS said that because teacher contracts are for 215 days.

No teacher made a choice to be in an enclosed space with dozens of others without appropriate protocols in place during a pandemic involving an easily-transmissable airborne illness.

Get the spaces in line with CDC protocols or get the staff members vaccinated. The other option that would have worked much more quickly would have been to get the community to bring stop the spread, but that ship sailed long ago.
None of us made a choice for any of this. Teachers are no different than the rest of us who have had to adapt and assume some risk of which there are many in life.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:51 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:

Get the spaces in line with CDC protocols or get the staff members vaccinated. The other option that would have worked much more quickly would have been for the community to make the sacrifices necessary to stop the spread, but that ship sailed long ago.

Neither did anyone else in their respective jobs until the protocols were made by their employers/workplaces. WCPSS can easily do the protocols. Step up to your job.

It's unfortunate when you think this is a good idea to keep kids at home with the amount of social issues affecting them, failures and kids that are just plain "missing." And my previous sentence doesn't even address kids with intellectual disability or more advanced IEPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
We’re in CHCCSs, but this kind of hypocrisy seems rampant in the area. I’ve lost count of all the teachers that I’ve overheard in my kids classes mentioning going on a trip often requiring air travel and/or visiting family out of state. One who seems to make quite a hobby of travel even went to a wedding across the country last fall, and another got COVID shorty after a trip. A family friend who happens to be a teacher in the district has also mentioned some less than cautious behavior like meeting up with friends at restaurants. Yet when it comes to going back to work like so many other people have had to do, all I keep hearing is how the vast majority of teachers won’t because they don’t feel safe.

Now Wake is back full remote for the time being. Durham Co never opened and has already decided to remain closed for the rest of the school year. Orange Co never opened and is staying remote until at least the end of the third quarter, so the end of March. CHCCS never reopened except for special education students in self- contained classes, and they’ve tentatively proposed a plan that will keep HSers remote the rest of the school year but leaves open the possibility of bringing back elementary and middle in March. They claim they’ll make a final decision at the next board meeting in mid February, but based on the last meeting, it looks unlikely students will go back other than maybe possibly the youngest.

I don’t understand what’s happening in the Triangle with the refusal to reopen schools despite all the evidence that says they should and can reopen safely. It’s beyond absurd and to say we’re doing the kids a disservice is the understatement of the century.
Sounds like the Legislature might need to threaten to withhold money.

Because I've already seen the cheering of "Look, see Durham County is doing it right!"

Last edited by BoBromhal; 01-27-2021 at 11:26 AM..

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
It's unfortunate when you think this is a good idea to keep kids at home with the amount of social issues affecting them, failures and kids that are just plain "missing." And my previous sentence doesn't even address kids with intellectual disability or more advanced IEPs.
I don't think it's a good idea. I think it's a terrible idea. Kids need to be in school.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:56 AM

222 posts, read 218,551 times
Humans (at least NC ones) are loathe to follow the rules. If you have the (many times) distasteful experience of working with the public this last year, you'd know that. You can put safeguards in place, and many people ignore them.

"Hi, welcome to X" - you can only stay 15 minutes for your safety and ours" - Customer stays 45 minutes and bristles when asked to move on so someone else can enter the establishment.

"You must be masked" - as they take masks down as they disappear around the corner.

"Please make a selection" - as their child full on licks an object and mom puts it back on the shelf.

"Please socially distance from others" - people walk full up to you and pull down their mask to speak to you so you can hear them better. Social distance is a joke.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I saw that, and noticed they're generally unable to stick on topic, which is Covid, and instead must (always) include "more $ in general".

"I want schools open, restaurants open, social distancing, and new Park bonds"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary