Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2020, 11:28 AM

18,050 posts, read 15,645,534 times

Advertisements

No one can know exactly when those 4 people actually got infected. People can be asymptomatic for a week or longer, not even showing a temperature. The regular flu comes on quickly, usually within 2 or 3 days of exposure to the flu virus. Covid in general takes longer to appear, though of course nothing is 100% and there have been some cases where symptoms didn't take a whole week to start.

All the stats in the world aren't going to align because it's complicated. And it also doesn't tell an individual their personal risk in getting covid. One has to assume there is a risk and take appropriate measures to protect oneself, and that means being socially distant to the extent possible.

It turns out a lot of people really, really want to be all up in each other's space, en masse. In a culture of 'leave me alone,' 'don't crowd me,' 'give me my space,' so many want to be closer than 6ft. And I'm not talking romance situations, but just the number of parties occurring. The need is so great the folks congregating closely handwave away getting sick or even denying there is such a thing as Covid or that it can be dangerous.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:38 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,056,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer & Manatee View Post
When people say they don't trust the media, this is a classic example of why. Do they intentionally misrepresent or are they just in such a rush to publish something that they don't take the time to get it right? I don't know, but this is not an isolated event. This happens many times a day and from many, if not all, media outlets. They need to slow down, get the facts right and then publish. They also need to assess why they choose to publish what they do and why they choose to not publish certain things. Just publish the facts and let the viewer decide for themselves. No need to push an agenda one way or the other. Contrary to what some people have posted, Americans are capable of making smart decisions, but only if they are not constantly being fed misinformation or out of context information. Just be fair, honest, balanced and down the middle.

For better or worse, as a wise man once said, If you ain't first, you're last.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:40 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I agree, they need a better editor. But, does it really matter if they tested positive AT the convention or AFTER? If it was AT the convention that means they probably flew on an airplane with the virus. Doesn't make me feel any better. This is one reason we need to have contact tracing.
No it doesn't matter in any shape or form. It's not newsworthy.

When was the last time you heard of someone getting covid on a plane?

Old 08-28-2020, 11:46 AM

376 posts, read 102,909 times
Quote:
I agree, they need a better editor. But, does it really matter if they tested positive AT the convention or AFTER? If it was AT the convention that means they probably flew on an airplane with the virus. Doesn't make me feel any better. This is one reason we need to have contact tracing.
It does matter. Being tested and identified prior to going into the convention shows protocols are working and people are safe, which can make people more comfortable to get out and about again. If it happened after the convention, it could show the opposite. Right now many decisions are being made from a point of feelings and fear. When things are not reported accurately or without full context, it can negatively affect people's decision making.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:54 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer & Manatee View Post
It does matter. Being tested and identified prior to going into the convention shows protocols are working and people are safe, which can make people more comfortable to get out and about again. If it happened after the convention, it could show the opposite. Right now many decisions are being made from a point of feelings and fear. When things are not reported accurately or without full context, it can negatively affect people's decision making.
Apparently, every delegate was tested before coming to the convention. That means between tests they became positive.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:57 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
No it doesn't matter in any shape or form. It's not newsworthy.

When was the last time you heard of someone getting covid on a plane?
I beg to differ, I feel it is newsworthy. These are people coming into an area for a convention. Remember Biogen? This is how this type of stuff gets transmitted quickly.
How would we ever know if someone caught it from a plane? People do not have to be tested to get on a plane and there is no contact tracing happening after.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:09 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
I beg to differ, I feel it is newsworthy. These are people coming into an area for a convention. Remember Biogen? This is how this type of stuff gets transmitted quickly.
How would we ever know if someone caught it from a plane? People do not have to be tested to get on a plane and there is no contact tracing happening after.
If there is a large outbreak related to single day convention in Charlotte, yes that would be newsworthy.

Four people testing positive "at the door", two of which is sounds like are probably from the Charlotte area to begin with (support staff), is not newsworthy. These were obviously rapid tests, who knows if they were even accurate. I'm guessing nobody had symptoms of course.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...vid-19-testing

Old 08-28-2020, 12:22 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
If you have a choice of where to be around people with the virus, an airplane is probably one of the best places next to being outdoors. The airflow comes out of louvers at the top of the cabin, all the way down the rows, and is sucked out by your feet to the cargo compartments and then vented overboard. The entire cabin is refreshed every 3-5 minutes. In the mean time, air passes through HEPA filters and is superheated (like several hundred degrees F) and then cooled, and the moisture is removed, before it gets to you.

That's a pretty standard config for any airplane except maybe the smallest regional jets - Airbus/Boeing/narrowbody/widebody. They are all designed the same.

But, it's certainly a quick way to transport the seeders, that's for sure. With this, there was no way to selectively target shutdowns because even though the US shut down flights from China in January, it wasn't yet known that they had been keeping it a secret from the world while allowing flights from Wuhan to seed Italy/Europe, which then attacked the US from the east coast. It seems the shutdown from China was at least partially effective, as the cases in Seattle where it first was found never really got out of hand like they did in NY.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:29 PM

1,462 posts, read 658,580 times
Getting back to my post for just a second. Of course Americans are capable of making decisions. Let me clarify, Americans have the luxury to be soft on critical thinking and engage in a culture of dismissing intellectuals/expertise etc because they CAN. Americans have been very lucky (up to this time) to have some of the best and brightest people lead them. That is why 9/11 was so life altering and stunning to us. Geographically we had assumed we would be in a safer position than other people in the world from terrorism.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:31 PM

1,462 posts, read 658,580 times
Yeah, I know. Way off target and too political. Guilty as charged. Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary