Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 07:26 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Comment by a feller on NextDoor:

I saw a story about this on WRAL's website last night and emailed the council. Kudos to Mayor Pro Tem Don Frantz, who responded this morning.

He shares our trepidation about the greenway and will be expressing that concern (along with others he has) at tonight's meeting.
He noted that this meeting will be the public hearing portion of the process, so no actual decision can be made yet.

This gives time for Epic to modify their plans to address concerns. So let's make sure that Epic keeps hearing that we don't want them altering the existing greenway plan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 09:07 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Yep, there is still lots of time. After the public hearing, it goes to the Planning and Zoning board for a recommendation before coming back to council. So it will be months before this could be approved and developers routinely make changes based on feedback received along the way.

But this first proposal is so out of touch with what that area needs that I’m not optimistic about things coming around far enough.

I’m also concerned about too much focus on the greenway. Yes, it’s egregious, but if Epic puts it back and says “there, we compromised,” we’re still so far from an acceptable proposal.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Yep, there is still lots of time. After the public hearing, it goes to the Planning and Zoning board for a recommendation before coming back to council. So it will be months before this could be approved and developers routinely make changes based on feedback received along the way.

But this first proposal is so out of touch with what that area needs that I’m not optimistic about things coming around far enough.

I’m also concerned about too much focus on the greenway. Yes, it’s egregious, but if Epic puts it back and says “there, we compromised,” we’re still so far from an acceptable proposal.

Agreed. There is more at stake.
Here is my email to virtualtownhall.townofcary.org

"Please send Epic Games back to the drawing board.

This prime property and the Town residents deserve better, particularly considering the location and the value of the concept of an “Eastern Gateway.”
This rezoning request to create a huge private enclave does not resemble the work of a good corporate citizen or an effort to embrace the concept of community.

1. Let’s have the greenway completed as long planned, as a nice path on the east side of the property.
There is no value to the planned elimination and long detour along a sidewalk.

2. Retain connectivity to Triangle Aquatic Center, directly from Walnut Street.

3. Provide direct public connectivity across the parcel to Convention Drive for access to and from TAC, Baptist Convention Offices, and the retirement community.

4. Significant Public open space at least at the NE corner of the parcel, connected to the Greenway.

Of course, Epic Games has a reasonable need to secure their campus. They also need to realize that that campus will be in the heart of a vibrant community, and should propose a more agreeable concept for rezoning.
Unfortunately, the submitted rezoning request in no way reflects an attempt at a “highest and best use” of prime property in a prime location or recognition of community investment.
Clearly, Turnbridge Equities proposal was magnificent in comparison.

I am in agreement with the assessment presented on this website:
https://caryepicgreenway.org/#82faa7...3-2950f5b26e6e "

Old 12-16-2021, 09:42 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Plus, the whole idea of what they are proposing goes against everything in the Eastern Gateway community plan. https://www.townofcary.org/projects-...n-cary-gateway

Even with their promises of retail to come later (which I'm not hopeful for) this is not commercial based mixed use. Should be more focus on generally upending these plans with this proposal.

I have heard that council people have not been happy with the way that things have gone on since this plan was created, so hopefully they will make a stand and at least hold them to a mix more similar to what was approved.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:53 AM

I know it's a minor detail in the grand scheme of badness here, but it boggles my mind that they're being so lazy/cheap as to propose keeping the ring road that makes no sense without a mall in the middle. I feel like I should be surprised they didn't simply suggest reusing the existing mall building.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:22 AM

You know what else annoys me? The Town of Cary bought the gas station at the corner of Maynard and Walnut back in May for a whopping $3.75 million for the 1-acre property. They'd been trying to acquire that to facilitate putting the indoor rec center there and improving the intersection and integrating with Carolina Yards. Now it's all out the window and Cary is left holding a sliver of mostly useless property. At least it can still be partially used for intersection improvements.

Of course, Epic isn't proposing to pay for improvements at the intersection other than dedicating right of way along Maynard for widening so there can be a second left turn lane on southbound Maynard. The staff report says intersection improvements are tricky because they will require "considerable collaboration" with the property owner at the corner...which is the town.

Every time I look at this I find something else terrible.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:43 PM

Council is treading the line between criticism and expressing appreciation for Epic, but it’s clear there’s a lot they don’t like. Jack Smith was the most vocal as far as criticism.

“This is like Attica prison with a little bit of flowers around it.” And this gem….”Somebody has to tell the emperor he has no clothes on, and you’re naked.”

Still concerned there’s too much focus on specific details like the greenway and ridiculously low number of proposed trees and not enough on the terrible overall vision, but there’s a long way to go.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Council is treading the line between criticism and expressing appreciation for Epic, but it’s clear there’s a lot they don’t like. Jack Smith was the most vocal as far as criticism.

“This is like Attica prison with a little bit of flowers around it.” And this gem….”Somebody has to tell the emperor he has no clothes on, and you’re naked.”

Still concerned there’s too much focus on specific details like the greenway and ridiculously low number of proposed trees and not enough on the terrible overall vision, but there’s a long way to go.

I was not at the meeting. Is there a good link to the proceedings?

Jack Smith emailed me late last night:
Mike,

This development is in my district and I agree with your feedback and told Epic Games so in exactly no uncertain terms at tonight’s Public hearing. There are many steps in this process, which may take several months,
and it is my hope before this comes back for final council approval, all concerns will be addressed.

Jack Smith
Cary District C Council Member, 1989 - present
Cary Council Liaison EAB. (Environmental Advisory Board)

Old 12-17-2021, 07:04 AM

Replay of the meeting is on YouTube. Epic bit starts at exactly the 1 hour mark and lasts about 75 minutes.

https://youtu.be/HUEAln8Kk7w

Old 12-17-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Replay of the meeting is on YouTube. Epic bit starts at exactly the 1 hour mark and lasts about 75 minutes.

https://youtu.be/HUEAln8Kk7w

Great. Thanks.

Now subscribed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary