Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2021, 02:06 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times

Advertisements

Epic will be bringing its first phase rezoning to council soon, and it also sounds like the town indoor recreation facility originally planned for the CTC property may instead end up as part of the South Hills redevelopment.

Quote:
South Hills mall has been sold. Representatives will bring forward plans soon. It will likely be mixed-use and could house the multiplex sports venue. [...]

Epic Games will bring a rezoning proposal for the partial redevelopment of the mall site to the next council meeting.
https://carycitizen.news/2021/11/22/...lanterns-more/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 10:37 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
TBJ is reporting that South Hills' new owner is Loden Properties (fun fact: founder is Seby Jones' grandson), with Northpond from Chicago.
https://www.lodenproperties.com/properties
Seems like a big leap from the Longleaf Hotel renovation to this.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:30 PM

Epic has filed with the town to demolish the main Cary Towne Center building with the exception of the Belk...$615,000 project.

Not sure why Belk isn't included, as I doubt it's going to be sticking around for reuse. Maybe some complications with Belk owning the building, but figured those would have been worked out already so the demo could all be done at once. Application says a temporary wall will be built on the Belk building to cover the opening exposed by the mall demo.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.idtpl...pplication.pdf

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.idtpl...n-11302021.pdf

Old 12-07-2021, 12:28 PM

Epic seems to be downsizing its plans a bit, but still significant...latest public notice says 2.7 million square feet office plus 75,000 square feet of commercial and 200-room hotel. They initially said 3.5 million office along with the commercial and hotel. Public hearing next week in front of the town council.

https://carync.app.box.com/s/0uigd00...i1vg2ltuw62j1v

Old 12-07-2021, 03:00 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Not sure why Belk isn't included, as I doubt it's going to be sticking around for reuse. Maybe some complications with Belk owning the building
Maybe they want a field office? Belk hasn't owned the building in several years.

As for the new plans, it's a bit odd to file a new set of plans with just less square footage. Nothing obligates them to build out 3.5M sq ft of office buildings, since you can always underbuild the zoning.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:46 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
Disappointing? Large parcels being consumed? The free market determines the highest & best use of land. This is not (yet thankfully) a state-planning controlled nation. Albeit, zoning laws still dictate land use policies, with public input. All-in-all, the next turn of attention needs to focus on attracting private investments to re-invent the Crossroads area for the 21st Century. Many storefronts are empty, with more vacancies probably coming as we all shop from home. And the office park will suffer with Epic leaving and more permanent work-from-homers. And how about that huge, empty former car dealership?...and movie theater...? I wonder if we'll ever get innovative policies, rules and markets to incentivize the ripping-out of pavement and rooftops, for re-establishment of forest to offset stormwater and CO2 impacts.
I sure hope so! With need for space shifting , and at least from what I can tell need for space is decreasing as work and commercial environments change . It wouldn’t be so bad . Though I still think it’s a shame all that land will be a corporate office , especially since people work from home a lot . Do they really need that space ? It’s also kind of surprising given Tim Sweeney , and his CFO, both are heavily involved in land conservation. Tom Sweeney has bought up over 50,000 acres last 10 years . 16,000 of those acres are in Chatham county .

Cary would have been better served with the mixed use plan that had parks , shops, and apartments .

Old 12-07-2021, 03:55 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I sure hope so! With need for space shifting , and at least from what I can tell need for space is decreasing as work and commercial environments change . It wouldn’t be so bad . Though I still think it’s a shame all that land will be a corporate office , especially since people work from home a lot . Do they really need that space ? It’s also kind of surprising given Tim Sweeney , and his CFO, both are heavily involved in land conservation. Tom Sweeney has bought up over 50,000 acres last 10 years . 16,000 of those acres are in Chatham county .

Cary would have been better served with the mixed use plan that had parks , shops, and apartments .
Complete agreement here.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Maybe they want a field office? Belk hasn't owned the building in several years.

As for the new plans, it's a bit odd to file a new set of plans with just less square footage. Nothing obligates them to build out 3.5M sq ft of office buildings, since you can always underbuild the zoning.
According to county records, Belk still owns the building.

http://services.wakegov.com/realesta...3163696&page=1

Epic may have amended its plans following the summer neighborhood meeting and consultation with staff, adjusting things to increase the likelihood of approval from the town council. I haven't seen a PDP and don't know anything about how those meetings went, so that's just an example of why you might revise downward.

Last edited by SFspiderman; 12-07-2021 at 09:06 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 03:46 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
We'll see if Epic goes through with it. That area (Eastern gateway) seems to be "cursed"; look at Ikea, Wegmans, and the Brickyard (mixed use) all pulling out. Would not be surprised if the property gets flipped, yet again, by Sweeney to a developer and senior living ends up ultimately going in there. I'm calling it now, senior living -and maybe some bank branches and a couple mattress stores.

Unless, Sweeney (Epic) wants to keep and develop and get-in-on some senior living; after all, judging from all the development of such in the general area (Cary-Raleigh), that seems to be where the money is. It would be a great fit for Epic...software and senior living....yup, that's where the money is.

Demographics don't lie... the "gray tsunami" is coming to America and it makes good business sense to serve that growing need.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:40 PM

WRAL article on the demo filing. Mentions that Dave and Buster’s is planning to close in the mall on January 2 and reopen in the Jumpstreet space around January 17.

https://wr.al/1M1DW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary