Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2021, 10:45 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,092,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot001 View Post
Thank you for sharing this wonderful and informative article. I particularly found this part interesting.

“On the other hand, our biggest challenge with early stage ventures in N.C. besides available funding is available/affordable talent. As Epic, Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) and others continue to expand here, they continue to drive up the price of that talent and reduce the supply.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 10:46 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Thank you for sharing this wonderful and informative article. I particularly found this part interesting.

“On the other hand, our biggest challenge with early stage ventures in N.C. besides available funding is available/affordable talent. As Epic, Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) and others continue to expand here, they continue to drive up the price of that talent and reduce the supply.

Big time. My employer is going through it now.

Turning away client work (demand for which has gone through the roof) because competitors are backing up the Brinks truck for talent. (I'm actually in discussions right now with a competitor who if they back it up for me, I'll be another loss for my current employer)

Old 04-14-2021, 01:42 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,716,882 times
Supply and demand for talent is a funny thing. Supply is not static. Think of how many engineers landed in Silicon Valley/Bay Area (Apple, Google, etc) or Seattle (Microsoft) in the last 35 years. If the Triangle earns and retains that kind of buzz, supply will arrive to match demand. Housing prices aren't really an issue. I remember when a 1400-sq ft bungalow in Menlo Park first sold for a million dollars (yes, I'm that old). The area continued growing regardless. What does matter: lifestyle, the social and political climate, expansion in the job market, transportation and housing, and the opportunity to get rich.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Supply and demand for talent is a funny thing. Supply is not static. Think of how many engineers landed in Silicon Valley/Bay Area (Apple, Google, etc) or Seattle (Microsoft) in the last 35 years. If the Triangle earns and retains that kind of buzz, supply will arrive to match demand. Housing prices aren't really an issue. I remember when a 1400-sq ft bungalow in Menlo Park first sold for a million dollars (yes, I'm that old). The area continued growing regardless. What does matter: lifestyle, the social and political climate, expansion in the job market, transportation and housing, and the opportunity to get rich.
I'm not in IT but would welcome Cary becoming the Silicon Valley of the South East. Is that realistic, though, given that Cary doesn't really have citywide fiber optic availability like say Chattanooga, TN does?

Old 04-15-2021, 11:51 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I'm not in IT but would welcome Cary becoming the Silicon Valley of the South East. Is that realistic, though, given that Cary doesn't really have citywide fiber optic availability like say Chattanooga, TN does?
I mean, most places don't have a citywide fiber network. Companies can easily get whatever service they need.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:35 PM

385 posts, read 348,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I mean, most places don't have a citywide fiber network. Companies can easily get whatever service they need.
I thought Cary did have city wide Google fiber?

Old 04-15-2021, 12:43 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
Google Fiber is only available in a small fraction of Cary, mostly West Cary and a bit around the northern arc of Maynard. Think that's about as far as they've gotten.

But fiber in general is becoming pretty widely accessible, and I don't think we're particularly behind most of other areas. Actually think we're one of the leaders, although we don't have organized municpal fiber networks, thanks partly to the state legislature.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:47 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Google Fiber is only available in a small fraction of Cary, mostly West Cary and a bit around the northern arc of Maynard. Think that's about as far as they've gotten.
We’ve got it downtown now

Old 04-15-2021, 12:54 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post

But fiber in general is becoming pretty widely accessible, and I don't think we're particularly behind most of other areas. Actually think we're one of the leaders, although we don't have organized municpal fiber networks, thanks partly to the state legislature.

We just got our Ting service turned on on Monday. When the guy was here running the line from our smart closet to the crawlspace door a couple weeks I asked him what the issue was (regarding fiber availability in the Western Suburbs but not out here in the Eastern Suburbs) as I had been told the Mayor of WF turned Google away years back.

He explained some law here that kept ISPs from running fiber over the rivers (Neuse I presume is the one in question)...I was left speechless.

This isn't a new concept. We solved the "don't damage the environment" aspects of that (at least in other parts of the country) decades ago. Anyone from CT, RI and MA has seen utility lines running over the mouth the of the CT River at Old Saybrook and around the Fort Point Channel in Boston and Foreriver in Quincy for the T/Electric Buses. And it isn't like a fiber line is as unsightly as power lines are.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:27 PM

An excellent and related article to the fiber discussion.

The best broadband in the US isn’t in New York or San Francisco. It’s in Chattanooga

Quote:
The best broadband in the US isn’t in New York or San Francisco. It’s in Chattanooga, Tennessee. And it’s owned by the city’s government—which makes it a shining case study for president Joe Biden’s push to have more municipal authorities build and run internet infrastructure.
So I'm a fan of Epic's Unreal Engine 4 and I'm really looking forward to Unreal Engine 5. It's part of the reason I want a PlayStation 5 so badly after having seen the engine's tech demo running on PS5 hardware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary