Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 11:51 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I wonder if they're considering the possibility of an adjacent 'gaming destination' of some sort. The kind of facility that can hold gaming conventions, product debuts, etc.
The town's indoor recreation facility envisioned to go on the same parcel of land is supposed to include a dedicated esports practice/meeting space, and the 4,000-seat arena was also intended to host esports events. I'd always thought it was something Epic should have partnered with the town on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 11:57 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Don't worry the horrendously sprawled Raleigh/Durham metro is only expected to get more sprawled as the metro pushes into Chatham and JoCo.
"Horrendous" by whose definition? Yours, perhaps, but not mine. And apparently not by the definition of the hundreds of thousands of people who continue moving here. 15% of Wake County lives ITB Raleigh, and an even smaller portion lives in "downtown" depending on how one defines it. Such a short tail ain't gonna wag the dog. If people want to live the downtown lifestyle, I'm all for that. But there's no point in denigrating the lifestyle that others want to live, or pretending that the downtown-centric view is held by the majority or is morally superior in some way.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:02 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The town's indoor recreation facility envisioned to go on the same parcel of land is supposed to include a dedicated esports practice/meeting space, and the 4,000-seat arena was also intended to host esports events. I'd always thought it was something Epic should have partnered with the town on.
Ah. I didn't know that. Seems like the kind of thing that they would want to be close to. Perhaps that played a part in their decision.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Ah. I didn't know that. Seems like the kind of thing that they would want to be close to. Perhaps that played a part in their decision.
Hard to say. The town was in negotiations to acquire the property for the rec center, but it's now all up in the air. Who knows if Epic wants to sell it to them.

I know the town has tried to keep alternative sites in mind in case the CTC plan fell through, but I don't know what those sites are. Sounds like the town is trying to keep the rec center schedule on track even though the $35 million from Wake County is going to be slow in coming thanks to the cratered tourism revenue.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:24 PM

171 posts, read 142,816 times
Quote:
Epic has the money to build it, own it and lease it back to the Town. They had 28 acres over at the Crossroads site, which might not have been enough room for them to include a world class e-sports arena. If that's something they were looking for then the CTC site would fit the bill.

They may also be looking at room for onsite fitness, dining, healthcare, spa and any of the other bells and whistles that other corporate campuses have.

And they get to be next door neighbors with a retirement community, the baptist association and the aquatic center!

Last edited by OberlinSouth; 01-04-2021 at 12:36 PM..

Old 01-04-2021, 01:52 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Kinda disappointing that it’s apparently just going to be a corporate campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is extremely disappointing.

Really all that needs to be said.

Oh, Town of Cary, what are we gonna do with you? You just can't help but to pile on the Vanilla. lol

RIP Dave & Busters.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:02 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

RIP Dave & Busters.

I hear Dave & Busters is gonna stay just shift to another location on site.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I hear Dave & Busters is gonna stay.
That was the original plan, but who knows now. Can't imagine Epic is going to want that smack dab in the middle of their campus.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:05 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
yeah you caught me mid edit, supposedly changing locations on that site. I am glad to see Epic scoop it up and hope they do something cool with it. I can't imagine the CTC mall building itself will survive. Maybe the 98 mil includes clearing the site?

Old 01-04-2021, 02:13 PM

I doubt Belk and Dave & Buster's have any idea at this point.

The deal was kept extremely hush-hush and it seems like even Epic isn't sure what it wants to do at a detailed level yet. But with upgrades ready to roll out on the redevelopment, they had to move quickly to snap it up.

Holding out hope that Epic will divest some of the property to open it up for other development, but we'll just have to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary