Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2021, 06:27 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Odd definition of keeping things private...

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...stors/c-657825

Yup.
Interesting arrangement as it stands, the whole minority partner thingie.

I just tweeted him regarding the incredible ( ) opportunity for an arena on the CTC site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 08:15 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
N&O with a piece on the deal and whether the sports complex can still happen there. Short answer: Nobody knows.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...248264470.html

Old 01-05-2021, 08:59 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Exactly. That, combined with the proximity and ease of access to I-40, along with the location in relation to the airport (a benefit for any corporation's HQ) makes it an excellent spot for them.

I wonder if they're considering the possibility of an adjacent 'gaming destination' of some sort. The kind of facility that can hold gaming conventions, product debuts, etc. It's also possible (depending on how much they're planning on growing their workforce) that they could be looking to create not just office space, but a whole Googleplex-type environment with on-site amenities (multiple varied cafes, physicians, child care, laundry, recreation, green space, etc.)
That would be incredible! Gaming is the future. Tons of industries could get behind it. Imagine having flight simulator type of training for all industries? You could literally put on your Occulus and do surgery training in virtual reality. Imagine having all your real estate tours in virtual reality? Like put on your Occulus and "walk the property" Architecture? Nursing? Heavy machinery operating? And, that's just the "useful" stuff you could do with gaming. Just simple gaming is a multi-billion dollar industry. If I were NC, I'd be using Epic as an example and start giving gaming, 3D and virtual reality companies some incentives to come here. It wouldn't hurt NC State or smaller schools like Durham Tech to specialize in animation, 3D, VR/AR creation either.

I am a dreamer. Haha.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:08 AM

242 posts, read 150,168 times
Quote:
N&O with a piece on the deal and whether the sports complex can still happen there. Short answer: Nobody knows.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...248264470.html

Quote:
“We are working closely with the Town of Cary in their efforts to build the Cary Community Recreation and Sports Center and hope to have more to share on this soon,†Epic Games spokeswoman Elka Looks said in an email to The News & Observer.
Yay! Hope this still happens. The Sports Center was supposed to have an E-sports area... would be great synergy for Epic and ToC here.

Quote:
Weinbrecht said that Epic Games’ expansion is a huge win for the town. He added that it could have as much of an impact on the Triangle as SAS.
I thought the mayor was down on this? Sounds like he is positive.

I think this site could be a great opportunity if Epic spares no expense and really does work with ToC.

I was a little concerned about the repeated efforts of Fenton and CY, especially given the current market conditions.

Sure there is opportunity for both Epic and ToC to ********** up, but it could have a huge upside. At either rate it should be better than an indoor walking space and vacant stores.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2land View Post
I thought the mayor was down on this? Sounds like he is positive.
I think he's positive on Epic staying/expanding in Cary (yay tax base!), but disappointed in this specific plan to displace Carolina Yards. Seems like even he and the town were a bit blindsided by it.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:55 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
I think he's positive on Epic staying/expanding in Cary (yay tax base!), but disappointed in this specific plan to displace Carolina Yards. Seems like even he and the town were a bit blindsided by it.
I actually pondered the possibility of a flip a couple of times.
Turnbridge got it cheap, and "you make your money when you buy" flips.

8 figures in hand is worth 9 figures in the bush?

Old 01-05-2021, 09:56 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,309 times
Is there still any chance that Epic will build Carolina Yards as-planned, and occupy the office component of it themselves?

They could partner with TOC on the athletic facility to include a substantial e-sports component, and cut a deal that Epic employees get free access to all parts of the facility (fitness, recreation, sports)

Old 01-05-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Is there still any chance that Epic will build Carolina Yards as-planned, and occupy the office component of it themselves?

They could partner with TOC on the athletic facility to include a substantial e-sports component, and cut a deal that Epic employees get free access to all parts of the facility (fitness, recreation, sports)
I don't see any way that Epic is interested in building residential and retail, but as has been discussed, they mention the ability to move quickly based on existing entitlements, so it's unclear what their plan is. If they wanted just the office component of Carolina Yards, I would think they would have partnered with Turnbridge by either leasing or buying out just certain parcels, rather than buying the whole site for themselves.

As for the athletic facility, there will be some everyday fitness services, but the larger goal is for it to serve as an event destination...regional youth basketball/volleyball tournaments, etc. It doesn't seem like it would serve super well as a corporate fitness center. That said, I'm hopeful that at a minimum they're willing to sell off that piece of the property to the town. Even better would be a partnership to boost the facility's services that are relevant to Epic...large and small scale e-sports, potentially space for keynote presentations, etc.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:45 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
As someone that tries to avoid brick and mortar shopping (and especially big malls and giant upscale shopping centers like North Hills) and hates traffic, I am finding it rather hard to get disappointed by this whole thing.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:20 AM

WRAL with a little bit of a history piece on CTC...

https://www.wral.com/abandoned-found...nter/19458099/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary