Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2021, 02:58 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,882,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
The point is misplaced because this thread is about Epic. It could be appropriate if Epic ever considered downtown Raleigh at all, but they didn't - their original plan was to build a new HQ in Crossroads.

Even given the above, the point is off-base because it assumes the reason for this decision would have been because of what happened downtown last year - an assumption which is a bit of a leap. Most signs in the real estate market seem to point to Downtown Raleigh continuing to be hot once COVID is over. Some business owners or residents may see fit to leave but it's a small portion of the total and demand is high enough that it won't be much of a blip in the long run.

Some stores have closed or been slow to go back to normal after the protests, but that is more a product of COVID than the fear of continued unrest.
Well I guess you didn't bother to read through the entire thread enough to notice that I was responding to the following post, so it is not misplaced within that context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Would have been sweet if they had a high rise office in downtown Raleigh by the Convention Center and hosted online game competitions at the Convention Center next door. Trading one suburban corporate campus with a forest of asphalt surface parking for a newer one with a forest of asphalt surface parking is an 'eh' for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 03:11 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,882,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
This post is about Epic Games buying Cary Towne Center. I agree that your comments are misplaced and dumb.
Only in your mind.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:30 PM

405 posts, read 317,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post

Epic will certainly bring on a developer, but figured a more substantial arrangement would have been set up beforehand as a partnership to acquire the property if that's the direction they were looking to go.

But I'm no CRE expert, so don't listen to me...

Not necessarily. This depends on Epic’s vision for the site.

If they intend to use the entire property for their sole use, they would retain an architectural firm that would handle everything turnkey, including site planning, demolition, construction design and construction management, whether it’s one phase or multiple phases over time. The architectural firm would handle the selection of the general contractor(s). There would be no need to bring in an outside developer if this is the route that they take.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:50 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,729,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Only in your mind.
You're bringing random damn political quips into a thread about a gaming company buying a mall. It's misplaced, as several others have already mentioned.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:15 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post

If they intend to use the entire property for their sole use, they would retain an architectural firm that would handle everything turnkey, including site planning, demolition, construction design and construction management, whether it’s one phase or multiple phases over time. The architectural firm would handle the selection of the general contractor(s). There would be no need to bring in an outside developer if this is the route that they take.
My fault for using imprecise language...I just meant that they would definitely bring in someone from the outside to handle the design and buildout.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:30 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:

That isn’t how that works usually. And in fact they used a developer for the previous buildings they are in now.

Old 01-05-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That isn’t how that works usually. And in fact they used a developer for the previous buildings they are in now.
I have 40 years in the commercial construction industry and every midsize to large size corporation that I worked with, that purchased their own land directly (or purchased an existing building directly) for their own use, did exactly as I described. Most had internal Facilities Departments that interfaced directly with the architect; some were large departments and some were small.

The fact that Epic used a developer previously (when they were much smaller) makes no difference, and my guess is that Capital Associates played a broker role in this transaction only. If Epic decided to allocate part of the property to “non-core” uses such as a mixed use development, then yes, it would make sense to bring in a developer who has experience in those types of projects.

J Davis Architects is Epic’s current architect of record, and they handled the design and construction management for the Crossroads Boulevard headquarters expansion.

Per JDavis website:

Epic Games is expanding its Cary, North Carolina headquarters to include a new facility that will provide additional work and recreation space for employees. Epic’s newest addition to its campus will be located at the corner of Crossroads Boulevard and Jones Franklin Road, a property that Epic has owned since 2015. In collaboration with JDavis for architectural design and JLL for construction project management, Epic is working with the Town of Cary to ensure compliance with applicable ordinances and regulations.

“We are elated that Epic Games is expanding their Cary headquarters,” said Harold Weinbrecht, Mayor of the Town of Cary. “We know that Epic could locate anywhere in the world, and we’re grateful that they’ve chosen to continue to call Cary home.” “Our entire team looks forward to helping Epic shape the future of the workplace here in Cary,” said JDavis CEO and Partner Neil T. Gray. “We’re proud to help create a new space that’s reflective of the studio’s values and ambitions, as well as to deserving of their community and creative spirit.”

Last edited by NC Observer; 01-05-2021 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-05-2021, 07:50 PM

171 posts, read 143,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
My fault for using imprecise language...I just meant that they would definitely bring in someone from the outside to handle the design and buildout.
I guess they could always design it in-house using the Unreal Engine.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:26 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
I have 40 years in the commercial construction industry and every midsize to large size corporation that I worked with, that purchased their own land directly (or purchased an existing building directly) for their own use, did exactly as I described. Most had internal Facilities Departments that interfaced directly with the architect; some were large departments and some were small.

The fact that Epic used a developer previously (when they were much smaller) makes no difference, and my guess is that Capital Associates played a broker role in this transaction only. If Epic decided to allocate part of the property to “non-core” uses such as a mixed use development, then yes, it would make sense to bring in a developer who has experience in those types of projects.

J Davis Architects is Epic’s current architect of record, and they handled the design and construction management for the Crossroads Boulevard headquarters expansion.

Per JDavis website:

Epic Games is expanding its Cary, North Carolina headquarters to include a new facility that will provide additional work and recreation space for employees. Epic’s newest addition to its campus will be located at the corner of Crossroads Boulevard and Jones Franklin Road, a property that Epic has owned since 2015. In collaboration with JDavis for architectural design and JLL for construction project management, Epic is working with the Town of Cary to ensure compliance with applicable ordinances and regulations.

“We are elated that Epic Games is expanding their Cary headquarters,” said Harold Weinbrecht, Mayor of the Town of Cary. “We know that Epic could locate anywhere in the world, and we’re grateful that they’ve chosen to continue to call Cary home.” “Our entire team looks forward to helping Epic shape the future of the workplace here in Cary,” said JDavis CEO and Partner Neil T. Gray. “We’re proud to help create a new space that’s reflective of the studio’s values and ambitions, as well as to deserving of their community and creative spirit.”
I hadn’t seen that they hired JLL of late. So if that’s the case maybe they will go their own way. Having a large well respected local architecture firm as well as one of the largest facility companies in the US and up there worldwide is certainly a good combination.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:35 PM

I don’t know if JLL is managing their property full time or not.

In the case of the Crossroads Blvd. expansion, they were apparently brought in as a construction manager for the project, working under JDavis. Many large architectural firms offer this service in house, while others may outsource this function. My experience has been that the project architectural firm has also handled the construction management (for an additional fee of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary