Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 06:30 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Trading Ned makes no sense to me, at least give the guy a chance to prove he can be "the guy" going forward.

As for the draft, this draft wasn't very strong even pre-Covid. That said there's still great talent to be had, some of the picks are intriguing, others won't ever sniff the NHL, no different than any other year I guess.
I accept Don Waddell's statement on Ned as clearly expressing his position. And, they have watched Ned up close for 5 years, and should have a good feel for his abilities.
I sorta hope they can sign Bernier. He was quite productive behind a terrible D squad last season.

Don got himself some later round lottery tickets, and who knows what may blossom.
And, he says, even by trading down, he was able to get every player they had targeted. Cool, that.

Maybe we can send 5 prospects to Arizona for Darcy Kuemper and Phil Kessel, if the yotes will take back salary. They are running a total garage sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 09:37 AM

Big Day for the Canes.

Mrazek, Reimer, out.
Foegele, Out.

Antti Raanta, In.
Frederik Andersen, In.

Martinook, 3x$1.8 million. Fair deal.

Tony DeAngelo, 1 x $1 million. Edgy move, for sure.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:00 AM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
Dougie Hamilton OUT. Dougie went to the NJ Devils.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:55 PM

McGinn >> Pittsburgh.
Ouch. So it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Dougie Hamilton OUT. Dougie went to the NJ Devils.
Dougie gets 7 years at $9 million from NJD.
Hate to lose his shot, but glad we aren't on the hook for that deal.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:30 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u8ttltq6j...TLKC4msYa?dl=0

Don Waddell and Tony Deangelo presser

Old 07-28-2021, 08:47 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
I'm not torn up about DeAngelo. It's a one-year deal at almost minimum wage. If he doesn't perform or he misbehaves, the Canes can drop him with little financial loss. This is not the Alexander Semin scenario or the Sean Burke scenario.

It's clear that TD, DW, and RBA believe a substantial change in the roster was needed to get the Canes into the Cup finals. The decisions on Forslund and Kaiton demonstrate that at the end of the day, TD isn't particularly concerned about the fans' opinions. If the Canes go deep in the playoffs, no one will remember Ned, McGinn, or Foegele.

I really like the Raanta-Andersen combo in goal.

Dougie was great offensively, but Slavin often covered his defensive errors. Neither Cole nor Bear has Dougie's offensive ability, but let's see what happens next. I doubt the Canes are finished. They may have to wait and see how much they'll pay Svech and how much cap room will remain. And something still has to be done about Gardiner.

A vote of confidence in Lorentz. Door is wide open for Suzuki and Jarvis in training camp.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:03 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Bo, you would think for a player who's made a lot of money it would be easier to lower the demand for salary to remain on a team (IF he likes where he's playing). In the case of Dougie Hamilton, he's 28 years old and has made approximately $37 million according to the web site CapFriendly. Granted, cost of living, taxes, agent fees, etc have reduced his gross income. But still, that's not bad for someone of his age having played just six years. Wish I could have done as well after working for a salary over 37 years.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dougie. But he's just one of many players in this game who has made a pile of money over a relatively short playing career. Think of Crosby, Ovechkin, and others on that level.
well, the NJ Devils did not agree with you and me

Old 07-29-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Big Day for the Canes.

Mrazek, Reimer, out.
Foegele, Out.

Antti Raanta, In.
Frederik Andersen, In.

Martinook, 3x$1.8 million. Fair deal.

Tony DeAngelo, 1 x $1 million. Edgy move, for sure.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...swap-1.6120791

we let Mrazek go, and are paying some backup more?

Old 07-29-2021, 07:15 PM

I'm always flabbergasted at pro contracts, especially in like the NFL and NHL. If memory serves, MLB and NBA are all guaranteed, but still - the NBA makes no sense, other than rookies get a 3 yr slotted contract.

It is very odd if we really chose to not give Ned $3.5 for a longer term (?) and instead are paying someone with no current success $1MM more annually.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:07 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
De'Angelo got undressed last year by Aho in the qualifiers. That said he isn't a bad player but he is a powder keg, but it's 1 year so we'll see. Perhaps he will get it through his mind that if he can't behave himself here, then no one else will touch him.

I am not a fan of the goaltender situation. Rannata is good when healthy but he isn't healthy that much, Andersen spurned us once but forgetting that, he's been on a downslide in production. I'd of rather they found a way to keep Ned.

The rest of the signings/transactions are kind of whatever. I'd of kept Brock because I like the way he plays but losing him doesn't have to hurt us. Dougie leaving opens up money for Svech and Necas in the future but also hurts us this season and possibly next, but after that who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary