Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 05:12 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Canes have four (4) 2nd round picks today.
Swapped their first round, #27, to Nashville for two (2) second round picks, #40 and #51.

So, they pick #40, #44, #51, #59.
Might be a crafty move, in a draft year that doesn't have a wealth of highly anticipated standout prospects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 08:07 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Canes are in a squeeze to pay Svech and also to retain Hamilton -- or if not Hamilton, to buy another UFA D who can play in the top four and scores more goals than Slavin and Pesce. The Canes can't afford a whopping arbitrator's award. Whatever Ned wanted from the Canes, it didn't fit the TD/DW arithmetic. I suspect the math has more to do with his departure than a suspicion he's a one reel wonder.

Bernier is not a Roy or a Vasilevskiy but he puts up very consistent numbers, season after season. He's age 32 and has a few years left, possibly longer in a backup role. Former round 1, number 11 draft pick. I assume the Canes already have a verbal agreement with him or intend to deal his rights to another club right away.

Ned was never going to be the sole goalie for 82 games, so the question remains who else will the Canes sign.
pretty much what I heard - 2nd hand from someone who talked to someone who would know.

It's certainly a big issue in pro sports. When you've played a bunch of years and made a bunch of money, you can be more "team first" and spread the wealth/understand the need to pay "everybody". I'm hopeful there's some of this with Dougie.

When you're young, you better get what you can because there's zero guarantee you'll get it in the future.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:31 AM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
Bo, you would think for a player who's made a lot of money it would be easier to lower the demand for salary to remain on a team (IF he likes where he's playing). In the case of Dougie Hamilton, he's 28 years old and has made approximately $37 million according to the web site CapFriendly. Granted, cost of living, taxes, agent fees, etc have reduced his gross income. But still, that's not bad for someone of his age having played just six years. Wish I could have done as well after working for a salary over 37 years.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dougie. But he's just one of many players in this game who has made a pile of money over a relatively short playing career. Think of Crosby, Ovechkin, and others on that level.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Bo, you would think for a player who's made a lot of money it would be easier to lower the demand for salary to remain on a team (IF he likes where he's playing). In the case of Dougie Hamilton, he's 28 years old and has made approximately $37 million according to the web site CapFriendly. Granted, cost of living, taxes, agent fees, etc have reduced his gross income. But still, that's not bad for someone of his age having played just six years. Wish I could have done as well after working for a salary over 37 years.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dougie. But he's just one of many players in this game who has made a pile of money over a relatively short playing career. Think of Crosby, Ovechkin, and others on that level.
I grasp the idea of taking a slight discount to stay here, but who's to judge what Dougie should do?
Makar @ $9 million and Jones @ $9.5 million...

Ovie has made $124 million in his career. Sid has made $104 million.

Where should Dougie fall and how low should he go to stay here?

Old 07-24-2021, 11:27 AM

Only Dougie can know what to do.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:52 AM

I believe at this point the Canes have traded down, 1 for 2 to now have 12 picks in the entry draft.

Old 07-24-2021, 12:49 PM

Not impressed with the picks so far by the Canes. But this is apparently not a strong group of candidates this year.

Old 07-24-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Not impressed with the picks so far by the Canes. But this is apparently not a strong group of candidates this year.
They've kicked the can down the road a bit, trading a pick to Chicago for a 3rd rounder in 2022.
Yeah, the 2021 pool isn't overwhelming many people.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:29 PM

Canes have drafted Robert (Bobby) Orr. Really.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:24 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Trading Ned makes no sense to me, at least give the guy a chance to prove he can be "the guy" going forward.

As for the draft, this draft wasn't very strong even pre-Covid. That said there's still great talent to be had, some of the picks are intriguing, others won't ever sniff the NHL, no different than any other year I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary