Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 12:15 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'd call that a VERY optimistic assessment and allow about an hour "just in case". You never know what can go wrong at an airport drop-off.
I agree..as I missed a flight at an airport that didn't even require a shuttle to get to the terminal, I'm extra cautious. I just wanted to verify if RDU was notoriously slow or crammed etc. I read a ton of reviews and it was all over the place. I realize most reviews are by people who are unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 12:17 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWeigh View Post
I am from NYC and find restaurants here sub par. I don't mean any offense. I am used to tons of restaurants. diners. delis, pizzerias, every kind of ethnic food made my immigrants and/or kids of immigrants. Nothing here compares. There is also long wait times and since Covid, many places are only open 5-8, not on certain days, etc. I can't compare to Florida, because I do not know the food there.My sister relocated to Florida from NYC and tells me the food, pizza, chinese is bad there. Please, again, to anyone reading I am not trying to be offensive. Food, restaurants etc are just so very subjective when getting opinions. I have read people raving about places I think are terrible, for example.
No where compares to NYC, in my opinion. The falafel from the Halal truck, for $10, is better than the falafel I have gotten anywhere else. But there is a good variety in the Triangle. We love Indian food, for instance, and there are several places in Cary that we enjoy. Join that Triangle Foodies group, as another poster suggested.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Where will you be staying? Any price considerations?
We are staying at the Mayton. Not looking for super fancy but do like good food. We know for special occasions we can go anywhere, but kind of interested in the local daily sort of places. Not chains though..

Old 02-16-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
Don't forget to factor in if you need to, filling up the rental car w/gas. And are you checking a bag? Sometimes that alone takes 20 minutes- I've seen the Delta line be pretty bad.

For 11:30 on Saturday I don't think is prime time. Still I'd aim to be at the rental car center 2 hours prior. Even 25 minutes car and 20 minutes bag, 5 minutes precheck still plenty of time. And check out 42nd st. Oyster bar in the terminal after security.

Restaurants I have no idea budget etc. but

Wake Forest has Shorty's Hot Dogs and the Burger Shop as local faves.

Chapel Hill has Top of the Hill and Mama Dip's as staples.

Apex I've only heard of Peak Grill.

Cary has Corbett's Burgers and Dannys BBQ I've heard good things.
Thanks...definitely could do BBQ...don't care what kind, since we only have crap BBQ here.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:55 PM

595 posts, read 676,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
We are staying at the Mayton. Not looking for super fancy but do like good food. We know for special occasions we can go anywhere, but kind of interested in the local daily sort of places. Not chains though..
If you’re at the Mayton, then I’d definitely recommend a walk over to Bond Brothers Beer Company. They have a great selection of beers and is a fun place to hang out. The food trucks tend to be really good. You can always get a De Fara pizza or some food from Pro’s Epicurean to enjoy while having a few beers. Pharmacy, just down the street from your hotel also has an excellent beer selection. If something sweet is your jam, Fresh Local ice cream is right there and delicious. Want some great Chinese? Taipei 101 is in the same general location and awesome. My friend from China took me there and told me it was quite authentic. All of these are within close walking distance of the Mayton.

Once you decide to drive somewhere, there are lots of choices, so I’ll let others provide some recommendations, but I’ll put a plug in for Lucky 32 in Cary. The food is great and I guess one might call it upscaled “Southern”.

Should you want to travel as far as Durham, then two of my favorites are Mateo for Tapas and Mother and Sons for Italian. Definitely pop in to Criterion for drinks.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 02-16-2022, 01:36 PM

376 posts, read 653,112 times
Oh, if you want BBQ. Closest to Cary is The Pit, Clyde Coopers, or Old Time BBQ. They all serve eastern NC style I believe- which is chopped pork and vinegar based, I like it but some people don't if you're not into the vinegar. At the Pit, I think you can get plain pork and sauce as you like. They have both tomato based western NC, and eastern based vinegar.

There's some good spots in Durham but I'm not as familiar.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:05 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
If you like Mediterranean/Lebanese food, Sassool in Cary is fantastic. For a great downtown pub with awesome food, we love Salem Street in Apex or very close by Scratch Kitchen & Tap Room for new takes on Southern classics (both on Main Street). If the weather is nice, Fortnight Brewing in Cary has great beer in a nice outdoor setting with food trucks.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:11 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
Oh, if you want BBQ. Closest to Cary is The Pit, Clyde Coopers, or Old Time BBQ. They all serve eastern NC style I believe- which is chopped pork and vinegar based, I like it but some people don't if you're not into the vinegar. At the Pit, I think you can get plain pork and sauce as you like. They have both tomato based western NC, and eastern based vinegar.

There's some good spots in Durham but I'm not as familiar.
Sam Jones is close to Clyde Cooper’s also.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:23 PM

289 posts, read 254,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
It's in Downtown Raleigh, but I highly recommend Poole's Diner. Don't let the word "Diner" in the name or the appearance of the outside of the building fool you. My wife and I have enjoyed some very good food there.

Poole’s Downtown Diner | AC Restaurants

If you go, you must order the macaroni au gratin!

Old 02-16-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
If you’re at the Mayton, then I’d definitely recommend a walk over to Bond Brothers Beer Company. They have a great selection of beers and is a fun place to hang out. The food trucks tend to be really good. You can always get a De Fara pizza or some food from Pro’s Epicurean to enjoy while having a few beers. Pharmacy, just down the street from your hotel also has an excellent beer selection. If something sweet is your jam, Fresh Local ice cream is right there and delicious. Want some great Chinese? Taipei 101 is in the same general location and awesome. My friend from China took me there and told me it was quite authentic. All of these are within close walking distance of the Mayton.

Once you decide to drive somewhere, there are lots of choices, so I’ll let others provide some recommendations, but I’ll put a plug in for Lucky 32 in Cary. The food is great and I guess one might call it upscaled “Southern”.

Should you want to travel as far as Durham, then two of my favorites are Mateo for Tapas and Mother and Sons for Italian. Definitely pop in to Criterion for drinks.

Enjoy your trip!
OMG! Now I'm hungry. This is exactly the sort of places we love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary