Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 02:44 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN56T View Post
On one off our scouting trips to the triangle area we went to Lucky 32. Part of my dinner was still frozen and my wife disliked hers. After we moved down to Cary we kept hearing how good 32 is so we figured we try again. Mistake.

We did enjoy Herons...first trip we stayed at Umstead. Wife really enjoyed the spa too. But admittedly this place is not for everyone.

Cary. Sassol is nice. Pro's Epicurean, Bosphorus and a bit further south, Chef's Palette. Have yet to try the asian fusion restaurant near Mayton.

Scratch and The Provincial in Apex

Raleigh. Second Empire, Crawford and Son are restaurants we enjoyed. Many others in Raleigh, some mentioned here.

Fearrington Inn is a fine restaurant. The Belted Goat for lunch...especially if it's a nice day...the patio is nice.

There are plenty of nice restaurants in the area so explore some too.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Lucky32. Did they do anything to fix your meals?

I would like to go back to Herons. We didn't have a good experience last time. Is there anything in particular that you would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 03:34 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Pretty sure I've mentioned this here before, but we were also unimpressed with Lucky 32. Had a special extended family dinner there a couple of years ago, and most everything was just meh. Didn't understand the hype.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:15 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Pretty sure I've mentioned this here before, but we were also unimpressed with Lucky 32. Had a special extended family dinner there a couple of years ago, and most everything was just meh. Didn't understand the hype.
It was great when I moved here 8 years ago. It's gone downhill since.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:56 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
Agreed. They have absolutely gone downhill in the past 5 or 6 years.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:06 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'd call that a VERY optimistic assessment and allow about an hour "just in case". You never know what can go wrong at an airport drop-off.
Considering I've done this dozens of times, I'm comfortable with my estimates. It's literally less than five minutes from the rental site to the terminal, and I've never needed more than five minutes passing through the terminal since signing up for TSA Pre, even when the line was its longest ever.

An hour? That's insanely pessimistic.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:44 AM

595 posts, read 676,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN56T View Post
On one off our scouting trips to the triangle area we went to Lucky 32. Part of my dinner was still frozen and my wife disliked hers. After we moved down to Cary we kept hearing how good 32 is so we figured we try again. Mistake.

Cary. Sassol is nice. Pro's Epicurean, Bosphorus

The Provincial in Apex

Raleigh. Second Empire…
That’s too bad you (and a few others) had a bad experience at Lucky 32, I’ve always enjoyed it.

I agree on these other restaurants as well, I’ve had great food here. For my 40th birthday, my wife surprised me with the chef’s table experience. We sat in the kitchen and got to watch the process of an amazing staff execute dinner service. The Sous chef came over to describe everything in each dish, how they were prepared, answering any questions I had. It was a lot of fun!

Old 02-20-2022, 08:01 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
Lots of good restaurants in the Triangle. No, it isn't NYC or LA or NOLA, but very solid.
Mediterranean: agree with Sassool. Also really like Bosphorous, which is Turkish.
BbQ: my family likes Sam Jones the best.
Special Occasion: Second Empire

Old 02-20-2022, 08:59 AM

595 posts, read 676,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
For my 40th birthday, my wife surprised me with the chef’s table experience. We sat in the kitchen and got to watch the process of an amazing staff execute dinner service. The Sous chef came over to describe everything in each dish, how they were prepared, answering any questions I had. It was a lot of fun!
The chef’s table was at Second Empire.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:59 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I wouldn't move here for the food.

We used to love Lucky 32 when it was in North Raleigh. Went once to Cary -- won't go back.

Heron's was awful. Stayed at the hotel with a visting friend. At lunch, we walked into the empty restaurant and asked for a window seat. I always get a window seat no matter where I eat. They said NO. Why? "Because we're expecting a bus load of people." (A literal bus load.) I didn't see that as a good reason to deny us a table near the window.

Then at dinner, they gave us foie gras for free for no reason. Goose liver paste. I nearly threw up at the thought. I love the beauty of LIVE geese. I asked them to please take it away -- quickly.

The food and activities in the Triangle will never be as varied as in NYC or any tourist area such as in Florida. You won't starve in the Triangle. You can have fun. But different places offer different things.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:57 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
This is the same bias that inspires people to bash on Angus Barn. What hype? Were you expecting a culinary experience that would alter your perception of reality? Did you think it was going to be one of the best meals you would have anywhere?

Or were you looking for a locally sourced, southern style menu that offers creative dishes in a pleasant environment? Because if that was what you were expecting, and you found it less than, the problem may just be you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
It was great when I moved here 8 years ago. It's gone downhill since.
Funny, we go there usually twice each year and after the last meal in September were relieved that they weathered the pandemic so well. The meal was flat out fantastic and the service its usual flawless experience.

Specifically, what was it that made you think it's gone downhill over the years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I wouldn't move here for the food.

We used to love Lucky 32 when it was in North Raleigh. Went once to Cary -- won't go back.

Heron's was awful. Stayed at the hotel with a visting friend. At lunch, we walked into the empty restaurant and asked for a window seat. I always get a window seat no matter where I eat. They said NO. Why? "Because we're expecting a bus load of people." (A literal bus load.) I didn't see that as a good reason to deny us a table near the window.

Then at dinner, they gave us foie gras for free for no reason. Goose liver paste. I nearly threw up at the thought. I love the beauty of LIVE geese. I asked them to please take it away -- quickly.

The food and activities in the Triangle will never be as varied as in NYC or any tourist area such as in Florida. You won't starve in the Triangle. You can have fun. But different places offer different things.
All this dumping on Lucky 32 makes me grateful I don't own a restaurant. We've been there so many times and have always had a great meal. It's one of only a handful of restaurants in the Triangle where the cost of the meal never bothers me because we enjoy it that much. And it's a unique dining experience also because of it's focus on local fare and being a farm-to-table concept.

Also, are there people who actually move places for the food? That's such an odd comment to me and now I'm wondering if there are people who do that.

I love living in the Triangle and wish that people who moved here and are constantly distracted by what it isn't would just go back to whatever city they fawn over. Go deal with the (still) higher cost of living, way worse traffic and much more stressful existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary