Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 10:40 AM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWeigh View Post
I am from NYC and find restaurants here sub par. I don't mean any offense. I am used to tons of restaurants. diners. delis, pizzerias, every kind of ethnic food made my immigrants and/or kids of immigrants. Nothing here compares. There is also long wait times and since Covid, many places are only open 5-8, not on certain days, etc. I can't compare to Florida, because I do not know the food there. My sister relocated to Florida from NYC and tells me the food, pizza, chinese is bad there. Please, again, to anyone reading I am not trying to be offensive. Food, restaurants, etc are just so very subjective when getting opinions. I have read people raving about places I think are terrible, for example.
Strange response through and through. I'm surprised to hear that a small city of 500,000 people doesn't have as many good restaurants as a city of 8,800,000 people- I can't for the life of me figure out how that's possible? And of course you think the Raleigh-raved places are terrible- your superior New York City palate is WAY too sophisticated for us down here southern folk. Even a 2-day old dumpster pizza (at least the dumpster is in New York City! so many flavors in that thing!) is better than any "pizza" down here!

Last edited by LordHelmit; 02-21-2022 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 10:49 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
This is the same bias that inspires people to bash on Angus Barn. What hype? Were you expecting a culinary experience that would alter your perception of reality? Did you think it was going to be one of the best meals you would have anywhere?

Or were you looking for a locally sourced, southern style menu that offers creative dishes in a pleasant environment? Because if that was what you were expecting, and you found it less than, the problem may just be you.
Oddly aggressive response, but okay. You're reading too much into my use of "hype"...I simply meant the recommendations I've seen over the years.

I was certainly not looking for the former, but I expected something better than our usual dinner out. Definitely didn't find it. Most of the extended family was from out of town and had no expectations, yet they came away unimpressed. I thought my jambalaya and cauliflower mash were decent. Cornbread was tasteless, though I know that's "intentional" some places. Others in my party had the fried chicken and pork loin and they said those were average. I've had better fritters and collards in plenty of other places. Broke my heart a bit that the family member who was treating that night saw the general response from everyone at the table.

Based on what I'm seeing here, I'm far from the only one who has been disappointed by Lucky 32 in recent years.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:55 AM

405 posts, read 316,855 times
Lucky 32 used to be excellent, but I agree with others that is has gone downhill, and is not the place it used to be. I think that this started after the employee buyout. However, we ate in the Greensboro Lucky 32 three years ago, and it was quite good. So it seems to be hit or miss.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:26 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Funny, we go there usually twice each year and after the last meal in September were relieved that they weathered the pandemic so well. The meal was flat out fantastic and the service its usual flawless experience.

Specifically, what was it that made you think it's gone downhill over the years?
I'm glad you like Lucky 32 and hope you will still support them. Didn't mean to "dump" on them, but was just sharing my opinion that I didn't think they were as good as they once were. I'm happy to hear that you feel otherwise!

The quality of service and the food in my opinion is still alright, just not as great as it used to be. I wouldn't take a guest from out of town there anymore for example. I also think part of that is there are a ton more options in the area now of places to go eat at.

Btw I went to Beefmastor Inn in Wilson this weekend and I don't think I can ever go back to Angus Barn......haha

Old 02-21-2022, 01:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
On the topic of Lucky32, my wife and I tried it once in Spring 2018 (I remember because we were staying at a nearby hotel while we waited for our rental house move-in date) and it was just ok, we were very bored by the food, service, etc. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing or unique or anything special. Nice interior and exterior though.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:52 PM

18,046 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Pretty sure I've mentioned this here before, but we were also unimpressed with Lucky 32.
Ditto. Been there 2 or 3 times over the last decade. It's just ok and not worth the hype, IMO.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:05 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
Follow up on our visit:

Since we stayed at the Mayton, we ate nearby most nights. Great meal at MCs just down the road. Had very good meal at Academy Street Bistro. We also ate one night at the Peck and Plume at the hotel also very good. We also had a pretty good meal at Lucky 32. It wasn't the best meal while in Cary, but it sure wasn't bad. I would have to say the service was great at all the places we ate at. Prices were about right for the level of service and food. Unlike where we live, which imposes tourist prices and provides crappy tourist service because there are 40 people waiting in line to eat so they don't need to impress you to get you to come back.

For those that say Raleigh isn't a foodie place haven't really been to a place that is completely void of good restaurants. And we have lived in Vegas, Washington DC, England, Italy, and Germany, so we have pretty decent palates and know good food. We drove by at least 30 places we want to try.

As for the airport and rental car drop-off, total breeze! The whole security process, even if we didn't have TSA precheck was almost empty. Maybe because it was a Saturday?

We spent four days driving around looking at various housing areas, shopping centers, restaurants, traffic patterns etc.

The overall impression is the area has some great traffic infrastructure in place, lots of wide roads and multiple routes to choose from to get where we wanted to go. We really never ran into any major traffic issues. Noticed in the places where there is lots of new building going on they are also upgrading the roads etc. None of those places were to our liking, but I can see where they serve their purpose. Our favorite neighborhood was Macgregor Downs. Husband likes trees and the new construction, aside from being cookie-cutter homes, just wipes all the trees out!

There is definitely an abundance of Harris Teeters and medical offices around! But Cary definitely could use a Wegmans!

Old 02-27-2022, 04:18 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Follow up on our visit:

Since we stayed at the Mayton, we ate nearby most nights. Great meal at MCs just down the road. Had very good meal at Academy Street Bistro. We also ate one night at the Peck and Plume at the hotel also very good. We also had a pretty good meal at Lucky 32. It wasn't the best meal while in Cary, but it sure wasn't bad. I would have to say the service was great at all the places we ate at. Prices were about right for the level of service and food. Unlike where we live, which imposes tourist prices and provides crappy tourist service because there are 40 people waiting in line to eat so they don't need to impress you to get you to come back.

For those that say Raleigh isn't a foodie place haven't really been to a place that is completely void of good restaurants. And we have lived in Vegas, Washington DC, England, Italy, and Germany, so we have pretty decent palates and know good food. We drove by at least 30 places we want to try.

As for the airport and rental car drop-off, total breeze! The whole security process, even if we didn't have TSA precheck was almost empty. Maybe because it was a Saturday?

We spent four days driving around looking at various housing areas, shopping centers, restaurants, traffic patterns etc.

The overall impression is the area has some great traffic infrastructure in place, lots of wide roads and multiple routes to choose from to get where we wanted to go. We really never ran into any major traffic issues. Noticed in the places where there is lots of new building going on they are also upgrading the roads etc. None of those places were to our liking, but I can see where they serve their purpose. Our favorite neighborhood was Macgregor Downs. Husband likes trees and the new construction, aside from being cookie-cutter homes, just wipes all the trees out!

There is definitely an abundance of Harris Teeters and medical offices around! But Cary definitely could use a Wegmans!
We have Wegmans.
https://www.wegmans.com/west-cary/

I would expect to see another one in Cary at some point.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:52 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I'd expect someone from FL to be looking for Publix, not Wegman's.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:02 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We have Wegmans.
https://www.wegmans.com/west-cary/

I would expect to see another one in Cary at some point.
Actually, we went to that one. I thought that was Morrisville, the signage seemed to change back and forth from Morrisville to Cary.

I was thinking more around the eastern part. We did eat lunch at a place right near Wegmans, sort of a Mediterranean Chipotle. Really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary