Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 09:00 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,730,342 times

Advertisements

Will be in the area next week, have a couple of questions regarding the airport and Restaurants

1. Any must-do restaurants in Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, and Chapel Hill. Trying to get a feel for those areas.

2. How is the rental car drop off at RDU? How much time should I allot for that? Flight is at 1130 on a Saturday, Delta with TSA precheck. I've missed my flight before because of insane rental car drop-off wait times at an onsite car place, since this has a shuttle, I'm leary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 09:19 AM

61 posts, read 49,968 times
Where are you coming from? Food and restaurants reviews are extremely subjective depending where you are from.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:48 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,730,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWeigh View Post
Where are you coming from? Food and restaurants reviews are extremely subjective depending where you are from.
Very True! The Destin FL area. So seafood is not something we are looking for, necessarily. We enjoy just about every type of food. We are considering relocating up there, and restaurants are a big part of our lifestyle. This area has some good ones but not enough to keep us interested. And come springbreak/summer hour+ waits aren't our thing. And the lack of variety here is huge! Around here if you can't get into one restaurant it is 20+ minutes to some of the others we like, just to risk a wait there as well.
So few take reservations, we tend to stick to those that do. I would love an area where there are multiple choices from one parking lot.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:56 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,866,297 times
Where will you be staying? Any price considerations?

Old 02-16-2022, 09:56 AM

149 posts, read 284,174 times
There’s a Triangle Foodies Facebook group that’ll offer the details you need.
We’ve found some great places through it.

Old 02-16-2022, 10:00 AM

61 posts, read 49,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Very True! The Destin FL area. So seafood is not something we are looking for, necessarily. We enjoy just about every type of food. We are considering relocating up there, and restaurants are a big part of our lifestyle. This area has some good ones but not enough to keep us interested. And come springbreak/summer hour+ waits aren't our thing. And the lack of variety here is huge! Around here if you can't get into one restaurant it is 20+ minutes to some of the others we like, just to risk a wait there as well.
So few take reservations, we tend to stick to those that do. I would love an area where there are multiple choices from one parking lot.

I am from NYC and find restaurants here sub par. I don't mean any offense. I am used to tons of restaurants. diners. delis, pizzerias, every kind of ethnic food made my immigrants and/or kids of immigrants. Nothing here compares. There is also long wait times and since Covid, many places are only open 5-8, not on certain days, etc. I can't compare to Florida, because I do not know the food there.My sister relocated to Florida from NYC and tells me the food, pizza, chinese is bad there. Please, again, to anyone reading I am not trying to be offensive. Food, restaurants etc are just so very subjective when getting opinions. I have read people raving about places I think are terrible, for example.

Old 02-16-2022, 10:01 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,579,774 times
Returning a rental and getting back to the terminal will take 5-10 minutes, max. The rental sites are centrally located in the middle of RDU and the shuttles don't sit for more than a few minutes. Factoring in TSA Pre, you'll be at your gate < 15 minutes from when you drop the car off.

Old 02-16-2022, 10:55 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Returning a rental and getting back to the terminal will take 5-10 minutes, max. The rental sites are centrally located in the middle of RDU and the shuttles don't sit for more than a few minutes. Factoring in TSA Pre, you'll be at your gate < 15 minutes from when you drop the car off.
I'd call that a VERY optimistic assessment and allow about an hour "just in case". You never know what can go wrong at an airport drop-off.

Old 02-16-2022, 11:11 AM

376 posts, read 654,429 times
Don't forget to factor in if you need to, filling up the rental car w/gas. And are you checking a bag? Sometimes that alone takes 20 minutes- I've seen the Delta line be pretty bad.

For 11:30 on Saturday I don't think is prime time. Still I'd aim to be at the rental car center 2 hours prior. Even 25 minutes car and 20 minutes bag, 5 minutes precheck still plenty of time. And check out 42nd st. Oyster bar in the terminal after security.

Restaurants I have no idea budget etc. but

Wake Forest has Shorty's Hot Dogs and the Burger Shop as local faves.

Chapel Hill has Top of the Hill and Mama Dip's as staples.

Apex I've only heard of Peak Grill.

Cary has Corbett's Burgers and Dannys BBQ I've heard good things.

Old 02-16-2022, 11:56 AM

5,899 posts, read 6,968,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
Cary has Corbett's Burgers and Dannys BBQ I've heard good things.
Danny's is good, but it is not NC BBQ (nor do they claim to be), in case that is what the OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary