Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2022, 01:15 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,603,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Almost every thing that you just wrote was what I was thinking about when I talked about the destruction of the family. Yes, divorce does cause problems for kids, but that was only one part of what I meant. What you wrote above is a very good list of some of the things I was thinking of, and you added more that I forgot about (one TV, for example, until we were older).

One thing that gets me, and has for a long time, which I mentioned in the last post that I made is: So many families don't even sit together at dinner time, at a table, looking at each other and talking to each other.

We did that every single night. We might have our own lives, school, work, sports, going to friends' houses, etc, but we always ate at the dinner table, together, every. night. And the parents asked questions.
It's paywalled but there was a Wall Street Journal article on this very topic last week. There's a strong correlation between family meals (which has declined from 5 a week on average in 1996 to a little more than 4 in 2008) and the emotional and physical well-being of children but there's some debate among researchers whether it's more of a proxy of other factors associated with better outcomes for children such as family stress, strong parent-child relationships and higher household incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 01:40 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,361,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulaskicountyindiana View Post
Meth heads roll around here in pair cars.. lots of empty trailers on land they squat in. A meth dealer lives around the corner from me. Let us compare arrest records of neighbors.
I live in a part of North Carolina that was featured on an episode of Gangland and I'm not running around here like it's the Wild-west. I get it; you LOVE your guns. You're not alone. I just don't see a need for 15 year olds to have access to one and to be trained on how to use it. The average 15-year-old in America does not have the maturity in which to use one and know when NOT to use one.

Old 10-17-2022, 02:21 PM

805 posts, read 525,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulaskicountyindiana View Post
The only thing I can say is to test it, Medaryville, IN - walk around like you talk watch what happens. You won't though, deep down you know better. Your dad's family - lol.
This is bizarre. You think you’re the only one who comes from depressed, high crime areas?

Old 10-17-2022, 02:36 PM

1,330 posts, read 727,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
The kids are all right. It's the guns and the gun lobby that is out of control.
From what I'm seeing all around me as the parent of two teens and what I've been reading, I disagree with your first statement here. I think we have a youth mental health problem and a gun problem.

The kids are not all right. The CDC finds mental health among teens has declined

Youth mental health crisis is “the next wave of the pandemic,” Duke psychiatrist says

Old 10-17-2022, 02:55 PM

105 posts, read 66,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
One thing that I appreciated recently in the school shooting in Michigan is that prosectutors decided to go after the parents of the kid for involuntary manslaughter. Parents really need to start facing more accountability for these incidents if there is total neglect. No idea if they will face any jail time or any consequences but it should happen.

It's one thing if you try to help your kid and he still goes off the rails but it's another if you just don't care.
This article really sums up the total dysfunction of the MI shooter's family.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/05/us/ox...ife/index.html

Old 10-17-2022, 03:15 PM

50,429 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Some people with guns decide to express their feelings through the use of their firearm, so they do stupid things like what this guy 2 miles away from the mass shooting did. Firearms aren't just tools, they are an identity extension for many people. They only feel important and powerful when they have a gun, and the bigger the gun, the better. I'd say it's not unlike middleage men buying their Porsche with a whale tale.

Compensation
Spoken like someone who knows zero about firearms. All the hoplophobes are screeching about "assault weapons", "assault rifles" and AR-15s. The standard AR is in .223 caliber. Hardly a large round at all.

Is this like middle aged women getting breast implants?

Some of these people are simply broken. They have nothing to lose, nothing. I just wish they'd off themselves without taking others with them. Like DUI crashes.

Old 10-17-2022, 03:35 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,063,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Spoken like someone who knows zero about firearms. All the hoplophobes are screeching about "assault weapons", "assault rifles" and AR-15s. The standard AR is in .223 caliber. Hardly a large round at all.

Is this like middle aged women getting breast implants?

Some of these people are simply broken. They have nothing to lose, nothing. I just wish they'd off themselves without taking others with them. Like DUI crashes.
Isn't the bigger issue with ARs not that the round is massive, but that it is fired with a muzzle velocity of 3300 ft/sec?

Kinetic Energy (which is where a bullet gets it damaging power from) focuses on Mass and Velocity. No? (I'm digging deep into the HS Physics classes here admittedly and I haven't been in HS in over 20 years).

The diameter (caliber) of a bullet has no impact on the Kinetic Energy equation. Its mass times velocity squared.

I agree with your closing line.

Old 10-17-2022, 03:41 PM

805 posts, read 525,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Isn't the bigger issue with ARs not that the round is massive, but that it is fired with a muzzle velocity of 3300 ft/sec?

Kinetic Energy (which is where a bullet gets it damaging power from) focuses on Mass and Velocity. No? (I'm digging deep into the HS Physics classes here admittedly and I haven't been in HS in over 20 years).

The diameter (caliber) of a bullet has no impact on the Kinetic Energy equation. Its mass times velocity squared.

I agree with your closing line.
Yes, they are designed to cause massive damage to internal organs without great aim being necessary.

Old 10-17-2022, 03:53 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,063,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Yes, they are designed to cause massive damage to internal organs without great aim being necessary.
Correct. The AR was designed specifically to "kill a solider, in a helmet, at 500 yrds" (as memory serves, those were the exact requirements for it as stated when it was developed in the 50s).

The .223 round weighs 5.46 grams. Has a muzzle velocity of 3300 ft/sec

The 7.62 round (AK47) weighs 9.5 grams and has a muzzle velocity of 2297 ft/sec

(5.46 * 3300^2) / 2 = 2761.97 Joules of Energy

(9.5 * 2297^2) / 2 = 2328.33 Joules of Energy

In short, the smaller round (.223) packs 18% more Kinetic Energy than the bigger round (7.62) because the velocity is squared and the muzzle velocity is 44% more in the AR

Old 10-17-2022, 04:15 PM

1,063 posts, read 915,072 times
thank you for the science, GVoR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary