Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2022, 01:37 PM

105 posts, read 65,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Serial Killers in the 60s/70s shocked the conscious.
At least the incidence of serial killers has decreased over the years which is good but now we've got these mass shooters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 01:45 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
A follow up to my post earlier about how I thought the media attention on this one was a little strange:

Quote:
The Gun Violence Archive, a non-profit that tracks gun violence across the country, shows 532 mass shootings in 2022, incidents in which four or more people were shot or killed, not including the shooter. Seventeen of those events have happened in North Carolina; 14 people have died in mass shootings in the state, and 68 have been injured.
https://www.wral.com/the-nightmare-o...year/20521759/

For sure we haven't heard about the 532 mass shootings across the country so far this year, and honestly I'm surprised that there have been 17 mass shootings in NC. It would be interesting to see the race/demographics of those involved compared to the amount of media coverage.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:34 PM

185 posts, read 127,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
A follow up to my post earlier about how I thought the media attention on this one was a little strange:

For sure we haven't heard about the 532 mass shootings across the country so far this year, and honestly I'm surprised that there have been 17 mass shootings in NC. It would be interesting to see the race/demographics of those involved compared to the amount of media coverage.
I thought about responding to this ridiculous post but why waste my time on this nonsense. I guess this why no one else responded, either. #smh

Old 10-15-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
I thought about responding to this ridiculous post but why waste my time on this nonsense. I guess this why no one else responded, either. #smh
Honestly if someone else posted this would you think it's ridiculous? Please enlighten us all as to why the post is ridiculous.

By the way...you responded to the post.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:44 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:

Did you even read the article? I think it answers your question.

Not trying to be snarky, (I swear) but I do understand (having a child with LDs) that there are people who can read anything and not understand a word of it. If this is the case, someone you know may be able to break it down for you.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Did you even read the article? I think it answers your question.

Not trying to be snarky, (I swear) but I do understand (having a child with LDs) that there are people who can read anything and not understand a word of it. If this is the case, someone you know may be able to break it down for you.
What question was I asking? I made a statement that it's odd how some "mass shootings" are more publicized than others.

I guess you're referring to this?

Quote:
While there is no similar shared understanding of a "mass shooting" across law enforcement agencies, the media and the public, there is little doubt that the deaths of five people and injuries to several others on Thursday in Raleigh qualify.
If so I don't think it's a misunderstanding, I think it's that it depends on where the mass shooting occurs and who was involved.

Did you know there was a mass shooting in SC with five people killed, less than a week ago? I found one article on CNN that was written three days after, same with Fox.

There was a mass shooting in Fort Worth, TX a little over a week ago.

Lets face it, if someone in a primarily black, high-crime neighborhood in <insert city here> walked down the street and shot four people, I am pretty confident it wouldn't be top headline news on CNN and Fox News. Going back to the other thread about Durham, everyone loves to say "oh Durham is perfectly safe", but you know what - the people that live in the unsafe neighborhoods would most definitely disagree. And it's messed up that we turn a blind eye to it just because it's a bad neighborhood without white people. Crime is crime, and people should be up in arms about it regardless of where it occurs and regardless of the race of the criminals or the victims.

By the way, saying "not trying to be snarky" doesn't make it any less snarky.

Last edited by m378; 10-15-2022 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-15-2022, 06:21 PM

179 posts, read 151,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

The overwhelming commonality amongst the mass murderers who killed a bunch of people in church/school/movie theater is:

They are white
They are male
They are under the age of 23
In many cases they are on/have been on SSRIs
In many cases they have "incel grievance" or "were picked on". Call it "general angryness"
Last time this happened in Raleigh he was black... https://legeros.com/history/stories/north-hills/

Or, more recently...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/15/us/st...ted/index.html

Amazing how some folks want to make EVERYTHING a race issue.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:08 PM

563 posts, read 955,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
Last time this happened in Raleigh he was black... https://legeros.com/history/stories/north-hills/
That article is about a mass shooting that was over 50 years ago. The other link is about a serial killer, although that is just as serious.

98% of mass shootings are committed by males (https://www.npr.org/2021/03/27/98180...ooters-are-men).

Perceived grievances are a common theme (https://wamu.org/story/19/08/13/many...vance-culture/). A large majority are white, but not all of them.

Last edited by JackieRTP; 10-15-2022 at 08:00 PM..

Old 10-15-2022, 08:10 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
What question was I asking? I made a statement that it's odd how some "mass shootings" are more publicized than others.

I guess you're referring to this?

If so I don't think it's a misunderstanding, I think it's that it depends on where the mass shooting occurs and who was involved.

Did you know there was a mass shooting in SC with five people killed, less than a week ago? I found one article on CNN that was written three days after, same with Fox.

There was a mass shooting in Fort Worth, TX a little over a week ago.

Lets face it, if someone in a primarily black, high-crime neighborhood in <insert city here> walked down the street and shot four people, I am pretty confident it wouldn't be top headline news on CNN and Fox News. Going back to the other thread about Durham, everyone loves to say "oh Durham is perfectly safe", but you know what - the people that live in the unsafe neighborhoods would most definitely disagree. And it's messed up that we turn a blind eye to it just because it's a bad neighborhood without white people. Crime is crime, and people should be up in arms about it regardless of where it occurs and regardless of the race of the criminals or the victims.

By the way, saying "not trying to be snarky" doesn't make it any less snarky.
And you've left out the very definitions you asked for that were in the article. Which is why I asked if you read it. I guess I see a difference between a drug related shooting or a bunch of people being shot in a house, and a gunman who goes out in a suburban neighborhood - after killing his brother in their house - and starts shooting people on the street, menaces kids who got off a bus, and then goes on a greenway and continues his spree, and then flees to private property and barricades himself, while ( as far as we know) stone cold sober). If you don't see any difference between those types of events and why the media would cover them differently, that's fine. You're entitled. Personally if someone were on the greenway very close to my house shooting people up, I'd like to know about it sooner rather than later. if a bunch of people doing a drug deal in a car were shot up that's of less concern to me, frankly. And a bunch of people victimized in their own home by a meth addict is just pure bad luck, and if it was contained there - again, not as much of a concern. I'm not sure if your problem is the coverage as it was happening, or its aftermath. Either way - if you are not happy with it, change the channel, turn off the TV and go for a walk or become a network TV exec. I mean at this point in our history, there's only so many minutes of airtime, and they cannot cover every shooting because there's too damn many of them.

I do think it's funny that your'e always complaining about spare change being stolen from cars, but are questioning why the media is covering HO HUM a shooting in a local, suburban neighborhood. At this point you're just coming off as someone who likes to stir the pot and has nothing of real value to add to any conversation other than being a contrarian.

And by "not trying to be snarky" I meant I was not trying to offend you, when the intent to do so often is there on social media. You genuinely asked what the difference was between the scenarios and I genuinely wondered (having a child who could read anything at age 5, but still struggles with comprehension to this day) if you could not understand what the article was getting at. Your responses do not disabuse me of that notion, but I do apologize if it offended you. I hope my explanations above clarify things.

Last edited by twingles; 10-15-2022 at 08:19 PM..

Old 10-15-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And you've left out the very definitions you asked for that were in the article. Which is why I asked if you read it. I guess I see a difference between a drug related shooting or a bunch of people being shot in a house, and a gunman who goes out in a suburban neighborhood - after killing his brother in their house - and starts shooting people on the street, menaces kids who got off a bus, and then goes on a greenway and continues his spree, and then flees to private property and barricades himself, while ( as far as we know) stone cold sober). If you don't see any difference between those types of events and why the media would cover them differently, that's fine. You're entitled. Personally if someone were on the greenway very close to my house shooting people up, I'd like to know about it sooner rather than later. if a bunch of people doing a drug deal in a car were shot up that's of less concern to me, frankly. And a bunch of people victimized in their own home by a meth addict is just pure bad luck, and if it was contained there - again, not as much of a concern. I'm not sure if your problem is the coverage as it was happening, or its aftermath. Either way - if you are not happy with it, change the channel, turn off the TV and go for a walk or become a network TV exec. I mean at this point in our history, there's only so many minutes of airtime, and they cannot cover every shooting because there's too damn many of them.

And by "not trying to be snarky" I meant I was not trying to offend you, when the intent to do so often is there on social media.
You sort of showed your cards right there. That's exactly my point - it was big news because it happened in a suburban (predominantly white) neighborhood. This would not have been the case if it was in a non-suburban non-predominantly-white neighborhood.

I don't care about how it was covered by the media, that's not my point. My point is what you just proved. Mass shootings literally happen more than once a day on average, and people only get outraged when it's white people. There's a lot of irony in that right there, especially considering the current political climate.

Five people killed is five people killed. If you're going to be outraged, be outraged about all mass shootings. And for the record I'm not saying that because I think people should be outraged at minorities, I'm saying that because I think it's unfair to minorities that live in high crime areas who have to deal with that crime every day, and nobody gives a crap. Everyone just says "oh well it's only in certain neighborhoods so it's fine" Imagine if you had to worry about this type of gun violence every...single...day.

As for this that you added after:

Quote:
I do think it's funny that your'e always complaining about spare change being stolen from cars, but are questioning why the media is covering HO HUM a shooting in a local, suburban neighborhood. At this point you're just coming off as someone who likes to stir the pot and has nothing of real value to add to any conversation other than being a contrarian.
Again you're completely missing the point - I think maybe it's your comprehension that's struggling. And no I don't come here to stir the pot, I come here to converse and give my opinion on things, just like everyone else, which is the whole point of a discussion forum. It just happens that my opinion doesn't match with the majority of the active posters on here.

Honestly I'm a little surprised to be getting this level of heat from you, as I thought we were on the same page on a lot of things. I say we drop it here and consider it a misunderstanding.

Last edited by m378; 10-15-2022 at 08:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary