Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2022, 09:17 AM

19,743 posts, read 20,300,567 times

Advertisements

Raleigh Shooting Victim Remains At Hospital As 60th Birthday Nears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbz7Z5Rk1W0

Let's keep Marcille "Lynn" Gardner in our prayers, she's still in critical condition @ Wake Med. +
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 09:35 AM

4,575 posts, read 3,777,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Not arguing, but curious. Did you see this response with Uvalde? I was railing about how known his issues were yet he still could buy guns.
I agree - most people don’t want to put a hard stop to things. But in the end, it doesn’t matter. America is so gun-friendly that any teenager can get a hold of a firearm. What’s affected
Me to this point is teenagers getting hold of a firearm to shoot themselves.

Old 10-15-2022, 09:56 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,169,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
You’re not answering the question of why it’s different with different races on this kind of “terrorism.” You can talk all you want about black parents and Muslim parents but none of that will matter to you.
It’s not my responsibility to answer any of those questions!

Having said that, we all have our own opinions as to why things are the way they are.

Old 10-15-2022, 10:13 AM

7,078 posts, read 12,363,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
It’s not my responsibility to answer any of those questions!

Having said that, we all have our own opinions as to why things are the way they are.
With respect to the victims in mind; I really think race and ethnicity are a bit inappropriate here. To me, this seems like another case of mental illness signs that were not taken seriously. And mental illness doesn't care about the race, gender, religion, political affiliation, or sexual orientation of its victims. I had an uncle who committed suicide some years back and he was definitely "off" by all measures before it happened.

With that said, there are environmental factors with mental (or developmental) illnesses that can make the situation worse or make the situation more likely to become violent. A nice home in a suburban area that led to a greenway shooting simply does not fit the environmental profile. It just doesn't. However, mental illness does NOT discriminate against class or race (which is why discussions about class and race just don't fit here). Innocent beautiful people lost their lives and a child (not a monster) didn't get the intervention that he needed. This is a wake up call to us all about paying close attention to the clues that our loved ones and our children show us. The "child that never smiles" is the child that needs a psychiatrist's professional evaluation. No excuses!!!!

Old 10-15-2022, 11:26 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,064,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
With respect to the victims in mind; I really think race and ethnicity are a bit inappropriate here. To me, this seems like another case of mental illness signs that were not taken seriously. And mental illness doesn't care about the race, gender, religion, political affiliation, or sexual orientation of its victims. I had an uncle who committed suicide some years back and he was definitely "off" by all measures before it happened.

With that said, there are environmental factors with mental (or developmental) illnesses that can make the situation worse or make the situation more likely to become violent. A nice home in a suburban area that led to a greenway shooting simply does not fit the environmental profile. It just doesn't. However, mental illness does NOT discriminate against class or race (which is why discussions about class and race just don't fit here). Innocent beautiful people lost their lives and a child (not a monster) didn't get the intervention that he needed. This is a wake up call to us all about paying close attention to the clues that our loved ones and our children show us. The "child that never smiles" is the child that needs a psychiatrist's professional evaluation. No excuses!!!!
Race does come into play because when you compartmentalize "mass shootings" from "shootings" there are clear and obvious commonalities that keep showing up.

How many mass shootings have there been since Columbine? I am using "mass shooting" as the term for an event where an individual finds a soft target and inflicts mass causalities; be it a mall, church, school, movie theater. These are clearly different events (to this reader) than "5 killed last night is a gang shoot out in the South Side of Chicago".

The overwhelming commonality amongst the mass murderers who killed a bunch of people in church/school/movie theater is:

They are white
They are male
They are under the age of 23
In many cases they are on/have been on SSRIs
In many cases they have "incel grievance" or "were picked on". Call it "general angryness"

What is it about that cohort (white, male, under 23, exposure to SSRIs who are angry for not "getting theirs") that repeatedly, almost on a regular cadence for the last 20 some odd years leads to the same outcome over and over and over again?

Why aren't [minority gang members] running into schools and killing 10-20 kids? Why aren't [minority gang members] running into a church and killing 23 people? To make it local, why isn't it gang members from Durham driving to some middle class neighborhood in East Raleigh and murdering 5 random people? Why is almost exclusively basically the living embodiment of Full Metal Jacket's Gomer Pyle who pull this chit?

As Sargent Hartman asks "What is your basic malfunction numbnuts? Did mommy and daddy not love you enough?"

I will say this as a dad of two. I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more afraid of my kids getting killed by a classmate "who looks like them and comes from the same socio-economic place they do" than I am afraid they will be caught up in a random criminal event that leads to their demise.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:59 AM

105 posts, read 66,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
What is it about that cohort (white, male, under 23, exposure to SSRIs who are angry for not "getting theirs") that repeatedly, almost on a regular cadence for the last 20 some odd years leads to the same outcome over and over and over again?
David Berkowitz answered this question about why way back in 1976.

"Berkowitz later stated in a series of meetings with his special court-appointed psychiatrist David Abrahamsen that he had long contemplated murder to get revenge on a world that he felt had rejected and hurt him." (Wikipedia)

Old 10-15-2022, 12:11 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,064,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Sheridan View Post
David Berkowitz answered this question about why way back in 1976.

"Berkowitz later stated in a series of meetings with his special court-appointed psychiatrist David Abrahamsen that he had long contemplated murder to get revenge on a world that he felt had rejected and hurt him." (Wikipedia)
Then we have fallen from the rungs of seriousness (as a society and country) more than I already think we have (FTR I don't find us a serious country for a multitude of reasons).

If that is the "why" then we are society living in mass psychosis. Berkowitz, in his time and context, was an outlier. Serial Killers in the 60s/70s shocked the conscious. It broke from the baseline of what decent society was expected to be. The Manson murders literally ended an era in their randomness and brutality.

Mass shootings are now common place and have been for a generation. It's effing sad that a country that built its reputation on solving the seemingly impossible has no real idea on how to deal with this in a way that could be described as "a serious attempt" by anyone with four firing synapses.

Old 10-15-2022, 01:02 PM

105 posts, read 66,569 times
Quote:
It's effing sad that a country that built its reputation on solving the seemingly impossible has no real idea on how to deal with this in a way that could be described as "a serious attempt" by anyone with four firing synapses.
It will be interesting to see how the case of Ethan Crumbley pans out. His parents are being charged on four counts of involuntary manslaughter which could set a new trend moving forward in these cases. The prosecutors are saying that they greatly contributed to his poor mental health with negligent parenting and also failed to get him mental health care. I feel that if the parents of these minor-age shooters are proven to be grossly negligent resulting in their child's mental health issues then they should be held legally responsible as well.

Old 10-15-2022, 01:06 PM

7,078 posts, read 12,363,670 times
Quote:
Race does come into play because when you compartmentalize "mass shootings" from "shootings" there are clear and obvious commonalities that keep showing up.

How many mass shootings have there been since Columbine? I am using "mass shooting" as the term for an event where an individual finds a soft target and inflicts mass causalities; be it a mall, church, school, movie theater. These are clearly different events (to this reader) than "5 killed last night is a gang shoot out in the South Side of Chicago".

The overwhelming commonality amongst the mass murderers who killed a bunch of people in church/school/movie theater is:

They are white
They are male
They are under the age of 23
In many cases they are on/have been on SSRIs
In many cases they have "incel grievance" or "were picked on". Call it "general angryness"

Why aren't [minority gang members] running into schools and killing 10-20 kids? Why aren't [minority gang members] running into a church and killing 23 people? To make it local, why isn't it gang members from Durham driving to some middle class neighborhood in East Raleigh and murdering 5 random people? Why is almost exclusively basically the living embodiment of Full Metal Jacket's Gomer Pyle who pull this chit?

As Sargent Hartman asks "What is your basic malfunction numbnuts? Did mommy and daddy not love you enough?"

I will say this as a dad of two. I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more afraid of my kids getting killed by a classmate "who looks like them and comes from the same socio-economic place they do" than I am afraid they will be caught up in a random criminal event that leads to their demise.
I respect your position, however there was the DC sniper and the college in Virginia too (black male and an Asian male if my memory is correct). While I will concede that the overwhelming majority are white males that's a byproduct of the fact that white males are the majority of the population. Which brings me back to my original point that mental illnesses doesn't really care about race or background. Regardless of race we need to take the signs seriously of that "off" member of our family or that friend.

Old 10-15-2022, 01:32 PM

30,319 posts, read 23,800,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I agree with what you are saying however we as parents (even the helicopter one's like I kind of was) have to realize that our children will never tell us everything. That is why parents have to really be present in their children's lives so that they can "see" / "feel" the signs that something is not right and then actually intervene and get the help their child needs.

Time after time, when these horrific situations happen, we find out that there were signs that the parents saw. And yet these same parents still allowed their children to have weapons (or have easy access to them). So that really was my point. I really think that most of these parents did see signs and if they did why in the world would you buy a gun for your child (like in the Highland Park shooter case) or even have any guns in your home if your child is exhibiting signs of mental illness. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Again, like I stated earlier, we don't have any details yet in this case so I am not saying that this is the case here but these types of cases do tend to have a lot similarities. We will just have to wait and see what they find out during this investigation.
As someone mentioned above, and as I stated, you can make a kid go, but you can't make them cooperate.

I have no idea why this kid did what he did. I would never claim to understand. What I do know is that too many adults don't seem to understand how to build trust in a kid that would allow them to feel truly free to say what they need to say.

You can be the best parent around, but what some parents miss is: How they react towards the kid with everything else in life, and, most importantly, they aren't around when a kid feels like they do want to talk.

As for firearms, my dad had his rifles on a stand in his room. Unlocked. The difference between 'keeping them locked up' and what my dad did are completely different. He took us out to the woods. I was 6 years old the first time I shot a rifle. He completely removed the curiosity, and he taught us just how real they were.

We had video games as kids. I actually excelled at the shooter games. But shooting in a game vs shooting in real life - you know there's a huge difference when you're allowed to do both, or see the results. My dad hunted. He would bring home the kills. As a huge animal lover who would go up to her room and cry when she found skinned rabbits in the freezer, I knew very well what a gun could do and that it was permanent.

Maybe, instead of hiding all of this from kids, teach them exactly what they do. Show them that it's permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfreeUSA4life View Post
Let’s stop playing games. The insinuation of showing this little bastard some compassion is the problem… This is going on all over America, with no equal repercussions. The only punishment for white mass murdering males is to become a martyr…

He needs to be punished appropriately and put on display for the world to see.
Who is showing compassion? I have to seriously edit myself on this forum from what I'd really like to say about him. I have to resort to 'punk brat' but I assure you, that is nowhere NEAR what I really think of him. He murdered his fricken neighbors that never did a thing to him! I'm beyond ticked - but I can't tell you how I feel on this forum because I have to be 'nice' with my words on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfreeUSA4life View Post
You’re right. Throw the freaking phones in the trashcan and tell the doctor to kick rocks with the corporate medicine.
People have to start being more engaged in their children’s lives. Turning the electronics off is a great start!
Absolutely agree.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 10-15-2022 at 01:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary