Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2022, 07:29 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Compassion? Who in the hell has done that? Can you point to one post where that was the case?

The only compassion I have seen is critiquing posts where absolutes about the parents are being made (such as my posts where I have basically chit all over the parents)

That's hardly compassion for "this little bastard".
I have compassion for him. He's a 15 year old boy that ended up in such a state that he killed his brother and four other people and tried to kill himself. I was going to say I can't even imagine, but honestly, I've been in dark enough places in my life that I can imagine some of the pain (just not acting on it). He deserved better as did the victims. We as a society failed this kid and those that were killed as well as the families involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfreeUSA4life View Post
Exactly.

Unfortunately, there is no help for people like this in today’s society. This is the reality we live in. People like this should be hung or burned in front of the world to show that there are repercussions for your actions. Political correctness is destroying us.
Most mass shooters are on a suicide mission anyway, so I don't think this would dissuade them.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:34 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,163,444 times
Quote:
Future was bleak for being a white male?! Where is that occurring in this country?

We're still the most protected species in the history of civilization (even though we aren't as protected as we were in my grandfather's generation where your race and gender alone was good enough to get almost any job you wanted)

"White, Straight and Male....how many advantages does one person need?" - Louis C.K.
I'm not arguing whether that sentiment is right or wrong, but make no mistake about it, there are plenty of younger white males today who feel like the societal and economic privileges that white men have enjoyed are slowly being taken away, and they will eventually be in a very different place than they are today.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:34 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I have compassion for him. He's a 15 year old boy that ended up in such a state that he killed his brother and four other people and tried to kill himself. I was going to say I can't even imagine, but honestly, I've been in dark enough places in my life that I can imagine some of the pain (just not acting on it). He deserved better as did the victims. We as a society failed this kid and those that were killed as well as the families involved.

Your original post (back after mine where I brought up missing signs by the rents) was one I had in mind when I posted this post you're quoting.

I took your position to be anyone can have kids who are emotionally troubled and we (I) shouldn't hammed the parents like I did.

Having said that, I have zero compassion for him. My empathy is strong, but has limits. I feel bad for the families of the people who were just doing their thing on the greenway and got blasted by this chitstain.

And even less for the parents. This wasn't some 18 year old who could access these things on their own.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:35 AM

55 posts, read 34,658 times
Quote:
Future was bleak for being a white male?! Where is that occurring in this country?

We're still the most protected species in the history of civilization (even though we aren't as protected as we were in my grandfather's generation where your race and gender alone was good enough to get almost any job you wanted)

"White, Straight and Male....how many advantages does one person need?" - Louis C.K.

"He was just joshing around"

Thank you, your post just summed up pretty much everything I was trying to state.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:39 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I'm not arguing whether that sentiment is right or wrong, but make no mistake about it, there are plenty of younger white males today who feel like the societal and economic privileges that white men have enjoyed are slowly being taken away, and they will eventually be in a very different place than they are today.

Then they need to come back to reality and stop listening to ***holes who constantly reinforce "mediocrity grievance" for personal financial gain.

Sure the days of "oh you can remember to breath, you're white and you're a dude....you're hired" are gone (rightfully!)...but holy hell.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Your original post (back after mine where I brought up missing signs by the rents) was one I had in mind when I posted this post you're quoting.

I took your position to be anyone can have kids who are emotionally troubled and we (I) shouldn't hammed the parents like I did.

Having said that, I have zero compassion for him. My empathy is strong, but has limits. I feel bad for the families of the people who were just doing their thing on the greenway and got blasted by this chitstain.

And even less for the parents. This wasn't some 18 year old who could access these things on their own.
I have tremendous compassion for the families of the victims as well and am self aware enough to know that if I were one of those families members, I'd want to rip this boy apart with my bare hands. I wouldn't blame them if they had not one ounce of compassion for him now or ever and wanted the the death penalty for him (if he survives) in the most painful way legally possibly.

That said, I have a 14 year old and a 16 year old who have had their struggles over the years, and I know lots of families with teens who are struggling mightily right now, so I can see things from that angle too. The pressure of having a child who is struggling with mental health and at times in crisis puts on a family cannot be understated. And in my experience, despite lots of lip service and platitudes, there's not nearly enough help or support out there for the kids or the families. Add to that our gun culture, and it's a recipe for disaster.

Old 10-15-2022, 08:05 AM

805 posts, read 524,284 times
Our gun culture is a recipe for disaster, that’s for certain.

If we keep arming these sociopathic white boys/young men, I don’t see how we can expect our communities to be safe.

Old 10-15-2022, 08:15 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,746,709 times
UnfreeUSA4life is not wrong on his/her thinking, I believe. While growing up in rural American as a white foreigner who couldn't speak English well, and then my family marrying into other races as we grew, I've seen plenty.

The old meme still works and it would help if we don't follow a strict route like that. But again, in media/TV/regular talk, it still spells out different types of shooters for who they are:

Is the shooter Muslim/Brown? --> Start travel bans
Is the shooter Hispanic? --> Build a wall
Is the shooter Black? --> More cops and prisons
Is the shooter White? --> Thoughts and prayers and why did our pi$$ poor mental health system fail him/her?

Old 10-15-2022, 08:16 AM

8,038 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Why are so many people surprised that it could happen in Raleigh, N.C.?

It's really not Mayberry down here, contrary to popular belief outside of the state.

North Carolina has the same current problems with violence, drugs, and societal ills that are occuring elsewhere.

That's even in the small rural towns, and the wealthy enclaves.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary