Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 09:44 AM

218 posts, read 309,984 times

Advertisements

hey guys he didn’t win

No need to set fires to prove the point, because it’s, you know, easily proven. Just let the gullible identify themselves and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 04:04 PM

10,042 posts, read 15,707,910 times
He's been caught. He was posting on a cycling website and was identified by someone in California.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:30 PM

22,686 posts, read 36,866,029 times
I love people who think the cameras can see everyone but them, or that their social media presence isn't easily traceable.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:58 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,605,937 times
the guy with the signs was John Kane Jr, the son of John Kane the developer around here lol

Old 08-22-2023, 01:30 AM

2,623 posts, read 3,158,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"...arsonist..." A bit over the top, methinks.

"...vandal..." might be more appropriate.
Burning another person's property is a form of arson, regardless of whether you like Trump or not. I don't like him either but never disturbed his signs. I didn't like Obama and didn't disturb any of his signs either.

Old 08-22-2023, 03:38 AM

857 posts, read 424,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
the guy with the signs was John Kane Jr, the son of John Kane the developer around here lol
"lol"? The sign in question is protected free speech with both its message and owner's identity irrelevant. Not complicated stuff. I ride by plenty of signs that I don't like on my own bike, some in Wake County, but I don't sneak back to light them on fire.

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-22-2023 at 05:07 AM..

Old 08-22-2023, 06:25 AM

43,365 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Burning another person's property is a form of arson, regardless of whether you like Trump or not. I don't like him either but never disturbed his signs. I didn't like Obama and didn't disturb any of his signs either.

Liking or not liking Trump is hardly relevant to the discussion.
But, I would still suggest "arson" is being overworked, which certainly does not make the guy right to burn the sign. I don't see him being charged with a felony for stupid behavior.

https://www.ncleg.gov/Sessions/2021/...PDF/H315v6.pdf
It seems that "intent" is a material consideration in defining an act as arson.

And, more reading:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/arson

I am a bit curious what the basis was for the City to ask Young Kane repeatedly to remove the sign?
But, those requests and my curiosity are also certainly not grounds to justify vandalism.
I foresee misdemeanor vandalism charges and a scion with means to lawyer up making a splashy civil case of it.

The whole sordid episode certainly does expose an interesting list of whackadoodle Big Lie conspiracy aficionados, however.

Old 08-22-2023, 06:44 AM

857 posts, read 424,689 times
There's two things relevant to the conversation: freedom of speech and vandalism. The rest? Noise of the "Tolerant". 30 days in a red MAGA cycling helmet would even things for me. And lawyer fees till he's riding a Huffy. Two nuts with one being a criminal as well.

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-22-2023 at 07:06 AM..

Old 08-22-2023, 07:45 AM

11,232 posts, read 8,325,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Is this (by chance) the sign that is on the Raleigh Greenway system, near Root Elementary School? For those that ride a lot, it would be just after the wooden staircase onto Hertford St.

Just curious. That sign cracks me up. The stupidity of putting his ignorance on display with a banner. (Even Trump knows he didn't win.) Yet I've never even considered burning it down. I just ride my bike, shrug, and go on with my day.

What the guy did was vandalism. I don't think it amounts to Arson. I think he should be held accountable, as should anyone else who does similar.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:03 AM

6,114 posts, read 2,889,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Is this (by chance) the sign that is on the Raleigh Greenway system, near Root Elementary School? For those that ride a lot, it would be just after the wooden staircase onto Hertford St.

Just curious. That sign cracks me up. The stupidity of putting his ignorance on display with a banner. (Even Trump knows he didn't win.) Yet I've never even considered burning it down. I just ride my bike, shrug, and go on with my day.

What the guy did was vandalism. I don't think it amounts to Arson. I think he should be held accountable, as should anyone else who does similar.
Merriam-Webster defines arson as: the willful or malicious burning of property (such as a building) especially with criminal or fraudulent intent. The perpetrator willfully burned the property of another. WRAL reported that the Raleigh Police Department was investigating this case as arson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary