Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 07:33 PM

382 posts, read 210,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
According to this WRAL article, damaging or destroying a political sign is a Class 3 misdemeanor and can result in a fine, community service or jail time.
There is no question that what this man did was wrong, and he will pay a price. I am glad that he was caught. However, it is obvious that he only intended to damage / destroy the sign and nothing else on the property. If he has a clean record, he will get a slap on the wrist; a fine and maybe some community service. End of the criminal charges.

John "Richie Rich" Kane Jr is out for blood. Asking for a jury trial for the civil case is completely unwarranted in this situation, and it may work against him if the jury thinks that he is using his wealth just to make this man's life miserable. Some of the jurists may even agree with what the "cyclist" did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 09:30 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,630,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I think this particular case is being prosecuted appropriately. And don't underestimate the sudden turn for the worse that this moron's life will soon be taking or the stupidity that brought it about. Castle Doctrine or not, people get shot for less every day and there's simply no way to know in advance how a particular apoplectic homeowner will react to this sort of idiocy. Staying off of private property with cigarette lighters is a very good way of not finding out.

This I can agree with 100%.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:35 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,630,985 times
Quote:
According to this WRAL article, damaging or destroying a political sign is a Class 3 misdemeanor and can result in a fine, community service or jail time.

What he eventually did was to destroy a sign, which I would agree is a fairly minuscule offense. Had he stolen the sign, or ripped up the sign, I wouldn't get nearly as bent out of shape. It's when you've got a repeat offender starting fires with no means of putting it down should it get out of hand that I'm a big proponent for ask intentions later and stop the problem first. The choice of kindling doesn't really matter.

Many a criminal is stopped not by intention or moral compass but by their own stupidity.

Old 08-23-2023, 10:06 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,366,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
There is no question that what this man did was wrong, and he will pay a price. I am glad that he was caught. However, it is obvious that he only intended to damage / destroy the sign and nothing else on the property. If he has a clean record, he will get a slap on the wrist; a fine and maybe some community service. End of the criminal charges.

John "Richie Rich" Kane Jr is out for blood. Asking for a jury trial for the civil case is completely unwarranted in this situation, and it may work against him if the jury thinks that he is using his wealth just to make this man's life miserable. Some of the jurists may even agree with what the "cyclist" did.
I don't see the benefit of a jury trial, but I'm pretty sure the plaintiff will win out over the defendant here. The evidence is conclusive, and the defendant has already admitted guilt.

Old 08-23-2023, 10:16 PM

382 posts, read 210,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I don't see the benefit of a jury trial, but I'm pretty sure the plaintiff will win out over the defendant here. The evidence is conclusive, and the defendant has already admitted guilt.
Don't bet on it. The defendant will claim that he was triggered over the sign. I am surprised that "Richie Rich" is pursuing this route.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:45 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,318,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Charges have now been filed.

https://legacy.wral.com/man-charged-...yard/21010625/
"James Dennis White was charged with two counts of damage to real property in relation to the incident."
This seems reasonable and in line with what I expected for this minor crime.

Old 08-24-2023, 05:01 AM

857 posts, read 425,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This seems reasonable and in line with what I expected for this minor crime.
One thing's for certain, Mr. James White Jr. will never again attempt to suppress another's right to freedom of expression through destruction of personal property. Public humiliation and criminal charges work wonders toward the tolerance of opinions other than one's own, and for this we have Mr. Kane, local law enforcement and our criminal justice system to thank. This is how it's supposed to work in a democratic society. Most of us are sophisticated enough to understand this, and others we need to teach.

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-24-2023 at 05:29 AM..

Old 08-24-2023, 05:37 AM

19,756 posts, read 20,312,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
What he eventually did was to destroy a sign, which I would agree is a fairly minuscule offense. Had he stolen the sign, or ripped up the sign, I wouldn't get nearly as bent out of shape. It's when you've got a repeat offender starting fires with no means of putting it down should it get out of hand that I'm a big proponent for ask intentions later and stop the problem first. The choice of kindling doesn't really matter.

I agree. And after watching Maui burn to a crisp, I have a different opinion on people setting fires..this really freaks me out.

Old 08-24-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:
He doesn't appear to believe in the justice system or a democratic society with a "Trump won" sign in 2023 after he lost 60+ court cases and there was no widespread evidence of voter fraud.
This is completey irrelevant, and I suspect that you understand this. We're all free to express our own opinions within a legal framework, but not to interfere with the expression by others of opinions with which we personally disagree. This I can only HOPE that you understand. And please realize that a similar sign on Mr. Kane's property, this one merely endorsing a Trump presidency, was vandalized three times as well. Anything else?

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-24-2023 at 06:35 AM..

Old 08-24-2023, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Liking or not liking Trump is hardly relevant to the discussion.
But, I would still suggest "arson" is being overworked, which certainly does not make the guy right to burn the sign. I don't see him being charged with a felony for stupid behavior.

https://www.ncleg.gov/Sessions/2021/...PDF/H315v6.pdf
It seems that "intent" is a material consideration in defining an act as arson.

And, more reading:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/arson

I am a bit curious what the basis was for the City to ask Young Kane repeatedly to remove the sign?
But, those requests and my curiosity are also certainly not grounds to justify vandalism.
I foresee misdemeanor vandalism charges and a scion with means to lawyer up making a splashy civil case of it.

The whole sordid episode certainly does expose an interesting list of whackadoodle Big Lie conspiracy aficionados, however.
"Liking or not liking Trump is hardly relevant to the discussion". Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary