Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 11:13 AM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
It is a class 3 misdemeanor for a person to steal, deface, vandalize or unlawfully remove a political sign that is lawfully placed.

https://raleighnc.gov/planning/servi...gn-regulations
He didn't do that though. He burned personal property.

Do not let arson become ok in your area. It is not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 11:20 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Is this case it was considered arson:

https://projectrealnv.org/political-...going-to-jail/

This was also arson:

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/02/...olitical-sign/

…stopped looking after those two.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:00 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I mean, it wasn't a long or difficult read....

I think they meant:

"burning of any goods, wares, merchandise or other chattels or personal property of any kind,"

Real property is a different law and it has higher consequences.
I read it. I just don’t think it applies and neither, apparently, does the judge.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:02 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Is this case it was considered arson:

https://projectrealnv.org/political-...going-to-jail/

This was also arson:

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/02/...olitical-sign/

…stopped looking after those two.
In both examples, additional damage was done. And, it’s at the discretion of the court anyway.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:02 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Free publicity!
Mr. Kane, as well as every other American, is free to seek redress for perceived harm in civil court at his own cost for representation. If a judge or jury finds his suit to be frivolous or without merit, they'll surely let him know. Hard to understand why anyone here has a problem with this. And it's not nearly free, he's represented by an attorney.

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-24-2023 at 01:12 PM..

Old 08-24-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Remind us again what his Spandex has to do with anything, or why you keep on trying to put it in the forefront?

Why it matters to me? I ride a bike, I wear spandex sometimes. I don't support what this guy does, and I don't like that people are already talking about targeting cyclist (yes, those posts did happen, they were appropriately deleted). It has nothing to do with cyclists, and I wish people like you would stop with the false association, for no other reason than my own personal safety.

My bet: $500-$1000 fine, and some significant community service hours. I would agree with both, and think the latter is really important, to make an impression on the perp.
Mr. White was wearing spandex when he committed the crime. He was dressed in full cycling kit on a road bike recording on Strava when he committed the crime (seriously). Linked articles here describe him as a cyclist, because he is and was. Not all cyclists commit vandalism, but this one did. You honestly believe that this information should be suppressed because you don't like it? I'm an avid cyclist and it doesn't bother me in the least.
It's entirely common and acceptable to describe a criminal by any individual peculiarities associated with the commission of the crime. Do I need to fill these pages with examples? From a recent headline: "Jogger snatches woman's handbag". Should I be offended as a runner? Fearful of my safety?

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-24-2023 at 01:18 PM..

Old 08-24-2023, 12:19 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
In both examples, additional damage was done. And, it’s at the discretion of the court anyway.
Lol some plants and grass below the signs were burnt up. I’m gonna go on a limb and say the same thing may have occurred here.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Lol some plants and grass below the signs were burnt up. I’m gonna go on a limb and say the same thing may have occurred here.
It's at the discretion of the district attorney. He dodged a bullet and he likely knows it. For as long as he walks this Earth, this dimwit won't look cross-eyed at a political sign.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:05 PM

313 posts, read 179,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
It is a class 3 misdemeanor for a person to steal, deface, vandalize or unlawfully remove a political sign that is lawfully placed.

https://raleighnc.gov/planning/servi...gn-regulations
And yet if it was a BLM sign in a black family's yard, that would be a hate crime

Old 08-25-2023, 05:12 AM

218 posts, read 308,259 times
Well, see, there’s a legal distinction at play here: race is a protected class; idiocy is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary