Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 07:01 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times

Advertisements

The fact that the guy came back a second time just to light the thing on fire won’t bode well for him. I did lol at his little kicks I’m not gonna lie.

He’s lucky he didn’t cause more damage than he did. I don’t know about anyone else but my yard is crispy as hell right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 07:10 AM

854 posts, read 419,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
The fact that the guy came back a second time just to light the thing on fire won’t bode well for him. I did lol at his little kicks I’m not gonna lie.

He’s lucky he didn’t cause more damage than he did. I don’t know about anyone else but my yard is crispy as hell right now.
If he walks into civil court with a "sign trigger" defense, on three separate occasions with two obviously premeditated, he'd better remember to bring his checkbook. At any rate, when his lawyers are through with him, he won't feel like sitting on a bike saddle any time soon.

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-24-2023 at 07:21 AM..

Old 08-24-2023, 07:13 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,576,135 times
Okay, CD Sentencing Time:

I'll go with a $1000 fine and 200 hours of community service.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:23 AM

43,317 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post

I'm taking the Under on both...

Old 08-24-2023, 07:28 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This seems reasonable and in line with what I expected for this minor crime.
Kicking and/or tearing up a small sign.....yes....that is minor. However I don't see intentionally starting a fire as minor. It was done in the middle of the night and the guy left. There is no telling what could have happened.

I think all of us have to take the sign out of this situation. If someone came onto your property and lit a fire while you and your family were sleeping how would you feel? I doubt you would feel it was a minor thing.

And for the record I detest Trump and feel that all of these signs (especially at this point) are ridiculous. People just need to ignore them.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post

I think the max fine is $200. This and some amount of community service, along with his admission of guilt and contrition, and not to mention his public embarrassment, satisfies me. Civil court is anybody's guess. Twice premeditated, by fire? I'd personally send his wallet a message.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:33 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Unfortunately in this day and age it will all come down to the political affiliation of the jury. If this was anything else but a political sign that was burned down, I think many peoples opinions would be much different.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately in this day and age it will all come down to the political affiliation of the jury. If this was anything else but a political sign that was burned down, I think many peoples opinions would be much different.
Video of the Spandex Spark in action will be powerful evidence. And it's an elemental understanding that fire is inherently dangerous. I predict some amount of monetary damages for the plaintiff.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Kicking and/or tearing up a small sign.....yes....that is minor. However I don't see intentionally starting a fire as minor. It was done in the middle of the night and the guy left. There is no telling what could have happened.

I think all of us have to take the sign out of this situation. If someone came onto your property and lit a fire while you and your family were sleeping how would you feel? I doubt you would feel it was a minor thing.

And for the record I detest Trump and feel that all of these signs (especially at this point) are ridiculous. People just need to ignore them.
He left. Slipping into the darkness as a coward and a common vandal. With a fire burning on the front lawn of a house with a sleeping family inside. Not knowing or caring what harm might ensue. Twice. Because of an expressed opinion different than his own. The safest bet of all is that these facts will be presented to a civil jury for their consideration. And in the abstract, an inability to brook the differing opinions of others is invariably a result of insecurity regarding one's own.

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-24-2023 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-24-2023, 08:22 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:

Yup - one gust of wind and first the flag and then the house goes up. He's actually lucky he's not facing murder charges.

What the sign says is irrelevant as we mostly seem to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary