Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 08:00 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
The easiest way to avoid possible physical consequences in situations like this is not to steal onto someone's private property and light things on fire in the first place. Would you, yourself, not expect a minimum of a sound beating if caught in the act by an owner. Personally, I'd consider myself lucky to wind up in a hospital instead of a corn field. Some folks believe in their own justice.
I would not have committed the crime, but if I had, or if I caught someone doing this on my property, then yes, a sound beating would not be out of the realm of 'reasonable expectation'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
There's stupidity. And there's criminal stupidity. There's legally displaying a yard sign. And there's criminally destroying it. And let's remember that a previous sign, simply endorsing Trump for president, was vandalized as well. Three times.
I've already said that he broke the law and should be held accountable. But if the response to him committing the crime of "damage to real property" is to shoot him with a gun, or mow him down with a car, then that's different.

There's anger, and their criminal anger.

(FWIW, I f'ing loath Trump, and don't understand his supporters. Yet I'm married to one, and I love her more than life itself. I can disagree with people and still respect them, and their property.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 08:28 AM

851 posts, read 417,688 times
A problem for the Spandex Spark in both courtrooms, will be the element of premeditation on two separate occasions. A civil jury might ding him good. I'm watching ebay for carbon hoops. Cheap.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:51 AM

563 posts, read 956,051 times
Quote:
In Monday's interview with WRAL News, Kane said he has already replaced the sign, which was spray painted multiple times before it was burned. He said the old sign was burned twice, on Aug. 15 and Aug. 18.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Old 08-23-2023, 11:57 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
^These are natural consequences of his behavior, he'll reap what he sewed. I don't think many people have an issue with that.

But then you have people calling for (or at least OK with) him getting the death penalty for being stupid. And this is not even the first person in this thread to suggest it.

What is wrong with people? I'm referring to the guy who burned the sign, and all the people who are "completely OK" with someone murdering him for what he did. If he were trying to enter the home, burn the home, or somehow injure people, then self-defense is understandable, but CLEARLY these people are willing to take their vigilante justice a few levels beyond that. If stupidity was a crime, the sign would have already been taken down, and Kane locked up. NOBODY is suggesting that.

Stupidity is a crime when it comes to setting fires. Maybe it's not so bad in North Carolina, but half our damn state burns every year. The majority of the fires requiring the fire department are started by homeless being stupid.

Again, I'm not saying it should be the government goto. They should arrest the man and get him taken care of. However, if the government has decided to, on several ocassions, simply NOT maintain law and order, the landowners should have the right to eliminate the problem.

Old 08-23-2023, 12:08 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Stupidity is a crime when it comes to setting fires. Maybe it's not so bad in North Carolina, but half our damn state burns every year. The majority of the fires requiring the fire department are started by homeless being stupid.

Again, I'm not saying it should be the government goto. They should arrest the man and get him taken care of. However, if the government has decided to, on several ocassions, simply NOT maintain law and order, the landowners should have the right to eliminate the problem.
I feel like burning a sign on someone's property (not imminently threatening the person themself) probably wouldn't apply for the castle doctrine but I could be wrong on this one.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:07 PM

Personally, I'd define insanity as risking that a groggy homeowner with a sleeping family clearly understands the limitations regarding the Castle Doctrine......in order to set a political sign on fire. And going forward, I've got a feeling that this particular sign is safe as a baby. Cowards don't like it when the odds stop being in their favor. I'm guessing that they're about to find religion regarding "tolerance".

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-23-2023 at 01:37 PM..

Old 08-23-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I feel like burning a sign on someone's property (not imminently threatening the person themself) probably wouldn't apply for the castle doctrine
I agree with you. There is no reasonable fear of imminent death or bodily harm if someone touches a sign on your property.

Old 08-23-2023, 03:32 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
I agree with you. There is no reasonable fear of imminent death or bodily harm if someone touches a sign on your property.

It's all in the way you phrase it. Now we're down to touching a sign. (See how that works)

You have a stranger setting fires to things on your property. You don't know their intention. You don't know to what end. You only know that they've been vandalizing your property before and now they are setting fires to your property.

By your logic, what if they were coming up and setting a wooden cross on fire in the front yard. Didn't those people even bring their own sign? There's no imminent danger right? I mean, maybe they had come earlier and defaced some other things. Just a misdemeanor and let em go right? They're just stupid right?

Old 08-23-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
It's all in the way you phrase it. Now we're down to touching a sign. (See how that works)

You have a stranger setting fires to things on your property. You don't know their intention. You don't know to what end. You only know that they've been vandalizing your property before and now they are setting fires to your property.

By your logic, what if they were coming up and setting a wooden cross on fire in the front yard. Didn't those people even bring their own sign? There's no imminent danger right? I mean, maybe they had come earlier and defaced some other things. Just a misdemeanor and let em go right? They're just stupid right?
I think this particular case is being prosecuted appropriately. And don't underestimate the sudden turn for the worse that this moron's life will soon be taking or the stupidity that brought it about. Castle Doctrine or not, people get shot for less every day and there's simply no way to know in advance how a particular apoplectic homeowner will react to this sort of idiocy. Staying off of private property with cigarette lighters is a very good way of not finding out.

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-23-2023 at 04:29 PM..

Old 08-23-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Just a misdemeanor
According to this WRAL article, damaging or destroying a political sign is a Class 3 misdemeanor and can result in a fine, community service or jail time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary