Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 08:20 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,360,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Mr. Kane, as well as every other American, is free to seek redress for perceived harm in civil court at his own cost for representation. If a judge or jury finds his suit to be frivolous or without merit, they'll surely let him know. Hard to understand why anyone here has a problem with this. And it's not nearly free, he's represented by an attorney.
Of course he does but nobody like him ever turns down free publicity.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Lol some plants and grass below the signs were burnt up. I’m gonna go on a limb and say the same thing may have occurred here.
Maybe so. I feel comfortable leaving this up to the court system. What shall we do beyond this? Make destroying political yard signs a felony? Hard time? Chain gang?

Those were rhetorical questions. I honestly don’t care unless they come back and make political candidate yard signs illegal unless placed within 90 days of an actual election. That’s something I’d enjoy.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:26 AM

860 posts, read 431,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Of course he does but nobody like him ever turns down free publicity.
"Like him"? Meaning someone you personally disagree with? And not only isn't the publicity free, it isn't even cheap. He's retained a very expensive lawyer. I dunno, maybe he's.......right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge View Post
Well, see, there’s a legal distinction at play here: race is a protected class; idiocy is not.
Exactly. I’m shocked people don’t get this distinction. Being in favor of a particular politician is not a protected position. It’s not a hate crime to destroy a sign in favor of a candidate you don’t supoort.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
"Like him"? Meaning someone you personally disagree with? And not only isn't the publicity free, but it isn't even cheap. He's retained very expensive lawyer. I dunno, maybe he's.......right?
Public figures. Calm down. I don’t know anything about this dude otherwise. Public figures love to curry public sympathy. Also, he has that lawyer on retainer and will 100% figure out how to make it a business expense.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:33 AM

192 posts, read 102,508 times
Quote:
It's entirely common and acceptable to describe a criminal by any individual peculiarities associated with the commission of the crime. Do I need to fill these pages with examples? From a recent headline: "Jogger snatches woman's handbag". Should I be offended as a runner? Fearful of my safety?
Not many mind joggers.

As noted in my earlier post in this thread, there are some who do not care for cyclists. There are motorists who are firm in their beliefs that cyclists do not belong and when approaching cyclists will drive dangerously to "teach" cyclists a lesson.

So, based on my real world cycling experience (several countries for decades), I would argue that when cyclists are put in a negative light in the news it can incite a certain segment of the population. Kane Jr's lawyer and friends in the "media" are contributors to increased dangers cyclists face.

https://twitter.com/jlawrencenc/stat...-benny-johnson

Deranged liberal sets fire to a Trump 2024 yard sign.

Sky News Australia clip making it's rounds in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFh0TrDxgPY

I would also argue that "peculiarities" are not always used to describe criminals.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN56T View Post
Not many mind joggers.

As noted in my earlier post in this thread, there are some who do not care for cyclists. There are motorists who are firm in their beliefs that cyclists do not belong and when approaching cyclists will drive dangerously to "teach" cyclists a lesson.

So, based on my real world cycling experience (several countries for decades), I would argue that when cyclists are put in a negative light in the news it can incite a certain segment of the population. Kane Jr's lawyer and friends in the "media" are contributors to increased dangers cyclists face.

I would also argue that "peculiarities" are not always used to describe criminals.
Ridiculous. The Spandex Spark brought this all on himself. First, he's seen kicking a political sign in full cycling kit, straddling his bike, on a ride, being recorded on Strava. And later, same scenario, with a cigarette lighter, lighting the sign on fire. Twice. And you've got a problem with the media calling him a cyclist? He was absolutely a cyclist at the time of the incident and the media has every right to include the reference. Please remember that idiots are not a protected class.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:04 AM

192 posts, read 102,508 times
Quote:
Ridiculous. The Spandex Spark brought this all on himself. First, he's seen kicking a political sign in full cycling kit, straddling his bike, on a ride, being recorded on Strava. And later, same scenario, with a cigarette lighter, lighting the sign on fire. Twice. And you've got a problem with the media calling him a cyclist? He was absolutely a cyclist at the time of the incident and the media has every right to include the reference. Please remember that idiots are not a protected class.
Bold=I agree. The bloke will have his day in court.

The descriptive you continually post is childish.

My position, cyclists should be a protected class.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Not many mind joggers.

I looked for your referenced "earlier post in this thread", but couldn't find it. Peculiarities aren't always used, but many times that are. It's fair game, really as simple as that. Regarding the video you've referenced, which part of "tolerant liberal" does she have wrong?

Old 08-25-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Bold=I agree. The bloke will have his day in court.

The descriptive you continually post is childish.

My position, cyclists should be a protected class.
Your entire position is without merit. The media shouldn't be allowed to cast this cyclist in a negative light because he's a protected class? Have I got this about right? He's seen straddling a road bike in full kit vandalizing a political sign and he's.......protected.

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-25-2023 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary