Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorrell View Post
Any updates on your planting NRG?
My whole crop got wiped out by the snow a few weeks ago. I guess I was too eager and put things out too soon. Luckily I have plenty of seeds and so I started over and I sowed them directly in the soil outside two weeks ago. I have all kinds of seedlings popping up at this point (broccoli, kale, lettuce, spinach). The onions are also doing well. I have a tomato and pepper plant inside for now but will bring them outside around April 14. I also plan to pick up three blueberry bushes from Finche's Nursery later this week. Thanks for asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
My whole crop got wiped out by the snow a few weeks ago. I guess I was too eager and put things out too soon. Luckily I have plenty of seeds and so I started over and I sowed them directly in the soil outside two weeks ago. I have all kinds of seedlings popping up at this point (broccoli, kale, lettuce, spinach). The onions are also doing well. I have a tomato and pepper plant inside for now but will bring them outside around April 14. I also plan to pick up three blueberry bushes from Finche's Nursery later this week. Thanks for asking.
Oh bummer! Definitely keep us updated. This is fun to watch.

We built a raised bed last year that has 4 4x4 boxes.....so much easier than digging into our clay soil! Gives you a place to kneel, too. Still waaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to plant anything here. I'll have to wait until mid-May. I'm living vicariously through you!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:27 PM

228 posts, read 802,949 times
Inspired by bili I am also going to make a raised bed this weekend. However, many of our open spots have very little sun exposure. Could anyone recommend veggies that would grow well without 6-8 hrs of sun? (ie 1-2 per day).

Old 03-24-2009, 09:05 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,827,210 times
Great job bud! Keep us up-to-date!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:50 AM

324 posts, read 1,285,975 times
I didn't read this whole thread yet but I thought I would post. I just got my two 4x8' beds set up last weekend. I have a trellis on the 4' end of each of them (used chain-link fence posts to do this) and they are 6-7' high. I called around to find a good price on vermiculite. I found Barnes Supply in Durham has 4cuft bags for $14.99. I'm going to go pick up a couple bags today. I already have compost and peat moss, if it weren't for the rain I would fill the beds this weekend but the rain will at least help hydrate the peat moss (that stuff is a challenge!). I'm also going to run soaker hoses through the beds.

I've got a bunch of plants started indoors under a light. One cherry tomato has really taken off, one of the eggplants is also doing well, the morning glories are probably the fastest (for the mailbox). The rest are growing a bit slower but are starting to pick up some speed now. This has been really fun!

Oh I had to wrap rabbit fencing around the two beds to keep the cats out. The yard is fenced in so no actual issues with real rabbits, but I'm sure this would be the ultimate litter box to my cats.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,393 times
I wanted to pop in & thank North_Raleigh_Guy for posting that awesome how-to for the raised bed garden.

We have a small herb garden that everyone in our building helps maintain, but we'd like to try container gardening this year. There *is* a small space on the south end of the building that would be great for a raised bed though.

Solarity brings up a great point about it becoming a cat litter box! There are a gazillion feral cats (neutered) in our block that I'm sure would have a field day in a raised bed. Any tips on keeping them out greatly appreciated.

Glad to see some city growers.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:29 AM

16 posts, read 39,060 times
well this whole thread inspired me to go out and buy some various sized plastic pots, potting soil, seeds, and some small plants to start a container veggie garden. I'll have to post some pictures if they manage to survive my tender clutches.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
Thumbs up Update

Well, my veggies are still in the early stages since I had to start over a few weeks back after the snow. Now that the weather is warming up I expect the speed of plant growth will pick up somewhat. Here is what the garden looks like today...

Square foot garden

The onions are coming along nicely

Broccoli has sprouted

Some romaine lettuce seedlings

The spinach is coming along strong

Old 03-31-2009, 05:18 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,309,850 times
I see what you did there..."spinach coming along strong." Just like Popeye!

It all looks wonderful, NRG! Onions are pretty reliable every year. My chives came back strong again - this is the third year on the same plant. I leave them outside and ignore them all winter. They die back, then sprout right up in the spring.

I found some seeds for a lettuce mix at Burpee that is supposed to thrive in the heat. I hope they're right!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:07 AM

86 posts, read 344,734 times
I was wondering if I can get the untreated wood and then use a sealer on the outside to match my fence? Any potential drawbacks to doing that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary