Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:10 PM

306 posts, read 883,603 times

Advertisements

That's a great picture of the beans

needcaffeine - no, it's not too late to plant! You can still do beans and summer squash and zucchini - they all grow very fast. If you transplant peppers you will have them late, but they will still grow before the frost. Same with tomato plants. You can also plant pumpkins (seeds or plants) still, watermelon and a bunch of other stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:17 PM

206 posts, read 597,007 times
Ooh, okay! I'm going to Lowe's tonight to get more paint, etc so I should go get all the supplies needed.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 PM

306 posts, read 883,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needcaffeine View Post
Ooh, okay! I'm going to Lowe's tonight to get more paint, etc so I should go get all the supplies needed.
Have fun!!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:26 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,309,850 times
Great pictures, NRG!

We haven't had a problem with deer, despite having a large population of them in our area. However, we've had an invasion of Japanese beetles, starting today. My husband made some garlic oil spray, and we're hoping it will keep them away.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:27 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,345,072 times
NRG great garden! Dang it man your garden is good!!

My raised garden only raised expectations I'm afraid. My bright spot...the one I picked in my wooded yard was not bright enough I'm afraid. My tomato's are growing to the sky trying to get more sun. I never had tomato plants that are over 6 feet tall. Out grew my sticks and no tomato's yet. My corn is only about 2 feet and not healthy looking. My Zucchini is tini....my cantaloupe has more like loped right on out and my swish char was washed out to France I think. Wee Wee! ,,,and my radishes seem to have a rash-e-ses! I used miracle grow but the only thing to save this garden is Davine intervention grow!

I must pick another spot next year with more average direct sun. I just could not or would not cut down more of my mature trees for veggies I can get at the farmers market!

But now I am thinking my tomato plants are more like Jack and bean stock plants! I'll keep watching them grow up....I will need a ladder soon to add extension to my stick as they keep falling over. If I ever get any that are green I may rent one of those cherry pickers that will lift me up to get the red ones!

Now I know what the 5th dimension were singing about in the song, 'Let the Sunshine in".........

Old 06-22-2009, 08:54 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
I just planted another tomato plant (on sale) and some squash and cucumbers today to add to my tomatoes, peppers, parsley, basil, and oregano.

I also used the organic plant food that NRG mentioned. The big tomato was as small as the new one we planted today just a few weeks ago. They grow pretty fast!

Our green pepper doesn't take the heat/sun well and wilts quickly. It's about half the size of the red pepper. They get the same amount of water so I guess the green peppers don't like our climate as much?
Attached Thumbnails
Gardening in Raleigh ~ beat the red clay: Pictures of a raised garden bed project.-1.jpg   Gardening in Raleigh ~ beat the red clay: Pictures of a raised garden bed project.-2.jpg  

Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
^^ Lookin' good!

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
NRG-

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I'm glad you solved your first problem. Sorry about the deer. I've seen deer repellent in stores like Lowe's but I have no idea how they work.

Other than the deer prints "you have veggies". Woo hoo. I can't wait to pick "anything" from my garden. I think I am about 1 month behind you. It was a rough winter this year and I'm only a few hours NW of f you.

I actually have my first tiny green pepper this week. I came running down to the house telling my DH all about my 1 green pepper. He thinks I'm nuts, lol. I am so excited. If 1/4 of everything I planted comes in I will be happy.

Good luck woth the deer. Can you put up some t-posts and chiken wire?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
deer seem to ruin everything except a hunters weekend in the fall. I am having some success with deer repellent but have decided to bite the bullet and install expensive 7' tall deer fence for $3.00 per foot. I know that is expensive but I have had to double my expensive blood pressure meds and that will eventually cost as much as the deer fence. every morning i run outside to see what they have done. so far mostly hostas and some early blooming day lillies but i keep everyting pretty well sprayed down with different deer repellent. I would hate to have my heart set on veggies only to loose them all to deer. I grow only ornamentals since I enjoy them so much and equally enjoy going to the farmers market in carrboro for my fresh veggies and good people watching.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 PM

532 posts, read 2,846,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needcaffeine View Post
Question-- I moved into my new place just this weekend. Am I SOL for being able to plant anything this season?
You are definately not SOL! We arrived in the Triangle last June 1st but didn't get our container garden of tomatoes and herbs going until July 4th and we had plenty of tomatoes albeit well into the fall.

this year I got stuff out April 15th! We've been eating 4" diameter Celebrity tomatoes for a week now. The Sweet 100's are fantastic as well. A neighbor encouraged me to plant cukes under the tomatoes and I planted bush beans, and herbs as well. We've been eating lots of basil pesto and basil, mozzarella, proscuitto sandwiches!

I'm going to pull all my lettuce and replace them with peppers right now (they do better in this heat). You may be able to find larger plants, with fruit too, at the nursery right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary