Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:49 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
How well will bare wood framing hold up to sitting in the elements and holding wet dirt? 1 year? 10?
Very nice job. Could you have used trek or pressure treated wood? Not sure if chemicals would leak into soil. Wonder about the longevity of bare wood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 07:59 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
NRG, thanks for the info!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:12 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclass View Post
Oh wow - thanks for a great tutorial - now to get my husband to lug all that vermiculite/peatmoss and compost that is needed from the nursery - anyone have a tutorial for that ?

Speaking as a husband, sex always does the trick for me!

Nice post, OP. Now if I can just figure out how to keep the deer out...

Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
How well will bare wood framing hold up to sitting in the elements and holding wet dirt? 1 year? 10?
Good question. As others have pointed out a good rot resistant wood like cedar is best, but I had a tight budget. Since this is my first garden like this I figured I would do it on the cheap this time around to see how it works out. The wood I used only cost $12.33 total. The Cedar would have been more like $25-$30. If you have the extra cash I would get the cedar.

I would never ever use pressure treated lumber for this purpose.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 AM

19 posts, read 55,731 times
NRG, you are the man! Thanks for the great info. I'm inspired to start mine this weekend. Maybe work on the outdoor portion Sunday afternoon once the rain has ended.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:04 AM

447 posts, read 1,718,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Good question. As others have pointed out a good rot resistant wood like cedar is best, but I had a tight budget. Since this is my first garden like this I figured I would do it on the cheap this time around to see how it works out. The wood I used only cost $12.33 total. The Cedar would have been more like $25-$30. If you have the extra cash I would get the cedar.

I would never ever use pressure treated lumber for this purpose.
A few years back pressure treated lumber was "changed", it no longer contains the chemicals that will add arsenic to the mix. The stuff you buy in the store is vegetable safe. Do not use railroad ties though, those are still bad for use in gardening.

The bare wood will last for a good amount of time, but it might attract termites, so I would watch it.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:35 AM

164 posts, read 426,601 times
Treated lumber (the green wood carpenters use for decks) would be the best choice to use for the frame IMO. Awesome pics NRG.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 AM

164 posts, read 426,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
A few years back pressure treated lumber was "changed", it no longer contains the chemicals that will add arsenic to the mix. The stuff you buy in the store is vegetable safe. Do not use railroad ties though, those are still bad for use in gardening.

The bare wood will last for a good amount of time, but it might attract termites, so I would watch it.
Seconded.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:29 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
...I think drilling pilot holes to avoid splits in the wood is a good idea...
I was told to always drill pilots when screwing into wood specifically so you don't split it. Otherwise you're driving a wedge into the wood which almost always will cause a split.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:13 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,577 times
NRG - if you are on a budget, keep an eye open for the plant sale at Johnston Community College. We got some tomato plants there one year and they grew to be the tallest tomato plants I've ever seen! And the maters were delicious! Or check out a community college closer to your house.

Usually Lowe's has good plants too! Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary