Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
This thread supports my belief that many sellers are better off to move out and sell a vacant home.
It helps them let go of the commodity they are marketing.

The emotional bond with the property is still very strong when bathroom use by buyers becomes a major issue.
I think we should start offering port-a-potty's as part of our listing service. It might detract from the curb appeal, just a tad, BUT it resolves the bathroom controversy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
I haven't read all the response but if there's a chance you may sell your home to a family with small kids, get over it.

Having shown our house last year and received multiple compliments about it looking like a model home (at that time we had a 5 month old and a preschooler but managed to keep it in impeccable condition) and after looking at homes to buy most recently with those children, kids need to use a bathroom more often and more unexpectedly that adults do.

Or, we can leave in a rush, not view the rest of your home, just to find a bathroom elsewhere and not finish our tour of your home and never return.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post

I viewed many new houses. Each time the builder would place a sign on the toilet saying please don't use. Sometimes the lid is taped shut. Until now I always thought that was overkill. Surely no one is going to use the bathroom here I thought. Wrong
You're kidding right? We've toured, bought and built brand new houses and the reason why there's tape across the toilet is because the water isn't turned on or operating properly -- that is common in new developments.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:21 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Or, we can leave in a rush, not view the rest of your home, just to find a bathroom elsewhere and not finish our tour of your home and never return.
Keep this in mind.
You think somebody is just going to walk through and pay attention to your house while worrying that they're going to pee their pants...or worse?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
I wouldn't do it as a prospective buyer.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 AM

609 posts, read 2,242,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
When you view a house, do you think it's okay to use the bathroom? I still can not believe someone used my bathroom on a showing I found that to be very rude and disrespectful. It you don't like the house then simply don't buy it. Don't show your displeasure by pissing on it I ask my agent to tell showing requests that the bathrooms are not to be used. It's ridiculous people actually need to be told that.
If you found some using your toilet during an OH to be "very rude and disrespectful", I am afraid the world is going to be a very very difficult place for you.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,805,568 times
Everyone has to poop sometime, whats the big deal? lol

Some people act like they have never had to go 1 or 2 outside their own house lol Uptight ! lol

Old 07-02-2012, 08:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I wouldn't do it as a prospective buyer.
Well, I'll grant that you (and most of the rest of us) wouldn't plan to do it either.
But that isn't the question.

The question is about what is reasonable when in the course of human events it becomes necessary...

It was THIS day July 2 1776 that it all happened.
The Declaration of Independence
Everyone should read this thing at least once a year.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 AM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
It's not appropriate to use the bathroom of the house you're looking at. I had my own realtor constantly using my bathroom when she would come to do one more thing. Annoy us mostly was her job. She wouldn't flush at times and I had that job, too. What a *&^*. I had a looker ask to use my bathroom when my house was on the market. I didn't like it at all. But, they do other things, too. Step on your beige rugs w/ their shoes and never ask if you care. Move your furniture. I had 2 women in one house I was selling sit at my kitchen table and demand my CCR's--Homeowner rule book. Open your blinds and never put them back. Other things, too. It's the sellers house and you do what they want you to do. You're a guest in their house. It's not your home. It may be convenient to use the seller's bathroom, but probably most don't want you to.
How the hell would someone be able to guess that you have a weird thing about your beige rugs not being stepped on with shoes? Carpet is flooring. The floor is where you walk. With shoes on. Yes, if you've just come in from the mud or something, it would be courteous not to track it anyone's house, no matter what color their flooring is, but normally, when you see carpeting on the floor, you don't think about what color it is related to whether you can walk on it or not.

If you have a peculiarity about something, it's up to you to express it ahead of time. People can't read minds about individual idiosyncrasies.

LOL, my friend's mother had beige carpet and no one was allowed to walk on it barefoot because supposedly body oils from the feet would ruin the carpet.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
I don't think it is a big deal. What if the people (buyers) were looking at several different homes for the last few hours?, so they used the toilet....that's what it is there for.

i would never be mean to someone and not let them use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate