Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times

Advertisements

fiber cement siding. It's not as attractive as it's made out to be and the fact that it needs painting puts it on the level of lap siding for me. There are entire subdivisions being built with this stuff where in the clauses it states you can't have it the same color as your neighbor, and can't swap it out for another type of siding... I prefer quality vinyl myself. I actually find it attractive.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,357 times
Formal dining rooms and formal living rooms. Most people use them about 10 hours a year.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Mike, what are these floors. Don't know that I've every seen them.

Photos from Bing Images:
hand scraped wood flooring - Bing Images

Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM

311 posts, read 634,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I can not stand those floors at all. Almost every single new construction home we toured had those floors. They looked like cheap wavy plastic floors.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,056,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Fun thread. For my part, even if some people consider it overdone, you'll have to pull the granite out of my cold, dead hands. Love the stuff!

What I cannot stand are these cheap hydra-headed ceiling fan/lights which builders (and many homeowners) put in every single room in the house.

Mind you, fans serve a purpose here and there but it's the ugly lights (which create ugly glare) that dismay.
Love the swooshing sound of a ceiling fan and the air circulation, but not a "fan" of most of the popular brands.

Lights on fans are particularly disturbing, poor light quality, very noisy (the chain clanks against the globe or the globes ***** against each other).

Thinking about putting these in the up and coming house.
MacroAir AirStar HVLS Fan - MacroAir Fans

Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post

Thinking about putting these in the up and coming house.
MacroAir AirStar HVLS Fan - MacroAir Fans
Those are AMAZING!!! High volume, low speed, baby!!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Formal dining rooms and formal living rooms. Most people use them about 10 hours a year.
^^^^ THIS ^^^^ and Archguys point about the cheap ceiling fans with integrated lights.
Both are a waste while most other things are 'style and fashion aesthetic' in nature. While the above two things are design lifestyle living and building science specific respectively.

I think the Not So Big House concept espoused by Susan Susanka will gain more traction. It is basically designing a smaller utilitarian optimized house with quality features around how people live. Characterized by large open contiguous living spaces defined by subtle things such as sophet to delineate the dining / kitchen area, a 'quiet room' and much integrated and better use of many common dead spaces in houses with built in storage / bookcases for one example.

Thx jersey for the MacroAir link - (better living quality through building science!)

Last edited by ciceropolo; 08-28-2013 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,626,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I've had real wood floors almost all my life. I find these fake things wrinkled looking and the ones that echo when you walk....horrible. I can only think they are being tolerated by those who never knew real wood.

And I have to add a la the hamburgers joints that give you an odd end of lettuce.....who gets the good stuff?

Who gets the good wood? Some places don't even have it.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
Our Hickory floors are scraped. I love them because you cannot see the scratches caused by kids and dogs. We did choose a medium color because dark wood DOES show dirt, dust, and scratches like crazy.

I must have overhead lighting and ceiling fans. I wish there were a better way to have both, but until then I will have the not-so-cheap versions in my home. Fans/lights look pretty good but the lighting is never bright enough b/c I use a globe instead of bulbs showing.

PLEASE don't let my oil rubbed bronze go out of style. I much prefer it to brushed nickel which I find too modern. Who knows, maybe someday the gold tone will come back in style and make all the homes around here seem much more updated!

What I hope goes out of style:
- postage stamp sized back yards in new housing developments
- plastic kitchen cabinets with the "look" of nicer wood
- Carpet, all of it
- Central mailboxes for the street. What happened to the mailbox on each lot?
- Sliding glass doors

PS - I don't foresee granite being replaced by quartz. Quartz may not need as much maintenance, but it lacks that distinctive character and movement that can only be found in natural stone.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:49 PM

774 posts, read 1,694,245 times
Ceiling fans--even with integral lights--don't have to be ugly.

Most are, but they don't have to be.

Granite maintenance? I have never done a thing to my granite except keep it clean, and it's as solid and sound as the day I got it, and will be 100 years from now not to mention 1000.

I agree with you about oil-rubbed bronze. Think it's beautiful.

I forgot about wallpaper. I hope to god that never comes back.
Every house I buy is full of it and it's a chore to remove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate