Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 02:32 PM

613 posts, read 945,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I will confess to having dinner in front of the TV about twice a week, though.
I'm chuckling, b/c (I'm so old-yikes!), that I remember eating awful Swanson frozen dinners on "TV trays" in front of the TV, in the '50's & 60's. Oh, but there was the "Beverly Hillbillies" to watch, so we didn't care what kind of cr*p we ate. Even worse, we had (gasp) Avocado color appliances! (Ah, the good old days in the USA).

I do think the current obsession with "stainless" has gotten pretty nuts. Also with those very dark wood kitchen cabinets--you can't have maple, or cherry anymore? Why? Combine the really dark wood cabinets, with black granite, & a super-dark flooring........the kitchen looks like a mausoleum.....

Old 08-31-2013, 02:39 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times
Coffered ceilings (how is that spelled?).

The color green, if it is not out already.

The colors we used to call 'earth tones' in the 70s (what are they called now?) -- rust red, dark brown, wine red...

Sorry, folks, I agree about the stainless and the granite going out.

The fad I hope to see end soon: Houses designs that completely neglect site orientation -- no south windows in cool climates, too many in hot climates, black roof and green lawn in the desert, etc. It's a shame to see what could be a lovely house made horribly unpleasant to live in!

Old 08-31-2013, 03:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I'm chuckling, b/c (I'm so old-yikes!), that I remember eating awful Swanson frozen dinners on "TV trays" in front of the TV, in the '50's & 60's. Oh, but there was the "Beverly Hillbillies" to watch, so we didn't care what kind of cr*p we ate. Even worse, we had (gasp) Avocado color appliances! (Ah, the good old days in the USA).

I do think the current obsession with "stainless" has gotten pretty nuts. Also with those very dark wood kitchen cabinets--you can't have maple, or cherry anymore? Why? Combine the really dark wood cabinets, with black granite, & a super-dark flooring........the kitchen looks like a mausoleum.....
Oh how that takes me back. TV trays and dinners. Now, I honestly prefer black appliances. I was thankful when my current house had them with maple cabinets.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,659,872 times
What's the next current trend that will become dated?
Everything that is popular today.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:49 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
I was just at Home Depot and I saw a black French-door refrigerator on display. It was not the old-style black, it was smooth and glossy and VERY high-tech-looking. I could see this type of thing replacing stainless, if only because people just get tired of looking at the same thing for years on end.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:01 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Coffered ceilings (how is that spelled?).

The color green, if it is not out already.
Nope - Pantone Color of the Year 2013 - EMERALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Sorry, folks, I agree about the stainless and the granite going out.
Maybe true with the stainless, but it's primarily the appliance manufacturers that keep saying it. It's to their benefit that it goes out of style because then everyone will redo their kitchens with whatever is going to replace the SS fad. I still think this one has legs.

Granite - bad, cheap granite is and always has been awful. It couldn't die soon enough, as far as I'm concerned. But good quality slabs with perfect fabrication, especially with some of the more unusual, exotic colors, will remain popular. Especially, I think, given the push towards 'going green' and using natural materials.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
fiber cement siding. It's not as attractive as it's made out to be and the fact that it needs painting puts it on the level of lap siding for me. There are entire subdivisions being built with this stuff where in the clauses it states you can't have it the same color as your neighbor, and can't swap it out for another type of siding... I prefer quality vinyl myself. I actually find it attractive.
I totally disagree with this viewpoint. I would never want a vinyl in any way on my house. Tastes really differ, you know?

Old 09-01-2013, 08:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
I think real wood floors, though so coveted today, will become too expensive for most of us. I actually think the laminate and engineered wood will become more prevalent. If you have ever checked the offerings at HD, you will see much more faux wood than real. If you have any sort of hardwood flooring, you should take care of it because wood is a scarce commodity.

I think light colored floors are moving out, and darker floors are becoming more common. I see short shag type carpets, and more tweedy textures. I bought this trend myself. But I imagine it will run its course in a decade or so.

Wallpaper will also run its course. (So much of the stuff I remember from the 1970s when I was first married seems to be back in style. Chesterfield sofas anyone?) It goes in and out. It seems to be making a comeback, but I didn't see that much of it on the homes I looked at this past summer. But our realtor did ask us to get rid of our last bit of wallpaper when we listed our house 1 1/2 years ago. I don't know if everyone has gotten the word about wallpaper being in style yet.

I doubt stainless will ever go away, at least the way black glass appliances did. I do think more of us will put in induction ranges in preference to the electric radiants though. I think the glass radiants will finally be relegated to cheaper stoves. I assume gas will still be the preferred method of cooking for a long time.

Right now exteriors are using fake stone on homes. I think there will be a pulling away from that, even though real stone is expensive. It will be sort of like people deciding they want hardwoods. They want the real thing. So for a time anyway, I think stone as trim on homes will be more popular than it is now. The fake stuff will give the age of your home away.

I am also expecting some development in landscape materials. The ubiquitous wall blocks are useful, but ugly. Eventually someone will come up with nicer looking stuff to build raised beds and retaining walls.

The artificial wood for decks, which ages out so badly, will fall out of fashion. And one can only hope that white plastic fencing will do so as well.

Granite in the kitchen is already being replaced with quartz and other surfaces. It is expensive, and I agree that often it is too busy. Too brown. But I don't see it going completely away.

I hope old fashioned linoleum becomes less expensive and more available. I hope vinyl flooring becomes so outdated no one wants in their house! But I don't know if that will happen.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Right now exteriors are using fake stone on homes. I think there will be a pulling away from that, even though real stone is expensive. It will be sort of like people deciding they want hardwoods. They want the real thing. So for a time anyway, I think stone as trim on homes will be more popular than it is now. The fake stuff will give the age of your home away.
I agree with this. They are slapping fake stone on all new construction here in the South, and on everything from gas stations to Pizza Hut. It looks pretentious to me, plus it is not durable. There were several developers that had to go back and repair homes where water had gotten behind the fake "stone" and rotted out the walls.

Another thing I hope goes out is putting colored metal roofs on homes where it looks completely out of place, which a few people have done on their sixties/seventies/eighties style homes around here. To me, these only look right on farmhouses, old stone homes, etc.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
How about plantation shutters and blinds? They do a good job keeping the heat of my South West facing windows in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate