Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 02:57 PM

165 posts, read 329,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Mine too! We are finishing our bathroom remodel. First thing was to rip out that nasty carpet and then add a door. There's some rooms that require a door and a bathroom is one of them!

Bathrooms MUST have a door! I can't believe anyone would actually say "Hey, we don't need a bathroom door here do we?"

One thing I never understood was the tub/Jacuzzi in the master bedroom itself. Why??

Old 09-03-2013, 04:03 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makolly View Post

One thing I never understood was the tub/Jacuzzi in the master bedroom itself. Why??
SO you can have that "Poconos" feeling at home!!

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...Jacuzzi_Suites

Old 09-03-2013, 04:11 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I was just at Home Depot and I saw a black French-door refrigerator on display. It was not the old-style black, it was smooth and glossy and VERY high-tech-looking. I could see this type of thing replacing stainless, if only because people just get tired of looking at the same thing for years on end.
This will have the same issue as stainless...lots of ugly fingerprints showing on it.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Dark hardwood floors. I cringe when I see people ripping out their perfectly decent oak floors for new dark floors, because I know they're going to hate them once they see the dirt and scratches that a lighter floor often hides.

I think you need to look up the word "trend".

Again, not a trend; it's been around for decades.

Dated becomes retro! It happens all the time.

It's difficult to walk up a half flight of stairs?

Agreed. I don't want to see a messy kitchen while I'm eating dinner, or have the kitchen constantly in my face. Give me separate rooms for living, dining, and cooking.

Same with master bathrooms that are larger than any of the other bedrooms. Why on earth would you want that much bathroom space to clean? It's ridiculous.
I disagree about dark hardwood floors. The lighter ones were a trend, you know. And you don't have to rip out light colored hardwood. You have them refinished. We did that, and I love the look. (But then I am sick of light colored floors in general.)

I love the "open concept" plan, but this is not a new trend. It has been around for awhile. I don't see us going back to a formal living and dining room, or even the combination that we saw first in the 1950s Properly planned spaces don't have to give views of dirty dishes. And, diners don't generally look into the kitchen directly anyway. Especially if the food is good and the company is compatible. And you get a more spacious space to live in with open concept.

I also agree with the split level being dead probably forever. For one thing, it is hard to heat and cool different levels efficiently. It was a good look for a couple of decades, but no one builds them now.

In terms of larger master bedrooms, personal preference should rule. But the larger master has been around for decades. It is not a new trend.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 PM

121 posts, read 165,042 times
Vessel sinks on a wooden vanity tops in the bathroom. I just looked at the listing photos of a house that has apparently had a $350K renovation, it has at least 5 of the abominations.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Many people are prefering to be at home sick/dying, instead of the hospital. Many times they use a dining rooms, formal living rooms, etc. And outfit it with all the gear they need. I predict a new trend will be "hospice rooms" as the baby boomers get old. If you're going to be sick, you might as well be comfortable.
Interesting that you brought up this point -- I ran across a book a few years ago called something like "Elder Design", about how to both retrofit a house from a construction/remodel POV as well as home decor POV, to make it a more inviting, accessible space for the elderly and those with limited mobility. I don't remember much about it, but it talked about stuff like wider hallways and doorways, making sure throw rugs weren't tripping hazards, stuff you could do in the bathroom to make it easier to help someone to bathe, etc.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 AM

252 posts, read 580,859 times
Just granite. I dont think so.
Onyx slabs/tiles are getting famous now.
They look so pretty!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:57 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I disagree about dark hardwood floors. The lighter ones were a trend, you know.
For about 80 years ... Do you know what "trend" means?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,737,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Many people are prefering to be at home sick/dying, instead of the hospital. Many times they use a dining rooms, formal living rooms, etc. And outfit it with all the gear they need. I predict a new trend will be "hospice rooms" as the baby boomers get old. If you're going to be sick, you might as well be comfortable.
I agree with you.

Who wants to die in a hospital with tubes and lines connected to them?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:37 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Interesting that you brought up this point -- I ran across a book a few years ago called something like "Elder Design", about how to both retrofit a house from a construction/remodel POV as well as home decor POV, to make it a more inviting, accessible space for the elderly and those with limited mobility. I don't remember much about it, but it talked about stuff like wider hallways and doorways, making sure throw rugs weren't tripping hazards, stuff you could do in the bathroom to make it easier to help someone to bathe, etc.
My parents are downsizing and looking for a new home. They're late 60s/early 70s. One of the things they want is one story and 36" wide doors. A just in case measure. So yes, I think that actually may become a 'trend' since there are just SO many baby boomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate