Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 05:22 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
How about plantation shutters and blinds? They do a good job keeping the heat of my South West facing windows in AZ.
That's one thing I don't think will ever go "out" in warmer climates. When I moved to SoCal in 1999, they were absolutely everywhere and were "de rigeur" in high-end new construction. It's the same these days in FL. I even got them installed on my large bay window in the bedroom of my PA home -- it previously had metal MINI-BLINDS which were so awful...

Old 09-02-2013, 06:12 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Dark hardwood floors. I cringe when I see people ripping out their perfectly decent oak floors for new dark floors, because I know they're going to hate them once they see the dirt and scratches that a lighter floor often hides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Formal dining rooms and formal living rooms. Most people use them about 10 hours a year.
I think you need to look up the word "trend".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Much as I like subway tile, I could see it becoming a dated trend within the next few years.
Again, not a trend; it's been around for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
If you keep it long enough it is liable to come back in style.
Dated becomes retro! It happens all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
I can't see split-level houses making a comeback chiefly because their casual-living spaces are usually on a different level from the kitchen which makes day-to-day life more difficult.
It's difficult to walk up a half flight of stairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
I hope its the great room concept next.
Agreed. I don't want to see a messy kitchen while I'm eating dinner, or have the kitchen constantly in my face. Give me separate rooms for living, dining, and cooking.

Quote:
Master suites that are the size of a small country, but kid bedrooms that barely fit a twin sized bed. I spend very little time in my bedroom and bath, I'd rather have that square footage put to better use.
Same with master bathrooms that are larger than any of the other bedrooms. Why on earth would you want that much bathroom space to clean? It's ridiculous.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:08 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,737,381 times
Home theaters. They will almost always be dated 6-12 months after installation.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:55 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I thought of more:

"Tuscan" decor, although that seems to be already on the way out.
Caramel colored walls and white trim.
White trim in general.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I thought of more:

"Tuscan" decor, although that seems to be already on the way out.
Caramel colored walls and white trim.
White trim in general.
I can't stand those "baby poop brown" colored walls, glad they're not scratch and sniff, because they would stink.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:07 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Carpet in bathrooms. I had a house we bought in 98, new construction, w/ carpet in the bathroom. Did not like that. And, no door to bathroom off of the master bedroom. Weird to me. Rest of the house was pretty nice or we wouldn't have built it. I guess after the fact, I noticed these things.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:22 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,925,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
My parents built their "dream home" about a year ago, and there is no formal dining room at all. I don't know anyone who uses one at all, other than a couple times a year maybe.
It's so funny you say that - my childhood home and a good part of my adult life were in a split foyer where the dining room was wasted space - only used maybe 3 times a year. My first home had a huge country kitchen with a walkdown (4 steps) to the rec room. Both rooms ran across the back of the house, a deck off the kitchen, patio off the rec room. When I was in that home I swore no more dining rooms. But then came the home of necessity to raise two boys and back to the dreaded split foyer.

I am now in an early 1970's townhome, total rehab......and I love it. I use the living room, the kids are downstairs in the rec room.....but the dining room is in use! From it, the TV is easily watched (solving the TV tables).

Not trying to derail this thread, but anyone looking for a home, maybe this will help:
Other neat features of the early 70's TH, wide halls and stair cases (about 50 inches across), all bedrooms are large, cinderblock all the way around........so much so, I have to get a contractor in to hang the simplest of items with his concrete drill-bit. (Okay, I can do some of it, but really not much, it takes some real strength).....but my electric bills are sweet, because the rehab included new windows all the way around........but it's the oak floors that I drew me. It's the original hardwood (not the thin strips they use today.

I didn't deliberately seek out a 70's era TH, but if I were in the market today, that is exactly what I would search for - a remodeled older unit, before they went to the over-sized MBR and the 10 x 10 and 9 x 11 second and third bedroom, and the required 2.5 baths, and the postage stamp yard that is about 12 x 12.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,659,872 times
Many people are prefering to be at home sick/dying, instead of the hospital. Many times they use a dining rooms, formal living rooms, etc. And outfit it with all the gear they need. I predict a new trend will be "hospice rooms" as the baby boomers get old. If you're going to be sick, you might as well be comfortable.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:59 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Carpet in bathrooms. I had a house we bought in 98, new construction, w/ carpet in the bathroom. Did not like that. And, no door to bathroom off of the master bedroom. Weird to me. Rest of the house was pretty nice or we wouldn't have built it. I guess after the fact, I noticed these things.
Mine too! We are finishing our bathroom remodel. First thing was to rip out that nasty carpet and then add a door. There's some rooms that require a door and a bathroom is one of them!

Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Home theaters. They will almost always be dated 6-12 months after installation.
I agree with this. In addition to necessary equipment upgrades, rooms designed as theaters as not at all flexible and do not lend themselves to other uses.

Unless you are a diehard movie fan, they just do not get used very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate