Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just a random thought I had, but would it be a deal breaker for any of you if you found a house you like, ideal location/good price, but there was a death within the house in the past?

Some states don't even require agents/sellers to state this fact at all, while some states like California does require you to mention it (within a 3 year window).

I don't know myself, it's not like I would necessarily ask, but the thought would creep me out, especially depending on the way the person died.

When I was selling my townhouse 20 years ago, one of the buyers actually inquired if someone died in the property.

Did the Seller Die in the House? Home Buying Questions
I rented a house with a ghost in it once. Later I found out it had two ghosts.

Most good deals are estate sales. Funny when I sold my house in a FSBO I did a few tours. One buyer I got feeling was not buying anyhow I said my Dad liked it so much he wanted a hospital bed set up at home. My mom cleaning out dining room and he died right there by dining room table. That way he gets to be at all the holidays going forward.

Loved the look on the guys face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 10:18 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
Worse house that was a good deal I wanted to buy wife refused.

The house the owners only daughter died of leukemia in house at age of 7 and Mom and Dad were suing water company and over some plume under house claiming it gave her daughter cancer and killed her.

My sister lived nearby and said it was not true. Of course my pregant wife wanted no part of putting her first born in a dead kids nursery. It was all redone just 7 years earlier no painting required.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:51 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,251,693 times
As long as they removed the body before I moved in.

Seriously, only problem I would have would be how long the body was in the house before it was found. Dead body odor is terrible and hard to completely remove. So if the odor seeped into the walls, rugs, etc., a good cleaning might get the surface smell but eventually it could come back.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:29 AM

510 posts, read 500,548 times
Yeesh, does everyone live in a home built less than 10 years ago? I grew up in an old home and I know for fact several people died there (mostly old age/sickness). I just take it as a given someone croaked in the house if the home predates modern hospitals/nursing homes. Even today many people prefer dying at home as opposed to a hospital/hospice setting. I can even overlook murders since 99% of those are usually committed as the result of some stupid heat of the moment argument. I doubt karma would seek me out because I bought the house of a nasty marital affair gone wrong.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:54 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
Most houses of a certain age have had at least one person die there. If you've ever lived in a house that was old enough, chances are someone died there and you were none the wiser.

In fact, it was common for people to be waked at home back in the day. So not only is it likely that someone died there, but chances are they were waked there for a couple days.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:49 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just a random thought I had, but would it be a deal breaker for any of you if you found a house you like, ideal location/good price, but there was a death within the house in the past?

Some states don't even require agents/sellers to state this fact at all, while some states like California does require you to mention it (within a 3 year window).

I don't know myself, it's not like I would necessarily ask, but the thought would creep me out, especially depending on the way the person died.

When I was selling my townhouse 20 years ago, one of the buyers actually inquired if someone died in the property.

Did the Seller Die in the House? Home Buying Questions
If he/ she is contributed to expenses, I might be able to overlook their presence.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
As long as I don't have to look at the corpse, I'm fine with someone dying in a home. My first house a man died in the swimming pool. Didn't bother me.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:37 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I wondered the same thing. I don't feel a bit silly.
However, I do wonder why people seem to feel it necessary to come up with their own silly abbreviations, then don't understand why somebody asks "What does that mean?"
I think it is silly that people make up abbreviations. Is it really so much more difficult to type "my husband" instead of DH? If people don't have time to type a few extra letters I am amazed they have time to spend on a message board at all.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:06 PM

741 posts, read 590,629 times
If it was a violent death then no, I wouldn't want it. But we did bid on 2 houses where the owners had both died in their respective houses peacefully of old age. In the first case, we made a lower offer than the owner's adult son wanted, so he asked if we'd be willing to hold out until the end of a long holiday weekend to see if he'd get a higher offer, we said no--it would have tied up our ability to bid on something else in that time. Apparently many potential buyers were so turned off by the owner's death in the house that the son didn't get any more offers over the weekend. They called our agent and wanted to accept our lower offer, but we had already moved on by then. In the second case, the house fell out of escrow because the buyers were just too creeped out by the idea. We swooped in just in time to have our offer accepted, but the house needed too much updating for the price, so we backed out. But in both cases, the owner's death in the house didn't deter us from making an offer. It was other circumstances that prevented the deals from going through.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:55 PM

95 posts, read 94,799 times
There's a house in my neighborhood that went under contract quickly a few weeks ago. Every time I drive by it I remember the original owners were a younger couple with a child, and the husband committed suicide with a gun in the basement. I would never want to buy a house knowing that and I wonder if the new buyers have any clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate