Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 01:16 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I don't like "As Is" for regular residential properties. I can see for homes being sold/priced as tear-downs or flips. But for regular homes, it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the house

Why not just wait and see what the inspection turns up and negotiate then? Just a thought!
I've only seen as-is on probate/estate houses. Mainly because the heirs really have no idea how the property had been managed, and are unable to truthfully disclose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 01:46 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,581 times
It's always stressful to sell, but try not to take those comments personally, as they aren't intended that way. They are simply telling you why that person didn't buy. That's all. I've never taken comments personally I guess b/c when I'm shopping for a house, I make the same type of comments (yard is too small, yeah it's an acre, but if that acre is treed it won't work for me) or the rooms are too small or I don't like the view & IDK how many times, I've asked questions & been told incorrect info (that's NOT a 6 foot wooden privacy fence, that's a 4 foot chain link fence, etc). You often just don't really know, until you see the house. I've even had a woman tell me I had a "garage sale stove" (actually the realtor told me), what do I care? I didn't cook at the time, so I bought a cheap new stove that was almost never used in 5 years, it served me well. If she didn't like it, that's fine. And believe it or not, I actually sold a house to someone who DID put a full size hockey rink in the backyard LOL. That person was just being polite letting you know why they didn't buy, so you aren't left wondering.

In my experience, most of the comments you get are just that, 'here's why we didn't buy', they aren't comments of things for you to improve. Their comments are about what they were looking for, not anything you should need to do, in most cases.

As far as "as is", everything is negotiable, it's a real estate transaction. I mean, if you have the luxury of being in a market where you can control everything, great! But most people don't have that luxury & they have a need to sell their house, so they will eventually make compromises, especially after months go buy with no offer.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:20 PM

165 posts, read 145,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasters View Post
"The worst was any negative feedback. We got such odd comments like...."want a bigger yard, when our house was on a acre and they could see that on the listing." How were you getting this feedback?
In some cities, the realtors use a service that allows buyers to comment on the properties they've seen. It can be helpful, and it can also hurt your feelings a lot.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:21 PM

165 posts, read 145,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I've only seen as-is on probate/estate houses. Mainly because the heirs really have no idea how the property had been managed, and are unable to truthfully disclose.
Also common for rentals being sold. The owner has no idea what has really gone on in the house, so fair enough.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:32 PM

857 posts, read 960,315 times
I would be your ideal buyer. I just bought a property sight-unseen.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:14 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
I wouldn't totally say "won't look at contracts that don't accept as-is".

For one thing, there's the lender's inspector that may find some things.

And also if something is significant to the buyer, it may not be a big deal to the seller to repair/replace and the buyer feels like they won something. Not always "got something over on..." but just that they got something they wanted.

I was just talking with a realtor friend who says she can't count how many new smoke detectors she has bought buyers before settlement. [PS, there's that other thing...realtor/agent involvement in concessions]. Neither side likes to give on that in her experience...and she's top top agent. The seller things they are small things; the buyer thinks they are really significant things. And we're not talking anything fancy, anything hardwired. Just the 3 for whatever sale at the Home Depot.

So she buys those things, the deal is saved and everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I don't think a request to personally inspect the roof is out of line.
A lot of buyers don't trust the seller's home inspector and want to hire one of their own. So the inspection is an excellent thing for the seller though and to include that in a handout.

The roof...it would have to be a licensed, insured experienced inspector and not the buyer or a handyman. For their knowledge and also in case they fall themselves or damage the property.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
Quote:
Not if you know what you're doing. Otherwise, gutters can be damaged, shingles can be damaged -- and then you walk away, leaving the roof in worse shape than you found it.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:58 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,594,864 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 AM

628 posts, read 286,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
when someone mentions they don't like something that was clearly stated in the listing info, why did they waste my time to "kick the tires" ?
Absolutely true - our house is on the market now and we had a potential buyer look at the house who then said he wasn't interested because he wanted a 2-car garage. Ummm, yeah, it was listed as a 1-car garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate