Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 01:23 PM

59 posts, read 46,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I don't think a request to personally inspect the roof is out of line.
Tell them to get a pro to inspect. Imagine the liability---what if he falls off? What if he damages the roof? No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 05:19 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
So how does this work? Prospective buyers are welcome to do an inspection before they make their offer?

How is this good for sellers?
Yes. For two+ days each interested party brought in inspectors. The listing agent was on site but stayed at the dining room table, the most of the day. He popped out to bring lunch back, then stayed out of everyone's hair. One couple's agent couldn't make it so he let them in w/ their inspector.

No renegotiations was a huge, huge relief. No surprises. contract and done.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:56 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Yes. For two+ days each interested party brought in inspectors. The listing agent was on site but stayed at the dining room table, the most of the day. He popped out to bring lunch back, then stayed out of everyone's hair. One couple's agent couldn't make it so he let them in w/ their inspector.

No renegotiations was a huge, huge relief. No surprises. contract and done.
I guess that's one advantage to selling in a high priced and hot market like D.C

The cost of a home inspection is relatively small compared to what purchase price of home .

I wouldn't see that flying in a lower priced market though .
People buying in these high priced markets like D.C , NYC , L.A etc are likely very high income or already wealthy .

Old 07-14-2017, 08:10 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I guess that's one advantage to selling in a high priced and hot market like D.C

The cost of a home inspection is relatively small compared to what purchase price of home .

I wouldn't see that flying in a lower priced market though .
People buying in these high priced markets like D.C , NYC , L.A etc are likely very high income or already wealthy .
Wealthy is relative. I've worked with doctors making great money, but paying dearly for lifestyle.

The home's sales price was under 500K. My son works IT and his wife is a teacher, bottom feeders on wealth status. Their buyer was a single woman, a lawyer just starting out. Median income is 118K for that profession She likely had significant loans if she was just out of school. Is it higher than the home in Idaho or rural Alabama? Sure, but it's not the 800K I think you were envisioning.

I think it had more to do with the market and the agent seizing control starting at the presentation. He knew his market, was within 2K of the final price, which was well above list price. But more importantly, this agent was far from the only agent selling this way, not one agent protested.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:14 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:
Wealthy is relative. I've worked with doctors making great money, but paying dearly for lifestyle.

The home's sales price was under 500K. My son works IT and his wife is a teacher, bottom feeders on wealth status. Their buyer was a single woman, a lawyer just starting out. Median income is 118K for that profession She likely had significant loans if she was just out of school. Is it higher than the home in Idaho or rural Alabama? Sure, but it's not the 800K I think you were envisioning.

I think it had more to do with the market and the agent seizing control starting at the presentation. He knew his market, was within 2K of the final price, which was well above list price. But more importantly, this agent was far from the only agent selling this way, not one agent protested.
Yes the doctors or lawyers making great money but spending it all on lifestyle reminds me of Millionaire Next Door
The Millionaire Next Door

I don't know if having a high paying job can really be considered wealthy .
I'd view wealthy as more having assets that produce income that one can live off passively or mostly passively
Income from Real estate , stocks etc

Last edited by jm1982; 07-14-2017 at 11:28 PM..

Old 07-14-2017, 11:28 PM

68 posts, read 90,169 times
Hi Countrysue,
I can understand your feelings about selling a home, where we live from 20 years.
Good luck to you.
Thanks!!

Old 07-18-2017, 09:35 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,277,779 times
Water inspection passed; septic system inspection passed. Now, the bank wants to inspect before approving the loan. Then, the buyer wants to do a walkthrough right before closing.

I will be glad to get this over.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:18 AM

344 posts, read 336,648 times
Quote:

This is neither here nor there, but using median salary for a lawyer is less than useless. The thing about law that most people don't learn until they are 1Ls is that there is a nasty, nasty bimodial salary distribution chart for lawyer salaries for new and recent grads. Essentially, most new lawyers either make between 40-65k a year, or 160k. There is very, very little in between. Only a handful of new lawyers will make 118k a year starting out.

Here is an article that goes into more depth:
Now That There Aren’t As Many Law Students, Hiring Has Stabilized (NALP 2016) | Above the Law

Old 07-18-2017, 09:31 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,837,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I hope I never need to sell another house. It's a pain. It's just me now, kids are grown and gone, husband is dead. Cleaning out 30 years accumulation of stuff was bad enough; selling the house itself is such a pain. Salvation Army made 2 pick ups. How did we end up with so much furniture?

My home inspection was completed today. I left. I didn't want to be there when 3 perfect strangers went thru my house examining it minutely to determine how much it is worth.

The first day it was listed, I had 6 people come thru. I had already removed valuables, put jewelry and such in the trunk of the car. Just a precaution. Then, I made sure I wasn't there. I really didn't want to hear negative comments about a home that had such wonderful memories for me. Since then, there has been a steady stream of people. At least one person each day. Each time, I left. I think I have read all the magazines at our branch of the library!

And, oh my goodness, the paperwork. One page of nothing but questions about any defects. I don't know if there is a cavity under my slab (I can't exactly lift it and look!). I don't know if my footings are still level. Termites . . . that I could answer. I have always had a termite service. The pages that did not require a signature required an initial.

Then were was the well inspection and testing; then septic system inspection. I have accepted an offer and I hope that this is it.

Get ready kids - Mom is coming for a visit. . . . to each of you. I expect you to wine, dine and entertain me to help me get over this trauma.
There is a "Don't Know" check box for each question.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:49 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,594,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Water inspection passed; septic system inspection passed. Now, the bank wants to inspect before approving the loan. Then, the buyer wants to do a walkthrough right before closing.

I will be glad to get this over.
I have never had a bank inspect a house I was selling. The buyers ponied up for an inspection, but not the lender. I imagine they go off the appraisal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate