Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:56 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
Absolutely true - our house is on the market now and we had a potential buyer look at the house who then said he wasn't interested because he wanted a 2-car garage. Ummm, yeah, it was listed as a 1-car garage.
Often, realtors try to shoehorn, because no house ever ticks off all the boxes...so he could have told your prospective buyer that there was room to add a second garage bay... and then, there were other things, and that was the out. Although, I don't understand why just telling an agent this house is not what I want as a reason if he needs a reason to fill in a questionnaire, and then tell the agent the specifics, so the agent can get a better idea of what to look for criteria wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 03:58 PM

613 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Often, realtors try to shoehorn, because no house ever ticks off all the boxes...so he could have told your prospective buyer that there was room to add a second garage bay... and then, there were other things, and that was the out. Although, I don't understand why just telling an agent this house is not what I want as a reason if he needs a reason to fill in a questionnaire, and then tell the agent the specifics, so the agent can get a better idea of what to look for criteria wise.
If an agent (the listing agent?) is pressuring everyone who sees the house to "give a reason" why they don't want the house, well first, that's a big turn-off to me. And people may just say something just to get out of there. I had an agent at an Open House once attempt to grill me when I was leaving, going on & on about what I thought about it. When I answered in vague terms, like that I thought it was "nice", or "nice updates", she just wouldn't let it go.

I had other properties to see. And I thought; "you're the agent, lady, shouldn't you know the pros & cons of the property? I shouldn't have to justify for 20 minutes why I don't want it. One thing knew, I didn't want to have to deal with her.

BTW, I think this is something that some listing agents do to placate the seller.......sensible sellers & good agents should know the pros & cons of the property.....

Old 07-12-2017, 04:23 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
For me, selling is not as much of a pain as MOVING. I would rather take a beating than move again!

Old 07-13-2017, 11:09 AM

229 posts, read 240,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
Absolutely true - our house is on the market now and we had a potential buyer look at the house who then said he wasn't interested because he wanted a 2-car garage. Ummm, yeah, it was listed as a 1-car garage.
We had a realtor come in to "convert" our for sale by owner to a listing. He was showing comps for our house on his phone and we said we were the closest to and gave him an address. He said "oh, but they have a garage." I said "We have two". He looked really confused and said where are they. They showed in our main lead in picture in our ads. We took the picture to be sure to include both garages.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:16 AM

628 posts, read 286,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
For me, selling is not as much of a pain as MOVING. I would rather take a beating than move again!

Lol but moving FOLLOWS selling - so it's a double whammy

Old 07-14-2017, 07:06 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
In the District of Columbia it is not uncommon for the listing agents to refuse to take any offers to their seller with an inspection contingency (or any for that matter). They want the perspective buyer to make an offer knowing all of the warts. It makes sense....when my son sold in DC, they had more than 3 interested parties, they made sure anyone that made it to the finish line got their inspection in. I say more than three parties only because a couple dropped out due to inspection - they had 3 offers to consider in the end. (Not sure what they expected for a 80+ year old home).

No renegotiating the price, no surprises. I had never heard of their real estate company (and I see Realtor and company names all day), but I was impressed with their Realtor taking control of the transaction. (Company was Compass). No one blinked at the "no contingencies" - I guess in a super hot market the sellers really have an upper hand - this Realtor pushed it to a new height.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:07 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
In the District of Columbia it is not uncommon for the listing agents to refuse to take any offers to their seller with an inspection contingency (or any for that matter). They want the perspective buyer to make an offer knowing all of the warts. It makes sense....when my son sold in DC, they had more than 3 interested parties, they made sure anyone that made it to the finish line got their inspection in. I say more than three parties only because a couple dropped out due to inspection - they had 3 offers to consider in the end. (Not sure what they expected for a 80+ year old home).

No renegotiating the price, no surprises. I had never heard of their real estate company (and I see Realtor and company names all day), but I was impressed with their Realtor taking control of the transaction. (Company was Compass). No one blinked at the "no contingencies" - I guess in a super hot market the sellers really have an upper hand - this Realtor pushed it to a new height.
So how does this work? Prospective buyers are welcome to do an inspection before they make their offer?

How is this good for sellers?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:26 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,277,779 times
Here in Louisiana, buyers can make an offer that can be negotiated after an inspection report. This buyer checked 'as is', then wanted to renegotiate!

All inspections are complete. Waiting for the buyer to see if he can get financing.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:39 AM

628 posts, read 286,675 times
Keeping fingers crossed for you!!

Old 07-14-2017, 11:19 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
So how does this work? Prospective buyers are welcome to do an inspection before they make their offer?

How is this good for sellers?
One thing my listing agent did was a pre listing inspection .
He paid for it to be done .
He stated that it would give us a better edge in negotiation since everything was up front .
The buyer still had an inspection period and I was worried the whole time they would come up with something to ask for a discount .. but it turned out they didn't even end up doing their own inspection .
I guess they figured why spend the money .

The thing is I'm not sure if the agent gave the inspection report to them right before they made the offer or after the offer.
There were multiple offers and it went under contract quickly so I was glad about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate