Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:05 AM

199 posts, read 184,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe View Post
Our agent had a app where the potential buyers could leave remarks about the house. This is in Illinois where most shoppers do leave feedback for the sellers.

We got a lot of

Nice home, too small
Nice home, too big
Nice home, get rid of swing set if I buy
Nice home, yard too small
Nice Home, yard too big

I don't think I would pay any attention to that type of information. It's not relevant to selling the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 01:12 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I didn't realize that potential buyers would bring that many family and friends with them. Since there is only 1 realtor riding herd, I decided to move anything valuable to a storage unit.

Got the septic system inspected, waiting for report. Well to be test Thursday. The realtor said these things are normally done shortly before closing. I want them done now so I can fix anything that needs fixing.

Had a buyer want to walk on my roof to inspect it. Told him he would need to make do with the home inspection report.

Home inspection listed a bunch of minor things, so I am having those fixed even tho I am selling the house as is. I am not repainting; I am not landscaping; I am not paying to hook up cable; I am not taking down my chain link fence and putting up a wooden privacy fence. None of these things would make the home unlivable, so the buyer can handle it. Personally, I don't regard landscaping the yard as a major defect, but one buyer requested it. I am not going to resod, plant trees, or create planting beds.

The buyer who made a bid sent me a list of things he wanted fixed. I asked the realtor what part of 'as is' he didn't understand. Declined to make any of his requested changes.

Oh, well, let's see what this week brings.
I think you should hang in there. You have done all the hard prep work imo....Try to stay focused on not being dragged into the counter-offer game. You said "as is" stand firm. Move on to the next offer....What happens is other realtors sometimes discourage interested clients because they say....oh, it has an offer. Make sure you are not stuck in a situation like that.....put time limits on offers, or flat out turn them down.

The list, nit-picking is an effort to get you to reduce your price....too early imo for you to do that.....especially an as in price. It sounds to me like you are making sure by having inspections done now......that you know what's up.....Potential buyers will need to pay for their own inspections if they don't accept yours.

You are/have gone through a lot, doing it alone would be very hard. But you sound like you are on it. It's the emotional stuff that you're dealing with now.

Our neighbors are selling their beautiful 3 story Victorian (with turret) that they have lived in for 30+ years. They have been re-roofing house and garage, redoing both entrance steps....probably going to repaint again....They are like us, older and ready for a smaller home with less maintenance.

It breaks my heart to see all the efforts that they are putting in because they could have sold top dollar imo already. Totally gorgeous. All the original woodwork she redid 25 years ago....beautiful mahogany staircase and pillars.

Our home will be tougher to sell, 3 story craftsman bungalow...needs more updates, wood work was painted years before we bought it. We are seriously thinking retirement in 2 years so we are actually starting downsizing now. Tons of work.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Quote:
I didn't realize that potential buyers would bring that many family and friends with them. Since there is only 1 realtor riding herd, I decided to move anything valuable to a storage unit.

Got the septic system inspected, waiting for report. Well to be test Thursday. The realtor said these things are normally done shortly before closing. I want them done now so I can fix anything that needs fixing.

Had a buyer want to walk on my roof to inspect it. Told him he would need to make do with the home inspection report.

Home inspection listed a bunch of minor things, so I am having those fixed even tho I am selling the house as is. I am not repainting; I am not landscaping; I am not paying to hook up cable; I am not taking down my chain link fence and putting up a wooden privacy fence. None of these things would make the home unlivable, so the buyer can handle it. Personally, I don't regard landscaping the yard as a major defect, but one buyer requested it. I am not going to resod, plant trees, or create planting beds.

The buyer who made a bid sent me a list of things he wanted fixed. I asked the realtor what part of 'as is' he didn't understand. Declined to make any of his requested changes.

Oh, well, let's see what this week brings.
"as is" is just another item to negotiate.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
"As is" is a strange duck. Sellers who are selling "as is" are often confused on their pricing -- if they have a 40 year old house and their idea of maintenance is a new light bulb, then their asking price better reflect the "as is" nature of the house. But nooo . . . the house three doors down got $600,000! WE want $600,000! But the house down the street had a renovated kitchen, finished basement, updated baths, and hardwoods throughout. You have 30 year old skanky carpet, a formica kitchen and original GE appliances from 1978. Sorry, but you don't get $600,000.

And sometimes the seller is broke and has no money for repairs. That's why they are selling in the first place.

One of the things we include with adamant "as is" sellers is a counteroffer that states that the house is being sold "as is" and the due diligence period is for buyers' informational purposes only. When you have a sellers disclosure that indicates roof issues, foundation issues and the age of the appliances is readily apparent, then the offer should have been priced accordingly. It helps to put that in the contract up front, to set expectations.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:43 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
when someone mentions they don't like something that was clearly stated in the listing info, why did they waste my time to "kick the tires" ?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:50 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
I don't like "As Is" for regular residential properties. I can see for homes being sold/priced as tear-downs or flips. But for regular homes, it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the house

Why not just wait and see what the inspection turns up and negotiate then? Just a thought!

Old 07-11-2017, 10:58 AM

1,086 posts, read 1,275,428 times
If I ever need to sell another house, I will pay for the house inspection. It pointed out a number of defects that I didn't know about.

I will need a new aerator for my septic system. Glad I found that out before the act of sale! The buyer who had made the bid, then gave me a list of repairs, has backed out when I told him 'as is' means 'as is'.

Once I have repaired the things I feel need repair, we will re-evaluate the price and put it back out on the market.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:07 AM

49 posts, read 50,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
when someone mentions they don't like something that was clearly stated in the listing info, why did they waste my time to "kick the tires" ?
Right?! We're currently selling our home and our lot backs up to a busy road. Our agent put that information in the listing yet we consistently get feedback complaining about the road. It's frustrating to accommodate showings with kids and a dog knowing the buyers will complain about something clearly disclosed in the listing. If I saw a home next to a toxic waste dump, I wouldn't waste the seller's time because I know I don't want to live next to that. Our home is technically already sold because we're moving with relo benefits but it's still a pain to have showing after showing with people complaining about the obvious.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:18 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I don't think a request to personally inspect the roof is out of line.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:50 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
One thing to keep in mind. Anytime you are selling anything people will make annoying comments. Whether it's a house, a car, etc.
It makes sense that a lot of people will be picky or careful with a home purchase though since it's the largest purchase many people will make.
It's still annoying though. But this is one reason I'm glad I had an agent to handle that stuff and not living in the house meant I didn't have to see anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate