Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 07:57 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What an elected official can do is let the pool open and have the pump replacement done in October, after the season. Other people I have talked to says he really does not want things to open. He had to be dragged kicking and screaming to open the outdoor tennis courts and clubhouse, and still won't allow setup of outdoor furniture for clubhouse deck. Given what I know of his politics I am not surprised. He is a school teacher and really didn't want his city's public schools to reopen for in-person learning.

Elected officials can waive local health code at their whim? Doesn't sound like a city/town/county/whatever that I'd want to live in. You sure about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 07:59 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Open the amenities. If someone is concerned about covid they can simply choose to not use the facilities.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:02 AM

4,621 posts, read 7,547,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Ask how you can help get the pool opened, and then do it.
Sounds like an excellent idea.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:22 AM

6,486 posts, read 10,363,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Open the amenities. If someone is concerned about covid they can simply choose to not use the facilities.
I have to respectfully disagree with that suggestion. If it were a private pool, no issue but not when it is a shared amenity. I would prefer to err on the side of caution and it appears the HOA in this thread is too.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:02 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Elected officials can waive local health code at their whim? Doesn't sound like a city/town/county/whatever that I'd want to live in. You sure about that?
I skipped a sentence. An elected official can pressure the departments. After all the DOH is supposed to be working for the people, not themselves.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:10 AM

738 posts, read 766,445 times
If it's a fairly large county then the person doing pool inspections and operating is going to be a mid level or low level bureaucrat. Everybody built pools last year so parts are in short supply. If it was a required upgrade it's probably a state law issue and it was most likely a safety upgrade. Delaying a safety upgrade creates liability especially if you know about the issue and choose to open anyway. There are strong changes in liability from the difference in not knowing about a problem and knowing about it, not fixing it, and operating anyway. In other words that's the circumstances when organizational liability of a low level can become personal liability of a high level. Getting a "waiver" is a dead to rights loss in a personal injury case and may even void the insurance coverage from paying damages. That's the real estate management issue.

The county official's response sounds more like "I haven't had anything to do with this thus far so if you are angry don't be at me" than "he's lying". It's a common elected official response since it allows them to take responsibility for fixing the problem without taking responsibility for what has or has not happened so far.

Given it's an HOA it might also be impossible to compel members to get vaccinated to use the facilities. At this point you'd be banning all children since they can't be vaccinated yet. Even if you could by rule making that means getting 250 people to turn in their vaccine cards and enforcing it.

I think this is a honey catches more flies issue and volunteering to help solve the problem would give you more information and get it done faster. Being in property management myself I know last year due to closures or people not coming in or people trying to save money in tight times lots of maintenance didn't get done, lots of parts didn't get made, etc. So there is now a year backlog of work to be done. There might be a faction in the HOA who had hard economic times and is lobbying for saving money until they can recover.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:52 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
What an elected official can do is let the pool open and have the pump replacement done in October, after the season. Other people I have talked to says he really does not want things to open. He had to be dragged kicking and screaming to open the outdoor tennis courts and clubhouse, and still won't allow setup of outdoor furniture for clubhouse deck. Given what I know of his politics I am not surprised. He is a school teacher and really didn't want his city's public schools to reopen for in-person learning.

You expect an elected official to override a safety issue? And leave a paper trail while they're at it? Be glad you have halfway smart elected officials. Or are you merely expecting them to pressure the inspections department to put your development at the head of the line? Quid pro quo? What's in it for them???

Again, how the president of your HOA has so much power to make a decision like this on their own is the real issue here.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
I think this is a honey catches more flies issue and volunteering to help solve the problem would give you more information and get it done faster. Being in property management myself I know last year due to closures or people not coming in or people trying to save money in tight times lots of maintenance didn't get done, lots of parts didn't get made, etc. So there is now a year backlog of work to be done. There might be a faction in the HOA who had hard economic times and is lobbying for saving money until they can recover.
I did offer to help. The HOA head asked me and others to stand down and let our elected legislator make things happen. I sure hope she does.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Ask how you can help get the pool opened, and then do it.
That might be the best sentence I've read all year.
I forgot to add this to my earlier response. I did offer and he was not interested. That's one of the things that leads me to believe that there is little interest in getting the pool open.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:26 PM

6,486 posts, read 10,363,068 times
Quote:
I forgot to add this to my earlier response. I did offer and he was not interested. That's one of the things that leads me to believe that there is little interest in getting the pool open.
Keep in mind that he may have information from the governing bodies that you are unaware of that prevents them from re-opening the pool at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate