Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 04:50 AM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The group is much better then the page because you can keep it private so no one else knows what you're discussing. We have a public FB page too, but the meat gets posted in the private group.
Oh, ours is private. Not secret but private. We expelled someone after he got a divorce and moved out of the HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 05:26 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Let me start out by saying that I personally like the President of our HOA. I am very disappointed in the "reopening" of amenities and want recommendations, or to be told I am unrealistic.

Our HOA had a pool, clubhouse with gym in basement, and tennis courts. All were closed in march 2020, along with the civilized world. The tennis courts reopened in late May 2020 and that is not an issue. The pool reopened on July 10 rather than the scheduled Memorial Day weekend. Again, nothing out of the ordinary in pandemic-wracked 2020. The rules under which it reopened were a bit strict but they loosened as the summer progressed.

This latest spring is another story. First, the good news. The clubhouse reopened, but significantly not the gym. The excuse is insufficient ventilation. That to me could be solved by requiring all users to be vaccinated for Covid and requiring all users to sign a waiver form that is applicable to the pool, tennis courts and clubhouse. The HOA president, it seems, simply doesn't want to.

As for the pool, here is where the real falldown is occurring. In early May 2021 all homeowners received a detailed but vaguely worded email from the HOA board that they were "disappointed" that they were still waiting for a part for the pump that our County was allegedly requiring and it was on "backorder" without a date set. Last week, I think on Tuesday, we received an email repeating the "backorder" excuse, and complaining about the County Department of Health's (DOH) unresponsiveness. It said that they had been "in touch with our elected officials." I promptly forwarded this "dog ate my homework" email to our County Legislator. She wrote my back on Friday saying that the first communication was initiated by her to the HOA in response to my email. In other words,the statement that they were working with elected officials was not accurate.

Should I take any steps? Or should I conclude that the HOA management had "pandemic fatigue" and is just not interested in providing entertainment and recreation for the summer? Am I asking too much?
I live in an HOA and we have very difficult discussions with the community regarding the very same issue. In as much as there is no precedent for this, the legal opinions are all over the place. We have reopened all now with waivers signed. Now, as a former board person I will ask you. What "steps" are you considering? You do understand that if you are sued it will come out of your pocket right? Relax, the pool will be opened soon and all will be well with the world. Geez, this is really not as big a deal as you are making it. Is it frustrating, yep, is it ridiculous, possibly, but the truth be told the courts are the only ones that can resolve issue like this and that will cost all a pretty penny. Stop being a child, the ocean waters are not even warm enough to swim in for most.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:05 AM

557 posts, read 297,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Relax, the pool will be opened soon and all will be well with the world. Geez, this is really not as big a deal as you are making it. Is it frustrating, yep, is it ridiculous, possibly, but the truth be told the courts are the only ones that can resolve issue like this and that will cost all a pretty penny. Stop being a child, the ocean waters are not even warm enough to swim in for most.
^^This! It is people that are feeling the pandemic fatigue not HOA boards. The HOA is just being conservative in an environment with no precedents. More and more is opening every day.

I appreciate what we had available each day because if a virus variant gets discovered that the vaccines cannot control, we will see shutdowns being instituted again.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:44 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Quote:
I live in an HOA and we have very difficult discussions with the community regarding the very same issue. In as much as there is no precedent for this, the legal opinions are all over the place. We have reopened all now with waivers signed. Now, as a former board person I will ask you. What "steps" are you considering? You do understand that if you are sued it will come out of your pocket right? Relax, the pool will be opened soon and all will be well with the world. Geez, this is really not as big a deal as you are making it. Is it frustrating, yep, is it ridiculous, possibly, but the truth be told the courts are the only ones that can resolve issue like this and that will cost all a pretty penny. Stop being a child, the ocean waters are not even warm enough to swim in for most.
My husband is a condo property manager and he's run into constant frustrations with the residents throughout this entire pandemic because they're entitled and expect what they want, when they want it, with no regard to government decrees or directions from local health units. There are parts shortages, labour shortages, scheduling and availability issues.

When the gym was reopening, it was under strict rules that machines had to be six feet apart, they had to put distance markers on the floor, capacity was restricted to 10. Instead of being grateful to be able to use the facilities at all, they were angry about the rules, and on the weekend started moving the machines around themselves. It's his licence that's on the line if the rules are not adhered to.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:41 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
As a BOD Member I would be on the conservative side when it comes to opening amenities as some Ahole owner could make for legal trouble.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:03 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
My husband is a condo property manager and he's run into constant frustrations with the residents throughout this entire pandemic because they're entitled and expect what they want, when they want it, with no regard to government decrees or directions from local health units. There are parts shortages, labour shortages, scheduling and availability issues.

When the gym was reopening, it was under strict rules that machines had to be six feet apart, they had to put distance markers on the floor, capacity was restricted to 10. Instead of being grateful to be able to use the facilities at all, they were angry about the rules, and on the weekend started moving the machines around themselves. It's his licence that's on the line if the rules are not adhered to.
Well, I agree with the frustrations point but not the entitled portion. Even in my community and we have 2 pools a tennis court and pickle ball court, clubhouse and gym, as a community member I am paying a nice piece of change to enjoy the amenities we have and for the better part of a year and change we were locked out of the amenities that we were paying for. Entitled, as you used it, suggests a certain attitude, when in fact, they are entitled to use what they pay for. The key to the whole thing was if we allowed the amenities to be used we would have been in violation of the state mandates for facilities. That fact supersedes all. We, here, are currently still under emergency restrictions to some degree here but they will be lifted within the next 2 weeks.

This has been a very difficult time to serve on a board. There are no guidelines for this, did they make them up as they went along - maybe - maybe not, but the fact remains that each state dealt with the questions in their own way and as such, in order to protect and entire community from potential lawsuits that even if they "won" (what ever that means), would prove to be a financial burden on the community.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:15 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Quote:
Well, I agree with the frustrations point but not the entitled portion. Even in my community and we have 2 pools a tennis court and pickle ball court, clubhouse and gym, as a community member I am paying a nice piece of change to enjoy the amenities we have and for the better part of a year and change we were locked out of the amenities that we were paying for. Entitled, as you used it, suggests a certain attitude, when in fact, they are entitled to use what they pay for. The key to the whole thing was if we allowed the amenities to be used we would have been in violation of the state mandates for facilities. That fact supersedes all. We, here, are currently still under emergency restrictions to some degree here but they will be lifted within the next 2 weeks.

This has been a very difficult time to serve on a board. There are no guidelines for this, did they make them up as they went along - maybe - maybe not, but the fact remains that each state dealt with the questions in their own way and as such, in order to protect and entire community from potential lawsuits that even if they "won" (what ever that means), would prove to be a financial burden on the community.
I was using entitled in the sense many of the residents believe they deserve whatever they want whenever they want it, and the condo manager needs to hop to their demands, regardless of the rules in place. Legislation has to be followed and whatever health rules have been put in place because of the pandemic aren't going to be overridden because it doesn't suit someone's wants. Every day it's a disagreement with someone about what they want to do versus what the govt and public health are allowing. He shouldn't have to be having this conversation daily after 15 months.

Restrictions are slowly easing in our area as well, but for some, it's never enough. Sorry you can't swim yet, you're just going to have to wait until the pool is in working order and public health allows for swimming.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:21 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,025,639 times
I wonder if any HOAs are able to or tired to reduce fees while amenities were curtailed.

Old 06-15-2021, 02:06 PM

557 posts, read 297,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I wonder if any HOAs are able to or tired to reduce fees while amenities were curtailed.
While amenities have been curtailed, the 'majority' of the costs for many HOAs are fixed so I am assuming that most HOA P&L statements will not show significant excess cash. If there is excess cash, most HOA guidelines provide for how to handle them. By definition, non-profits cannot make a profit.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:44 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Oh, ours is private. Not secret but private. We expelled someone after he got a divorce and moved out of the HOA.

If you have a Facebook page, the only option is public. If it is private, that means you probably already have a group, not a page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate