Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 02:55 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Let me start out by saying that I personally like the President of our HOA. I am very disappointed in the "reopening" of amenities and want recommendations, or to be told I am unrealistic.

Our HOA had a pool, clubhouse with gym in basement, and tennis courts. All were closed in march 2020, along with the civilized world. The tennis courts reopened in late May 2020 and that is not an issue. The pool reopened on July 10 rather than the scheduled Memorial Day weekend. Again, nothing out of the ordinary in pandemic-wracked 2020. The rules under which it reopened were a bit strict but they loosened as the summer progressed.

This latest spring is another story. First, the good news. The clubhouse reopened, but significantly not the gym. The excuse is insufficient ventilation. That to me could be solved by requiring all users to be vaccinated for Covid and requiring all users to sign a waiver form that is applicable to the pool, tennis courts and clubhouse. The HOA president, it seems, simply doesn't want to.

As for the pool, here is where the real falldown is occurring. In early May 2021 all homeowners received a detailed but vaguely worded email from the HOA board that they were "disappointed" that they were still waiting for a part for the pump that our County was allegedly requiring and it was on "backorder" without a date set. Last week, I think on Tuesday, we received an email repeating the "backorder" excuse, and complaining about the County Department of Health's (DOH) unresponsiveness. It said that they had been "in touch with our elected officials." I promptly forwarded this "dog ate my homework" email to our County Legislator. She wrote my back on Friday saying that the first communication was initiated by her to the HOA in response to my email. In other words,the statement that they were working with elected officials was not accurate.

Should I take any steps? Or should I conclude that the HOA management had "pandemic fatigue" and is just not interested in providing entertainment and recreation for the summer? Am I asking too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 06:33 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
I think you are being too critical of the HOA over these issues. They are trying to limit their potential liability in the case of the gym and the pool situation sounds like it is completely out of their control.

Last summer, my central air handler died and I had to go without air conditioning during the hottest time of year while waiting for an out of stock air handler. I don't think there are any "steps" you can or should take outside of making your voice heard with your board.

IMHO: You need to accept the limitations during the current Pandemic. There are multiple car companies with hundreds, if not thousands of vehicles sitting in giant parking lots due to lack of microchips from overseas manufacturers and personal computer manufacturers unable to obtain certain components. This is not an issue with just your HOA.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:06 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,020 times
Our pools are fully opened..what city are you in. It’s ridiculous they can’t open the pools, even if they cut how many are allowed at a time. I would send email to HOA president with the coy of legislatiors email.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
Our pools are fully opened..what city are you in. It’s ridiculous they can’t open the pools, even if they cut how many are allowed at a time. I would send email to HOA president with the coy of legislatiors email.
We Facebook messaged. Basically I caught him in a lie and don't know how caustic I want to be about the matter.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:17 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
I don't know how big your county is, but I'd be cautious about jumping to the conclusion that he lied based on one convo with one county representative. It's not crazy to think that a county govt org might not have the best internal communications.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:23 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I don't know how big your county is, but I'd be cautious about jumping to the conclusion that he lied based on one convo with one county representative. It's not crazy to think that a county govt org might not have the best internal communications.
Or that there's more than ONE "elected official" to talk to?

Old 06-13-2021, 09:30 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yeah that's what I meant; I wasn't clear.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:54 AM

5,988 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
I believe that the OP stated that the pool was not open due to not having a pump(s) that worked. You can't use something that isn't operable.

I think the OP's best solution is to simply run for President of the Board next time and then he/she could solve all these problems himself. I'm sure it would be easy.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I believe that the OP stated that the pool was not open due to not having a pump(s) that worked. You can't use something that isn't operable.

I think the OP's best solution is to simply run for President of the Board next time and then he/she could solve all these problems himself. I'm sure it would be easy.
The pump is perfectly operable. It doesn't meet some upgraded hypertechnical standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It's a moderately large county in the New York area. It was pretty obvious from the context what "elected official" he was referring to. His excuse when I talked to him over Facebook is that the memo went out prematurely before he had a chance to contact the legislator, since that was his birthday. I have since learned from one of his friends in the neighborhood that he basically doesn't want to open the pool and gym. The reason part of my OP subject line is "am I asking too much" is whether it's too much to expect of a volunteer. I happen to think we worked his arse off last summer to get it open, spent a year teaching in school under pandemic conditions and is exhausted. On the other hand, I want the pool.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:05 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Ask how you can help get the pool opened, and then do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate