Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 02:26 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,266,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I've been told that you can't sell a house where the place to install a dishwasher exists but is left empty and that it's not like a fridge or a washer and dryer, where you can have the hook ups in place, but you can sell without the actual appliance.

So assuming what I was told is correct, it means if there is no dishwasher, the space to put one along with the plumbing and the electrical wiring, doesn't exist. In that case, it's not just spending whatever amount on buying a dishwasher, it's paying to remodel the kitchen to have room, the plumbing, and the electrical in place to install one. So yes, I would not choose to have to do that kind of work in a house unless I was already planning on doing a kitchen remodel.
Fair enough, I read your post as a place simply not having the dishwasher in place vs not having a place for the dishwasher. You'd be correct that often if a dishwasher was never there, there isn't the accompanying support for one, though I've seen several contemporary houses that do have the necessary things in place behind the cabinetry (interestingly enough almost all were in rural custom homes where the older owners preferred to hand wash but were either talked into, or thought to, make sure everything was in place).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 02:27 PM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
I like white appliances because they're the only color that looks decent with my vintage red and white Wedgwood stove. However, if I ever replace my current white refrigerator, I'm contemplating getting a red refrigerator if I can find one in the same shade of red that the stove has. It would make an awesome contribution to the overall vintage look of the kitchen.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:30 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Yes, that was my thought at first, but then I got to figuring up how old the fridge is also...seems like it's about 15 years old. *sigh* I am not in a financial position to buy a whole matching set of appliances nor even replace them one by one with high-end stuff.

I think I've definitely decided against black...I just don't like it.
I wouldn't worry about a matching set, in the sense that they're from the same model line. I know some people do but plenty don't. My parents didn't when they remodeled their lake house. They have a not-so-high end fridge and a "nicer" mid-range and a high end dishwasher (noise.) And I wouldn't do high end if it isn't a house in a neighborhood that would warrant it, unless you want one for some reason (ie a quiet dishwasher, or a nice range since you like to cook.) If my house got wrecked in a tornado tomorrow I'd buy a really nice range and a the same cheap dishwasher I have and probably a fridge that isn't as nice unless I found a similar great deal to the current one.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:09 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Check out Slate which is an option for those sick of stainless steel's preciousness but want something more modern and clean/industrial in design. https://www.warnersstellian.com/feat...otion/ge-slate

Old 07-29-2021, 09:44 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I did a search and did not find anything about this.

We are needing to replace a dishwasher, and possibly a stove, in a house that we will eventually (possibly within 5 or so years) sell in order to downsize.

We now have a white refrigerator, black dishwasher, and almond stove. lol It's a long story, which I won't bore you all with.

So, I hear white appliances are coming back into fashion. It seems to me that black's popularity is waning, and people who have stainless steel hate the fingerprints (I do know there is a kind that won't show fingerprints, but in looking at appliances in Lowe's and Home Depot, it seems that it is not common yet).

So my question in a nutshell is....what color dishwasher should I buy with an eye toward future resale value? (Keep in mind that I already have a white fridge and may have to replace the stove also in the not-so-distant future.) I saw a pic with colored cabinets and white appliances and kinda liked it, myself. The cabinets in this house would definitely need to be repainted by new owners who wanted to update the kitchen, and I don't see the trend toward colored cabinets going away anytime soon.
White dishwasher and try to get all your appliances to match. It's one of my pet peeves when I look at houses to buy: mismatched appliances and the stove/oven right next to the refrigerator.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:26 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Slate which is an option for those sick of stainless steel's preciousness but want something more modern and clean/industrial in design. https://www.warnersstellian.com/feat...otion/ge-slate
unlike white, black, and stainless, slate IS a trend and IMO, will end up looking out of date in another few years. And very possibly will be difficult to find any replacements when one appliances inevitably needs to be replaced at some point.

I happen to think slate appliances are very attractive, but I don't think they are popular enough that they are going to stick around and become a fourth standard appliance color.

on the other hand, I have zero idea what "stainless steel's preciousness" is supposed to mean, and how it's meant to apply to an appliance color that has been in pretty common use for decades. For instance, here's Alice in The Brady Bunch cooking with stainless appliances
Attached Thumbnails
Appliance color trends?-alice-kitchen.jpg  

Old 07-29-2021, 11:03 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Fridges usually go with the homeowner is they are not built in
That depends on local custom. I have bought (and sold) in areas where the standard was to convey the fridge and in ones where it was not. Had a friend surprised when the stove as well as the fridge left with the sellers. The reason/excuse was 'Since it was plugged into an outlet it was not a permanent fixture and was not included'. Even my friends agent was shocked since she had always had stoves convey. The selling agent contended that the stove was no different than a table lamp since it used a plug and outlet instead of the older hardwired screwed on connectors that some houses still had or a gas line that needed a certified plumber to connect.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Who knows what the popular style would be then, even now stainless is losing ground to black stainless and slate, gloss or matte. More important, though, is the real estate market. The house across from us sold recently in 5 days with 7 offers over asking. The kitchen was original to the build date of 1978, including the avocado colored stove and refrigerator.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:15 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
I have bought and sold 17 houses due to corporate transfers. Get what you like. Half the people looking to buy will not like what you have no matter what you do.

People want stainless because the market tells them to want it. Just like gas stoves.

The current house we are in has butcher block real wood counters 2 inch thick on the dry side. The wet side has white whatever they are selling these days. We removed threw out granite. The carpenter who turned all the lower cabinets into deep drawers took all the stainless appliances because IMO, it's a PITA.

Every person who comes into this kitchen likes it enough to comment. I have had an induction cooktop for the last 20 odd years. Why anybody would want gas is a total mystery to me. The induction has better control, has no fumes and is as easy to clean as wiping off a counter. The appliances are all white except the induction cooktop.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:13 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,758,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I have had an induction cooktop for the last 20 odd years. Why anybody would want gas is a total mystery to me.

I would like gas stove, water heater (have) and heaters because of power outages. We had to just move out of our house for 4 days this past winter because of an ice storm, and we had no heat, no way to cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate