Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times

Advertisements

WOW Gold*dust!!

Okay- Has he actually been approved and just needed the house, or is he just 'pre-approved and still needs to secure definite financing?
Does he want you to pay any of his closing costs ?
How soon does he want to close?
Do you 'foresee' any issues with an inspection?

Based on that amount, Did your agent work you up a doohickey...oh a WHAT do you call it?? You know, the thing showing price-comission- costs = hopefully some $$ to you....
what is that darn thing called!!!

IMHO-
I tell you what- Daddy always said a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. If it were me and I wanted to MOVE I would take that offer, IF it is solid and get the heck out of dodge. When we had this one listed last yr. you can BET 11K under I'd have been on that like white on rice.

'Course you could counter halfway...
but me, I'd be packing

Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
I totally understand what your feeling. But please remember, we are all priced reasonably in here and some of us have dropped our prices 100,000 and still are not getting offers. I would go 1/2 way with him and be done with it. Just to not have to worry about showings and getting offers would be worth it to me. Besides that, what if you turn it down and 6 months from now you get an offer that is even lower than that? How do you figure your priced reasonably? Are you going by sold comps?

Kristine
Good points Kristine ARRGGGGG!!!!! You are in a much higher end home though if you have had to drop that much. We are a much, much different scenario.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
WOW Gold*dust!!

Okay- Has he actually been approved and just needed the house, or is he just 'pre-approved and still needs to secure definite financing?
Does he want you to pay any of his closing costs ?
How soon does he want to close?
Do you 'foresee' any issues with an inspection?

Based on that amount, Did your agent work you up a doohickey...oh a WHAT do you call it?? You know, the thing showing price-comission- costs = hopefully some $$ to you....
what is that darn thing called!!!

IMHO-
I tell you what- Daddy always said a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. If it were me and I wanted to MOVE I would take that offer, IF it is solid and get the heck out of dodge. When we had this one listed last yr. you can BET 11K under I'd have been on that like white on rice.

'Course you could counter halfway...
but me, I'd be packing
Thanks Crazyma, you are soooo funny! You have given some good info here and things to consider. I need to take a breath and focus. My nerves are getting to me.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Good points Kristine ARRGGGGG!!!!! You are in a much higher end home though if you have had to drop that much. We are a much, much different scenario.
I understand. Even though I am in a higher end home, I have already dropped $100,000 and if we get an offer this week, I am expecting to have to drop another $20,000. And I will JUMP at that offer.

Just take some time and think about what you want to do.

Kristine

Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
I understand. Even though I am in a higher end home, I have already dropped $100,000 and if we get an offer this week, I am expecting to have to drop another $20,000. And I will JUMP at that offer.

Just take some time and think about what you want to do.

Kristine
Will do I sure hope you get that offer and your point is well taken!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Default Still here

Hey campers, I have had intermittent internet on my laptop, my son has a desktop computer but it's slower than heck...future DIL said use her laptop, she went to work today...why she gets a signal and I don't I have no clue..irritates me.

First off! KRISTINE!!! That is wonderful news! What did DH say? I hope for a girl, since you already have a boy Ham..lol. I love the idea of online godmothers...honestly I have no idea what I would do without all of you

Well...we found a house. You know this house hunting is about as bad as selling. Everything is a short sale..they are just a nightmare..my agent said she has written about 17 offers on short sales, only one closed. Why they call them short, I have no clue. This market is like no other...

Back to the house, it's what we were looking for, 4 years old, 1835 square feet on one level..its a short sale but bank approved. It was sold and in the process and had bank approval...the buyer walked a few days ago, and they re listed it..we saw it Saturday and wrote the offer on Sunday after looking at other similar homes, this was a steal. So we figure there might be other offers, lots of folks were looking at it, so we wrote the offer for 8,000 over asking....we got back here to our son's and i was going to lay down for a little nappy and hubby comes in and says, we have to go back to the r.e. office. Well, our agent faxed over the offer and called the other agent, and the other agent said we had it..it was already approved and the bank did not have a 'name' on their paperwork so we slipped in to the previous buyer's slot. So we have like a 25 day escrow...we figure to close around the 9th or 10th of Feb.

Let me tell you we looked at some crap. Filthy, buggy, ugh..this one we are buying is clean, really clean..the only appliance we have to bring in is a refrigerator and our old white double door is in storage..the appliances are white..white tile...whole house painted, crown molding. Nice size backyard we need to add some plants but the patio slab and grass are there, has sprinklers front and back...a dog run on the side for when we need to 'jail' them, like when we have bbq outside or whatever.. anyway it will work just fine and we could both picture our goods in there, I can't wait to hang some artwork and family pics again...

It's about 3 miles from our sons...close to Target, Home Depot, markets..Bad thing, there is an HOA, which is hard to avoid in the newer areas...we did go to the clubhouse yesterday to look around...lots of treadmlls, etc..in the gym, two big pools, looked nice..our internet comes with the HOA, it's 115 a month which is not bad considering the internet..another bad thing, it has Mello Roos taxes..can't avoid that, either...So it all pushes our payment about 400 a month more than we planned, but if we are careful we will be fine...no cruises this year for us, we need to get through the wedding in April and those expenses, and that's it. And, I am going to try to find a part time job after we settle in..that would help and get me out of the house..now if I could talk hubby into being a greeter at Walmart or something.. This sitting around getting old is nonsense..

Well, i am going to try to catch up as I go along..Those that are having showings I am crossing fingers and sending that pixie dust along..things have to start moving along soon. It is just the most bizarre market, at least here in CA.

later,
Barb

Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Barb wow you work fast and congrats-sounds perfect.

Gold I'm with Hammie! Counter half.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:06 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Lacey..it just seemed 'right' if you know what I mean...we walked in and could just picture our things in there..but I am nervous, its costing more than we thought, but still less than renting..but the same floorplan a block away just sold for 30,000 more a couple weeks ago...its just nervewracking but once we get in and settled we can start living again...just cheaply!

Chat later, i dont have my msn messenger and the yahoo messenger keeps dumping me so i signed out...ugh..

i told you all about my car breaking down, didn't I? Hopefully it will be ready by tomorrow or Friday at the latest, we have to leave Friday night to get home by Saturday morning, my cousin has stuff going on and can't watch the dogs after Sat. morning...

Old 01-21-2009, 12:07 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Hey campers, I have had intermittent internet on my laptop, my son has a desktop computer but it's slower than heck...future DIL said use her laptop, she went to work today...why she gets a signal and I don't I have no clue..irritates me.

First off! KRISTINE!!! That is wonderful news! What did DH say? I hope for a girl, since you already have a boy Ham..lol. I love the idea of online godmothers...honestly I have no idea what I would do without all of you

Well...we found a house. You know this house hunting is about as bad as selling. Everything is a short sale..they are just a nightmare..my agent said she has written about 17 offers on short sales, only one closed. Why they call them short, I have no clue. This market is like no other...

Back to the house, it's what we were looking for, 4 years old, 1835 square feet on one level..its a short sale but bank approved. It was sold and in the process and had bank approval...the buyer walked a few days ago, and they re listed it..we saw it Saturday and wrote the offer on Sunday after looking at other similar homes, this was a steal. So we figure there might be other offers, lots of folks were looking at it, so we wrote the offer for 8,000 over asking....we got back here to our son's and i was going to lay down for a little nappy and hubby comes in and says, we have to go back to the r.e. office. Well, our agent faxed over the offer and called the other agent, and the other agent said we had it..it was already approved and the bank did not have a 'name' on their paperwork so we slipped in to the previous buyer's slot. So we have like a 25 day escrow...we figure to close around the 9th or 10th of Feb.

Let me tell you we looked at some crap. Filthy, buggy, ugh..this one we are buying is clean, really clean..the only appliance we have to bring in is a refrigerator and our old white double door is in storage..the appliances are white..white tile...whole house painted, crown molding. Nice size backyard we need to add some plants but the patio slab and grass are there, has sprinklers front and back...a dog run on the side for when we need to 'jail' them, like when we have bbq outside or whatever.. anyway it will work just fine and we could both picture our goods in there, I can't wait to hang some artwork and family pics again...

It's about 3 miles from our sons...close to Target, Home Depot, markets..Bad thing, there is an HOA, which is hard to avoid in the newer areas...we did go to the clubhouse yesterday to look around...lots of treadmlls, etc..in the gym, two big pools, looked nice..our internet comes with the HOA, it's 115 a month which is not bad considering the internet..another bad thing, it has Mello Roos taxes..can't avoid that, either...So it all pushes our payment about 400 a month more than we planned, but if we are careful we will be fine...no cruises this year for us, we need to get through the wedding in April and those expenses, and that's it. And, I am going to try to find a part time job after we settle in..that would help and get me out of the house..now if I could talk hubby into being a greeter at Walmart or something.. This sitting around getting old is nonsense..

Well, i am going to try to catch up as I go along..Those that are having showings I am crossing fingers and sending that pixie dust along..things have to start moving along soon. It is just the most bizarre market, at least here in CA.

later,
Barb
I am so excited that you found a home!!!! That is great news. Do you have the MLS # so we can all go take a peek at it?

Kristine

Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 PM

525 posts, read 1,298,256 times
Congrats Gold Dust on the offer, and congrats Hammy on the baby on the way! Wow!!!

I have great news -- we CLOSED today!!!!!!! Yippy!!! We lost a crapload of money on this house, and it sucks, but at the same time, we are so glad just to be done and to be free to do what we want to do. We learned a valuable lesson though - we will NOT be buying another home until we are 100% sure we will be staying in it for quite a while. I can't go through this again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate