Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Much better angle...would still push for you to move the porch swing...back yard...somewhere else. It really...shouldn't be there. Nothing personal.

Then, I realize, you have a large void. Suggestion, quality planter box with an attached, tall trellis...something lovely to climb it. Not the house. COLOR, texture. That's what's missing out there.
Get a good one, few hundred bucks spent...and then take it with you when you move.

What page are the updated interiors pictures on? I got to, what, 15 and gave up, skipped to the last page.

Our house was seriously cluttered because I had no place to put the stuff. The movers were going to pack it, would not be insured if I did it myself. Rock in a hard place. I took the chance with a few things but left the rest, because I had to. When able, always take 'stuff' out of the room and do whatever you can to make the space look large and clean. Furniture has to be at a minimum or of a style that still shows the room instead of covering it.

Before sale: we resided, painted the exterior, replaced tired vinyl with ceramic tile and put in sprinklers. Left other upgrades to the new owner and priced accordingly.
Huge improvement was the color, from dingy, drab neutrals to a light, fresh POW. It made such a difference. It had looked dull, dirty and boring with the old color.
I feel that your exterior could benefit from a color change, but if you're getting people at the door as it is, save your money to spend elsewhere. Paint ain't cheap, I know. It does look well-kept and that's very important.

We could not afford to play the waiting game, were moving and needed the money for another house. Two mortgages? No, thank you. Also, since we'd been there for 10 years, our listing price, even at a moderate range, was a profit for us.
We priced right under the other comparables - many flippers that flopped - in our neighborhood (they were asking 250-400 for .11 acre and 1500 to 2000 SQ FT...not moving, welcome to South Florida...) and sold within two months.

Those other houses are still on the market or have repriced.
Page 11 has the new pics. I had a showing yesterday and the young woman loved the house. The only concern she had, being a single woman, the yard might be too much for her to keep up with. (Why didn't she consider that before she looked at the home?) Anyhow, the realtor loved it and couldn't think of anything negative about it. She said if she has any buyers that are looking in the area, she will definately bring them by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 02:57 PM

800 posts, read 3,088,979 times
There are 7 active listings in the same subdivision alone and one pending listing in your subdivision. There are no sales this year in your subdivision. There are hundreds of homes for sale nearby your home. The nearest comp sold in the last two months is a 3/2, 1578 SF home built in 1993 and it sold for $162,000. It was on the market for 5 days and is just across SR 427 from your subdivision. It was not a short sale or a bank owned property. It closed April 30, 2009.

A sale within a mile of your home was recorded 5/22/09, a 3/2, 1452 SF pool home sold for $116.500K, built in 1973, and on the market for 13 days. It was bank owned.

These are comparable sales to your home with adjustments made for pools, age, and SF, and other factors.

There are 5 pending properties within a mile of your home that are comparable to your home. The list price that got them under contract range from $118,500 to $200,000 with an average of $152,000. You won't know what they sold for until they close. The lowest price home mentioned is in your subdivision. The others are very close by your property. When they close, they will be comparable comps to your home for the purposes of appraisal, along with the other two recently sold properties.

The average SF list price of those 5 pendings is just over $94/SF. You are listed at nearly $136/SF. Your home has been on the market since October with one price adjustment only. The market is speaking to you loud and clear.

Buyers have many listings to choose from today. If you price your home comparable to the last sales it will sell in a short time frame. When you chase a down market, sellers often end up frustrated and the house often takes longer to sell than if it were listed at the current market price to begin with.

Your house looks great from the photos and I wish you much luck with your sale.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
There are 7 active listings in the same subdivision alone and one pending listing in your subdivision. There are no sales this year in your subdivision. There are hundreds of homes for sale nearby your home. The nearest comp sold in the last two months is a 3/2, 1578 SF home built in 1993 and it sold for $162,000. It was on the market for 5 days and is just across SR 427 from your subdivision. It was not a short sale or a bank owned property. It closed April 30, 2009.

A sale within a mile of your home was recorded 5/22/09, a 3/2, 1452 SF pool home sold for $116.500K, built in 1973, and on the market for 13 days. It was bank owned.

These are comparable sales to your home with adjustments made for pools, age, and SF, and other factors.

There are 5 pending properties within a mile of your home that are comparable to your home. The list price that got them under contract range from $118,500 to $200,000 with an average of $152,000. You won't know what they sold for until they close. The lowest price home mentioned is in your subdivision. The others are very close by your property. When they close, they will be comparable comps to your home for the purposes of appraisal, along with the other two recently sold properties.

The average SF list price of those 5 pendings is just over $94/SF. You are listed at nearly $136/SF. Your home has been on the market since October with one price adjustment only. The market is speaking to you loud and clear.

Buyers have many listings to choose from today. If you price your home comparable to the last sales it will sell in a short time frame. When you chase a down market, sellers often end up frustrated and the house often takes longer to sell than if it were listed at the current market price to begin with.

Your house looks great from the photos and I wish you much luck with your sale.
I appreciate your input, but there are a couple things I have to say about my case. When I listed my house, I interviewed a couple of agents. After speaking with them, they were the ones who did the comps and told me what I should list the home at. The first said $235K, but then later said $229K. The second and third said $225. Therfore, I was taking the advise from local realtors. I understand that prices have gone down and I should adjust my price accordingly.
There was a house on my street that did sell in January, that was a foreclosure, but I don't know why it's not showing up on your end. Other than that, it's been a while (over a year) that anything else has sold. The area on the other side of 427 is not desirable and I'm not sure if it's Lake Mary High or not. The house that is under contract for 118K is very small and needs work. Those ppl are selling to break even for what they purchased it for. Anyhow, regardless those are the comps, I do understand.
My point is, why am I getting different opinions from you? I think, yes my price may needed to be adjusted at this point, but I can't justify for the amount that you are saying.
By the way, thanks for the compliment on my house.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:16 AM

Becky

I never suggested a price for you house. You have Realtor representation. I just posted facts about active, pending, and solds in your area and why properties don't sell.

Last edited by Dee2e; 06-16-2009 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 AM

99 posts, read 320,801 times
Quote:
Becky

I never suggested a price for you house. You have Realtor representation. I just posed facts about active, pending, and solds in your area and why properties don't sell.
Dee, I wouldn't put too much effort into pointing out recent comps to Becky's house. A number of posters tried to do the same thing earlier in this thread, but their advice was mostly ignored.

Becky, I live in Lake Mary, and based off of selling prices in the area, your house is about 30-40% overpriced. For what you're asking, you can buy a 1900 square foot 4 bed, 3 bath house. The $200-$250,000 market here is saturated with homes that are a much better value than what you are asking for. At the low end ($200), you can get a nice home, like mentioned above, in an established neighborhood. At the high end, you can buy an entry-level home in a golf course community like Timacuan or Heathrow. Don't believe me? Check the MLS, these homes are out there for those prices.

Even Zillow, which is notorious for over-valuing property, lists your property for less than what you are asking. The market has really come down since you initially listed your home, and your current price does not reflect that.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Becky

I never suggested a price for you house. You have Realtor representation. I just posed facts about active, pending, and solds in your area and why properties don't sell.
I aplologize if I misunderstood you and I didn't mean any offense to it. I was just trying to understand you better.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phirenzic View Post
Dee, I wouldn't put too much effort into pointing out recent comps to Becky's house. A number of posters tried to do the same thing earlier in this thread, but their advice was mostly ignored.

Becky, I live in Lake Mary, and based off of selling prices in the area, your house is about 30-40% overpriced. For what you're asking, you can buy a 1900 square foot 4 bed, 3 bath house. The $200-$250,000 market here is saturated with homes that are a much better value than what you are asking for. At the low end ($200), you can get a nice home, like mentioned above, in an established neighborhood. At the high end, you can buy an entry-level home in a golf course community like Timacuan or Heathrow. Don't believe me? Check the MLS, these homes are out there for those prices.

Even Zillow, which is notorious for over-valuing property, lists your property for less than what you are asking. The market has really come down since you initially listed your home, and your current price does not reflect that.
I have taken in advice from OP as I have lowered my price a while back. I did say that maybe I do need to adjust my price accordingly since I've listed it. My thing was that at the price per sq ft listed by the OP, I could not justify it. If I listed my house at that price, I'd be approximately $40K less than all of my neighbors that have their homes listed.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phirenzic View Post

Good advice, thanks!

Did you see the 4/3, 2200 SF pool home in Heathrow on the pond for $250,000? It's really in good shape. I had a buyer for it. One of the buyers lost their job. He did get another job but was afraid to go that high. They do have an executed contract on a very nice home nearby, 1600 SF, built in 2003, on the market for $184,500. The offer was a little lower and the seller accepted it without hesitation. They are more comfortable at this price point than the Heathrow home. DM me if you can't find that home. It's not my listing but it's a great looking home!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:54 AM

99 posts, read 320,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I have taken in advice from OP as I have lowered my price a while back. I did say that maybe I do need to adjust my price accordingly since I've listed it. My thing was that at the price per sq ft listed by the OP, I could not justify it. If I listed my house at that price, I'd be approximately $40K less than all of my neighbors that have their homes listed.
And if you listed at a price lower than your neighbors, whose house do you think would sell first? You either need to sell your house, or you want to. We're stuck in a declining market with a projected bottom still measured in years. By making small $10,000 adjustments to your price, you're only chasing the market down.

The reason you're not getting more people viewing your home is because your price simply isn't competitive with the homes that are selling.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:54 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,420 times
I agree with the other agents...I don't see anything special about your house that makes it stand out...it's just there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate