Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 02:36 PM

186 posts, read 794,716 times

Advertisements

You've done a stellar job and have a great open attitude to suggestions! Well done!

Now if I can make just one teeny, tiny suggestion??? THROW AWAY THAT DAMN BLUE U-SHAPED RUG AROUND THE TOILET!!!! They're up there on the tacky list with toilet roll covers that look like dolls and are just pee-catchers! Maybe just buy a $4 cotton rug from Target. Phew! I had to get that off my chest! Hope you're not offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 02:37 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Wow! That looks like a whole different house and gives an entirely different impression now. It even seems larger. I'm impressed.
I can't wait to see what you do with the outside.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:51 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugnubs View Post
Actually, I don't have any good suggestions for a new kitchen countertop, especially as granite is so costly. I might say that I'd avoid installing granite tiles though because it always ends up looking like a cheap job.
Granite is yesterday. People don't want it these days from everything I'm reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Here are a few of the things I've done to stage my home. I'm still working on it, but I'll update pics as it gets done. What do you think of the new pics?
I started replying before reading.. some covered this stuff...

Looks like you've been busting you're butt!
Looks great. I love your bathroom counters. FWIW, when you take the real listing pics, move the toilet brush out of the way.
I also would stagger the pots in the kitchen eating area.
The neutral shower curtain, I am not nuts about but like it better then the old. I found a cheap brown one at walmart, think brown or a bluish would look nice?

Quote:
I've also posted some directional signs in my neighborhood and I've been seeing more traffic. My flyers have been going too. Let's keep our fingers crossed! Once again, I thank you all sooo much!
One last suggestion, try to get pictures with better lighting on some.
These are fine for right now but I would like to see you find one of those pro photographers to do real pics. It is well worth the $100 - trust me.

Let me say you really need to pat yourself on the back.
Your house looks wonderful!
I give you a lot of credit for coming here and actually listening to suggestions. It's paid off so much! I bet if you looked at your old pics next to the new ones, even you would think so.

You're going to sell that house.
Not sure if I have any house selling dust left in me but if I do, it's going to you.!!!

*****house selling dust******
~Good luck!

Quote:
Thanks! Actually those are sheers! The comforter has a design on it and its satin, so it doens't look wrinkled to me. I did see the toilet brush too, I will remove that. I can't get a good pic of the downstairs bath without the brown mark. It's actually the putty to seal the seam. I could always get some neutral rugs.
You don't need to include a picture of that bathroom. Leave it out.
As for the bedding, see if you can find some inexpensive pillows with color, that would really make it pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Either buy an inexpensive rug that will fit around the toilet, or squat down to take the photo so you can keep the bottom of the toilet out of the shot.
No, do not add a rug. Buyers get grossed out by rugs around the toilet.
You don't have to have a picture of every room.
You want buyers to have a reason to walk your house.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
You've done a stellar job and have a great open attitude to suggestions! Well done!

Now if I can make just one teeny, tiny suggestion??? THROW AWAY THAT DAMN BLUE U-SHAPED RUG AROUND THE TOILET!!!! They're up there on the tacky list with toilet roll covers that look like dolls and are just pee-catchers! Maybe just buy a $4 cotton rug from Target. Phew! I had to get that off my chest! Hope you're not offended.
The rug is there to hide brown putty that is less attractive than the rug.

The other option would be to just remove that photo entirely.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:58 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The rug is there to hide brown putty that is less attractive than the rug.

The other option would be to just remove that photo entirely.
Exactly - remove the photo.
Thats my vote.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:02 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Granite is yesterday. People don't want it these days from everything I'm reading.

I started replying before reading.. some covered this stuff...

Looks like you've been busting you're butt!
Looks great. I love your bathroom counters. FWIW, when you take the real listing pics, move the toilet brush out of the way.
I also would stagger the pots in the kitchen eating area.
The neutral shower curtain, I am not nuts about but like it better then the old. I found a cheap brown one at walmart, think brown or a bluish would look nice?

One last suggestion, try to get pictures with better lighting on some.
These are fine for right now but I would like to see you find one of those pro photographers to do real pics. It is well worth the $100 - trust me.

Let me say you really need to pat yourself on the back.
Your house looks wonderful!
I give you a lot of credit for coming here and actually listening to suggestions. It's paid off so much! I bet if you looked at your old pics next to the new ones, even you would think so.

You're going to sell that house.
Not sure if I have any house selling dust left in me but if I do, it's going to you.!!!

*****house selling dust******
~Good luck!

You don't need to include a picture of that bathroom. Leave it out.
As for the bedding, see if you can find some inexpensive pillows with color, that would really make it pop.

No, do not add a rug. Buyers get grossed out by rugs around the toilet.
You don't have to have a picture of every room.
You want buyers to have a reason to walk your house.
Yes, I am pooped! Once again, thanks for the great suggestions! I'll be looking for last minute touches and pillows this weekend. I always wondered what the professional photographers cost. Not bad. I was thinking about changing that shower curtain out too. It's amazing how many things you can find around the house.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM

800 posts, read 3,089,283 times
Houses don't sell for one of three reasons: location, condition or price. You can't control the location. However, you can control the other two items. If you don't get showings and it's listed, it is usually overpriced for the current market.

The average days on market in my area is 104 days.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:42 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Sorry I'm a bit late in replying to your question. I updated a small bathroom in my house with a new vanity and granite countertop with undermounted sink from a big box store. The countertop came with the sink already attached, and although I'm not a big fan of granite, just this small improvement for about $400 made a big difference. Actually, I don't have any good suggestions for a new kitchen countertop, especially as granite is so costly. I might say that I'd avoid installing granite tiles though because it always ends up looking like a cheap job. Someone here probably has a better idea of what to do.

Any chance of resurrecting one of the best offers you received and trying to come to an agreement.....split the difference perhaps, or sweeten the deal in order to reach the profit you hope for? Apologies if I'm behind the news on this thread! Best of luck to you.
I would have liked to but,

The two offers consisted of:
1) The first deal the ppl wanted to offer more, but the bank wouldn't give it to them. Had they been able to get $10-12K more, it would have been a done deal. The offer was given in December.
2) The next offer was dead on, only $3K less than the asking price. There was no realtor involved either, so no commission. The buyers decided that the they didn't want to have a monthly payment that high although they were pre-approved for it. Therfore, they backed out. The offer was given in March.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Beckycat those photos look TONS better. One more suggestion (I know you are pooped) is to set the table in the photo.

Your photos aren't good quality BUT that are a huge improvement over what you had before. If you can have a pro come out and take photos, I think you'll be rocking.

You home looks 10 times bigger than before!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,953,454 times
If no one is coming to see the house, staging will hardly matter. Sounds like your house is priced too high for the market. A house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate